Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Me too...........

20180101_202637_preview.jpg

brit, MR41, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love the feel of the handle. Even though it is long, the shape makes it very easy to maneuver. It is much easier to shave the upper lip with an injector. I like the shave better than any of the Gillette adjustables. It is a smooth shave and the blades last longer, too. I could easily make this my only razor, but I get too much pleasure from shaving with all kinds. I like the variety.

Jim99, LOOT, twhite and 2 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The shave from the M beats snot out of any DE adjustable shave. IMHO. Yell at me if you want to try it out. I do not have a nice set like those but I do have an M you can borrow.

That being said I will break out a Slim or Black Beauty and play along one Friday.

LOOT, twhite and sdguero like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't had an issue with that for decades.
    Current graspable appendage;
    Sthache 01012018.gif
    (Taking a clue from another thread that claims to be un-hijackable :cool:)

During November of 2017 I Focused on a Futur clone, an adjustable DE by Ming Shi. For folks that haven't tried an Adjustable Gillette it's an inexpensive alternative. I trained up my Fat Boy technique to setting nine, but the Chinese produced Clone suits me around setting five of a possible six.
    Ming Shi 2000S.gif

MR41, LOOT, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I got one of those clones too. It is big, but it does a fine job.

sdguero and RyX like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have an older model Merker Progress...does it shave similar? Never used a futar.

sdguero and RyX like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I only have experience with the Futur clone. I figured for $10 it was worth the try, and it was. That being said, I prefer the Schick M to it, too.

sdguero, RyX and wchnu like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

One of these days, I need to get someone to look at my two SA-109s. One has a good head but holes in the handle (probably from internal corrosion). The other one seems to have a good handle, but has some marks on one of the safety bars and one end cap (like someone had to straighten it). Both shave well, but I'd really like to see if I could get one good one made out of the two.

LOOT, sdguero and RyX like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is a good reason you preferit.

sdguero likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds like a job for that guy at b&b - CaptMurph - vintagerazorrepair@gmail.com. I haven't done any business with him, but I hear he's the man for vintage Gillette repairs.

LOOT, Herm2502 and sdguero like this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

He's the one I was thinking of. I recently read, however, that he may have stopped working on SA's because of the frequent issues with internal corrosion/damage.

LOOT, sdguero, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

... and that's the problem you are experiencing. At the risk of ending up with two parts razors you might try a disassembly yourself. My choice of an early #195 is in part for the tiny threaded cap under the adjustment knob. It's not crimped - it's got threads that allow for User Serviceability. If breaking down a vintage machine and hopes of reassembly don't suit you, appreciating it as is while looking for another may have to satisfy.

If you choose to do the tear down let me know. I've got or can find an "exploded" diagram detailing internals, and photos of a Fat Boy I partially disassembled.

LOOT and sdguero like this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You are correct. He mentioned to me last weekend that the aluminum in the SA razors was prone to corrosion inside making restoration nearly impossible.

Herm

LOOT, RyX and sdguero like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ahem Fuzzy! I just saw this. I will join in on Friday. I have a Fat Boy I picked up a few weeks ago for $7. I have not used any DE in almost 2 years. This will be fun.

I won’t tell the others if you don’t.

Hers my weapon of choice. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MR41, brit, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

When in Rome old bean...... It is just good form to play along with the natives. We will just say we were in Vegas. That is a mighty fine 7 buck razor by the way.

Jim99, LOOT, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Fluffyskiador

Fluffyskiador Active Member

Hi, one of this Shick Adjustable.

[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

MR41, Jim99, Jorvaljr and 4 others like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No one played along today? Or are we posting pics somewhere else? So GAF. I used a P-1 Super. This is either the first or second safety razor I ever used. I was around 13 when I started shaving and this razor along with a Lady Gillette was in the med cabinet. I have used it off and on over the years. Today the Dollar store Dorco STD-301 did a fine job. The soap is The Shaving Factory. Nice scent and great lather with the JR 176/ Omega Boar. Finished off with Dollar Sto smells like Brut. All in all a great shave. I did somehow manage to nick my ear. Strange.
    [​IMG]

Jim99, jtspartan, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm an every - other - day shaver. Yesterday and tomorrow. Thanks for posting Fuzzy! I picked up a Black Beauty like your about a month ago, it's going to one of my sons as soon as the brush I'm restoring is ready. Oh, your Jayaruh brush has the ferrule and knot from an Omega Pro #10098! I've got two of them and they are about the best boar brush out there.

LOOT and sdguero like this.
  19. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I was feeling under the weather and didn't shave today.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RyX and sdguero like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

He will love it I bet. Yup its a hand turned handle with the big ole boar on it. I love this big ole boar.

Hope your feeling better soon!

RyX and sdguero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.