Shave dens?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GoldenHandTheJust, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Although this might seem condescending, it is an honest question.

I see so many people posting pictures/videos or writing about the countless number of razors, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves etc. they have; sometimes their possessions are over the roof like Nick here

Personally, I can understand if a person has two or three of each item. A straight razor for weekends, a safety razor for short on time and a cartridge razor for extremely short on time. Two brushes: one animal hair and one synthetic if you forget to soak your animal hair brush. Maybe 3 brushes because badger hair differs from boar hair.

By "each item", I do not mean multiple articles of the same thing (I have around 5 bottles of Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm which I love and 7 packs of blades so I don't have to run to the store to buy them).

What is the use of owning a Merkur, a Muhle, an Edwin Jager, a RazoRock razor along with soaps to last 3 lifetimes and more than 5 brushes? I honestly want to know your point of view, not that I'm ever likely to establish a shave den.

Paul Turner, Spyder, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very good question. First, each of us is different. Many here have their "go to" setup and that's it. Others have extensive collections of razors, brushes, soaps, aftershaves and the like. Still others are in the middle, like you. It's all good.

I started wet shaving about 4 years ago with a single razor (DE89) and a single brush after years of using an electric. Now I have about 60 razors and a half dozen brushes, but only the soap I need for now. "Why?" you say. Because I find it enjoyable to try out different razors, brushes and soaps. They are definitely NOT all alike. DE razors vary in performance from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. And then there's injectors, SE's and straights.

So, why not have just a basic setup or two? I feel it's because I enjoy what's become more than the daily task if shaving. It's now an enjoyment and a hobby.

The key is "to each his own" or, as we say here, "Your mileage may vary- YMMV". Have fun, it's your shave.[​IMG]

Herm

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

30+ DEs
    10+ SEs
    8 Straight Razors
    19 (give or take) Brushes
    30+ Soaps
    Couple of creams
    Half-a-dozen or so aftershaves/balms
    'Bout a dozen colognes
    Blades - I've settled on Astra SPs and an Israeli blade made for the Base Exchange. I do have about six other brands of about 10 blades each.

All get used in rotation.
    DEs - different one every day, Monday through Friday
    Straight Razors - Different one every Saturday
    SEs - different one every Sunday

I don't play favorites. If I don't like something, it doesn't go in the rotation or get used.

I use them all because I enjoy them all.

You don't eat the same thing every meal, do you? Or wear the same clothes every day, even if they do get cleaned?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Paul Turner, Aztecmike, MR41 and 9 others like this.
  4. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Don't need much room for a single mug, brush and razor! Don't need much money either.

PastorAndy914, brit, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Different strokes................

PickledNorthern, brit, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Variety. Wet Shaving as a hobby allows one to collect and sample a number of styles of both shaving hardware and software.
    Guitarists can 'get by' using a single guitar to make music but I know few serious guitarists who only have a single instrument. A good number of them have a rather extensive collection. Guys who enjoy hunting or target-shooting rarely have a single rifle at their disposal. Many have gun safes. As with these particular interests, wet-shaving allows men to indulge their tastes—and unlike those two other hobbies I mentioned, the cost of entry & maintenance is far lower with wet shaving.

Spyder, Redfisher, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  7. swarden43

Truth.

Spyder, Dansco, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

This question comes up every now and again so I’m giving the same response I’ve given in the past.

Why does Jay Leno have several garages full of cars?
    Why did Solomon have 700 wives and 300 concubines?

Seriously, I don't think I could handle 700 wives but I do think I would like a large car collection. Unfortunately I can only afford a large razor collection so that's what I have. And a large soap collection...and...

Aztecmike, Arnout, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Minimalists get there two ways. Starting out they acquire one each of the necessary items. Some folks do the research trusting the opinions of others, get lucky with their purchases, or are gifted with heirloom gear. The rest of us are enjoying trying products that have turned a formaly onerous chore into a fun activity. When the second type of Minimalist find what they were seeking they divest themselves of all the unnecessary clutter.
    I've experienced straight razors & shavettes, DE's & SE's and kept the ones I enjoy. I still purchase the odd low priced razor I find in thrift or antique stores to trade, sell, or PIF. I like boar & synthetic brushes, but to know I tried badger, and I still want to see how floppy a horse hair really is. I have factory made brush handles, and custom crafted pieces of functional art made from a cypress limb I cut from a tree in my fathers orchard. I don't "need" as many as I own, but I enjoy them. Soaps and aftershaves are for the fun of variety. Back in my drudgery shaving days I owned no AS and one can of shave gel or cream and used it until it needed replacing. Now I pamper my face with choices.
    Collecting is the hobby. Shaving is the art. (Was that your line Steve @swarden43 ?)

Aztecmike, GatorJoe, brit and 7 others like this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I use vintage razors, and I like variety.

I don't wear the exact same clothes every day either, or eat the same food, etc....

As for brushes, I also prefer vintage, I clean, repair, and re-knot them, which is a whole separate hobby in itself.

There are no rules to this thing, it is just shaving after all, do what makes you happy. :happy088:

Aztecmike, brit, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  11. swarden43

Yes. The complete line is:
    Collecting is the hobby. Shaving is the art. We use what we collect to refine the art.

Aztecmike, brit, Spyder and 7 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am not a collector of razors. My entire inventory fits in a coffee cup. The conscious decision was made that I would keep one razor of each style (TTO, 3pc, adjustable, injector, shavette, straight) so that I could do the different gear and technique foci that come up in a recurring newbie thread. Shaving, for me, is judged by results, and the realization hit long ago that any sharp blade will do just fine. Razor collecting is not the same activity as shaving, and for those new to the forum world the distinction is sometimes blurry. People who make a conscious decision to collect razors are simply collector hobbyists, and it's no different than collecting coins or stamps. To debate "need" for such items, one must define need. If someone "needs a hobby", razor collecting is a fun option. However, I agree with the OP's generalization that there is no real "need" for anyone own more than one razor and the requisite supplies. Wet Shaving is an example of an activity or hobby that is done differently by different people, and provides different benefits for each individual.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well said, Chris. I have become a collector/hobbist myself, but I use all my razors. I do have some that I want to pif or trade away, but it will be hard for me to reduce my collection. I really like just about every razor I have.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why not have everything? If you can afford it, it's no harm.
    I've been wet shaving for 5 years now, which means I've hated shaving for 35 years.

Spyder, Jayaruh, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the comments. Variety is what changes things from tedious chore to fun hobby. Nobody needs more than 1 of anything.

I've started getting rid of anything that doesn't get use. There are a few vintage razors that I don't really use, but I've set aside in case my son might in 10 years. Anything modern that I don't use has been given to friends.

RaZorBurn123, Spyder, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

And you can always count on us to help you dispose of your unwanted gear, too.

Herm

brit, Spyder, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm somewhere in the middle, as I am reasonably practical (or I like to think I am). Ideally I would like to own one DE, one straight, one favourite brush, soap, one type of pre and post products maybe. However...

I only began a more traditional shaving approach in August this year, and started with my dad's tech that's been lying around unused for years. By the end of my 30 day focus, I owned four. I was looking to try a few and find one I liked as opposed to using one because I have to. By November I owned 8, and now I own 6 (one is on loan to my brother) and I've added a straight.

I have 4 tubs of soap which will probably last me years, as well as three creams, but yesterday I bought two more soaps.

Like others have said above, variety.

RaZorBurn123, Spyder, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  18. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

My bills get paid. My kids have clothes and food in their bellies. I don't drink excessively, nor do I partake in illegal drugs. I'm faithful to my wife. And I enjoy collecting and using shave gear. I could get by with one of everything, but why should I if I enjoy having more?

jaro, brit, Briscoe and 9 others like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

"I choose razors as a hobby"

No justification needed.

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Need? No

Enjoy? Yes

It’s a hobby, I use everything and if I don’t like it it finds a new home. I don’t display my shave goodies so I think I’m a hobbies but not a collector.

brit, RaZorBurn123, jtspartan and 6 others like this.