Maggards Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Spyder, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Ok Michiganders (and others). Mark your calendars. Maggards has a tentative date of June 2 for their 4th annual event.
    I’ve not attended, but this year, I’m holding that date sacred.
    Anyone else planning or wanting to attend???
    https://www.maggardrazors.com/2018-meet/

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I usually attend.

Previously it’s been a few weeks earlier and I try to take the bike.

It’s a nice ride down and back (if you stay on two lanes) plus there’s a few nice antique shops in the area.

Let me know if you’ll be riding and maybe we could meet for breakfast on the way.

Jim99 and Keithmax like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That would be a nice ride. I’ll plan on that. But that just means it’ll probably rain.

Jim99 and John Beeman like this.
  4. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

If you will be anywhere neat Blissfield, eat at Lena's. Italian cuisine.

Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Too bad I live in New Jersey. Maybe I could roll it into a visit to the Ford Motor Company museum.

Spyder likes this.
  6. Macktheknife

Greenfield Village/Ford Museum is in Dearborn, maybe 90 minutes from Adrian. If you make it to Dearborn, stop at Miller's Bar for a burger.

Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This sounds like a good reason for a road trip. I might be able to do this.

Spyder likes this.
  8. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I live in central Ohio and i'm thinking about going this year, looked it up and it's a 3.5-hr drive each way.

For those that have been, how much time you typically spend at the meet? .. and yes i know some guys can stand around and BS for hours upon hours.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That would be about a 6 hours for me. I think my better half would get a little cranky if I attend, but sounds like fun. :happy088:

10. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I went last year with my son and we are both planning on going this year. We had a good time, talked to folks, smelled the scents, met the artisans, ate lunch, hung for the raffle, and then bought a few things we liked. We were there probably 5-6hrs. Then on the way back, we stopped to watch Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and had some dinner. It was a great day out.
    Steve

Halvor, Spyder, John Beeman and 3 others like this.
  11. John Beeman

In the past, they would serve lunch in the middle of the day and then have the raffle drawing later in the afternoon so if you show up in the morning and want to stay for the drawing, you can be there awhile. This year it looks like they are considering providing snacks (rather than lunch) so there can be more room on the floor for vendors (and more attendees) without having to have space taken up with lunch tables.

My practice in previous years has been to show up early but that's mostly because I've donated raffle prizes. I think one year I might have shipped prizes ahead.
    Last year I showed up early, dropped off some prizes, and then took off to hit some area antique stores. I came back for lunch and didn't stay for the raffle drawing.

Besides the raffle drawing, your entrance ticket gets you plenty of samples, the whole store inventory is available for purchase, and last year there was a large PIF table where attendees swapped lots and lots of products. You could potentially come home with several years worth of goodies.

If you've never been to a brick and mortar shaving store, it's well worth the trip. Nothing like holding things in your hand (hardware) and sniffing various scents (software). Plus, the group is wonderfully friendly and congenial, it's great to shake hands with folks you've only known online, and Brad and Casie (and staff) are absolutely terrific hosts.

12. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm in PA, you can pick me up on the way!

Spyder, John Beeman and Jim99 like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

UPDATE:
    • I've got my calendar Marked and reservation will be booked shortly.

This year, the event will be capped at 275 spots – 20 vendors and 255 attendees, and we’re charging a nominal ticket fee to secure your spot. For $15.00, you’ll receive:
    • $10.00 meal voucher for a participating restaurant in downtown Adrian
    • Free soft drinks, water, and snacks for the day
    • Guaranteed samples/freebies from most of the 20 vendors in attendance
    • MASSIVE Pay-it-forward table. Bring your old, unused, or unwanted items, drop them on the table, and pick up anything from the table that fancies you. RULES: For software, you may donate full size products in their original packaging with minimum 50% of the product remaining. No sample sizes or “home made” packaging please! Hardware should be clean and functional (no defective / unsafe razors).
    • Entrance into drawings for door prizes (Guaranteed 75+ winners chosen, some big ticket items!)
    • A drink ticket valid for one pint of brew from Cotton Brewing – Adrian’s craft brewery – who will be set up at the event. Don’t Drink? no problem! Cotton will also have a locally brewed non-alcoholic beverage available (Cider or Root Beer, we’ll see!)
    • The opportunity to meet and greet with some of the wet shaving’s most popular artisan vendors!

DOWNTOWN ADRIAN FOOD CHOICES

This year, we’ve teamed up with local restaurants downtown to give you several food choices. Turn in your MEAL TICKET to any one of 3-4 participating restaurants and Maggard will pick up the first $10.00 of your bill!

Restaurants currently on board:

• Sauce Italian Grill
    • The Grasshopper (Mexican)
    • The Brick Wall (Burgers/Bar food)
    LOCAL CRAFT BREWER ON SITE!

We’ve teamed up with Cotton Brewing – Adrian’s local craft brewer to bring you a selection of locally produced beer. Check out Cotton Brewing’s Facebook Page and Website!

[​IMG]

CONFIRMED VENDORS & NOTABLE GUESTS (as of 1/30/18)

• Above the Tie
    • Stirling Soap Company
    • Barrister & Mann
    • Blackship Grooming
    • Catie’s Bubbles
    • Captain’s Choice
    • Chatillon Lux
    • Declaration Grooming
    • Dr. Jon’s Handcrafted Soap Co.
    • Henri Et Victoria
    • Mickey Lee Soapworks
    • Noble Otter Soap Co.
    • Rockwell Razors
    • Sapone di Paolo
    • Shannon’s Soaps
    • Storybook Soapworks
    • Sudsy Soapery
    • Through the Fire Fine Crafts
    • Timeless Razor
    • Wholly Kaw

• Alex Hart (Trythatsoap.com)
    • Michael Freedberg (Youtube Sensation!)
    • Stephen Joiner (Dogwood Handcrafts)

John Beeman likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I see Stirling will be back. I can't make it, but this occasion will mark one year since I learned Rod's correct screen name pronunciation. . I always had it as " Ez- Low Van", not "Easy Lovin".

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Spyder likes this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

13 hours for me, can't do it.

Spyder likes this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

LOL. At least I now know how to pronounce it! I learn something every day here :)

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The guy from the Meet-up embarrassed me 5 seconds into his video, as he had Rod with him. I've decided to do a Maggard order from its own line-adding it to my 2019n shopping list. I ordered my L&LGrooming Aftershave from the M boys a couple years ago, and was very impressed with the shipping quickness.

18. Macktheknife

Heard all booked up some time back, is that correct?

19. K-zone

K-zone Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the two hour drive and making a day of it with my better half - a kid in a candy store....

20. John Beeman

No. That is not correct.
    As of this morning (per Maggards website) there were 81 spaces still available.