Saving Money

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

When I started DE shaving I researched all the pros and cons. One of the pros that convinced me to switch from cartridges was all the money I was going to save. I was spending around 42 dollars a month on blades over 500 dollars a year "The Best A Man Can Get" The saving on blades was very attractive me and still is. However then came the razor, soap, brush, after shave and all the other cool stuff. Well I lost my mind and opened my wallet and have spent way more than I thought. So in 2017 I can honestly say I did not save a dime and would have saved if I had not switched over. LOL I am now stocked up on everything I need and want. So I hope I can now control myself and enjoy the savings of DE shaving. Please pray for me. LOL

Semper Fi

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too late.

3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Addiction! :signs136:

4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

same reason I got into WS, the sake of saving money because the carts that were non Gillette and cheaper they were horrible to shave with them. Gillette carts are top notch but also expensive. To say the least now I spend more but Im stacked for years to come into shaving. Most likely will collect few more vintage Gillette razors and collect few more modern SS ones and that would be it for me because I have all the blades,razors,brushes,soaps, colognes and witchazels that I need, most likely I will run out of witch hazel and aftershave in about couple of years, soaps for the next 5 years, blades for the next 10-20 years, razor for the next 5 lifetimes LOL.

I have to admit its being fun switching to DE/SE razors and anyways I always wanted to learn how to shave this way and its more fun and interesting that I shave every night, something my dad never taught me because by the time I started shaving he switched from DE to carts

Flyingbald, Eeyore, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to shaving as a lifestyle, not a chore!

6. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

It seems that you have converted shaving from a chore into a hobby.

I never judge anyone for whatever they spend (Or don't spend) on their hobbies.

Congratulations!

Flyingbald, Marine68 and Eeyore like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I figure I would have blown it on something else anyway. :D

AGHisBBS and Marine68 like this.
  8. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I made the final switch to DE because I hated cartridges and how they clogged up. I was so fed up on cartridges that I would even have made the switch if I would know it would be more expensive... and more expensive it became initially.

Now, about 5 years later I am finally cured from RAD. I have no idea of how many razors I have tried anymore. Last two razor purchases were made at late summer and honestly I have not been in mood to even try them yet. My current favorite razors, iKon X3 and Saiver travelers razor, give such a good shaves that very seldom I get in mood to try something else and I only rotate according to mood. I have done a couple of shaves with my previous favorites and I still get good shaves from them, but not just the same good as from my current top favorites.

I guess the RAD ends once you find a razor giving such a good shave that most of the other razor feel like a disappointment. iKon X3 is not perfect. It is difficult to load the blade as the alignment pins are way too narrow to automatically align the blade and the blade tabs are covered. But I find the mild but efficient shave I get from it unique. If they would make a high precision version of this very razor, I would again spend money on razors, but until then I feel almost no motivation to buy anything.

Marine68, Eeyore and Enrico like this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Best of luck.

Marine68 likes this.
  10. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Alot of us initially started wet shaving with the same mentality that it would save money .. then the RAD came along and we want every razor that is discussed in the forum, every soap someone mentions is the "best" every style of brush badger, boar, synthetic and before long we have an entire bathroom full of shaving stuff ....
    Then you finish a shave with your $35 Edwin Jagger using a $9 synthetic brush and all along are thinking "what a wonderful lathering brush and what a smooth shaving razor" then you look at all your gear and sometimes wonder "why did i buy all these $100-$300 razors and $20 soaps etc"

Welcome to Wet Shaving

Flyingbald, Marine68 and Eeyore like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Cheaper then hookers to pass the time (ummm so I hear)...... Just saying.

AGHisBBS, Jim99, Marine68 and 4 others like this.
  12. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Depends, there are prolly some really cheap hookers out there :p

Marine68, GarnerPW and wchnu like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried that explanation with my woman. Not my best idea.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yeaaaaaa. I can see that not working out.

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I have three DE razors, three brushes, a couple of soaps, and a handful of aftershaves (okay, a bit more than a handful really). So compared to modern cartridge users, I am probably saving money indeed.

However, before I found out about shaving forums, I had one razor, one brush, one soap, and one ASB. So the shaving forums definitely have cost me money

My weakness clearly is aftershaves, and maybe soaps. I don't care too much about shaving "hardware" really, and I don't have the slightest interest to dive into straights or SE razors. That probably is a wallet saviour ;)

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Marine68 and Keithmax like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Spent FAR less before the "change". However, I have more enjoyment now. :happy036:

Marine68 likes this.
  17. Marine68

We are all doomed.......... LOL

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Think of it this way....

We’re saving gobs of money on shaving and now spending it on a hobby.

:)

Marine68 likes this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Jeesh, I cannot believe I’m the only one saving a ton of money :innocent

Marine68 likes this.
  20. Marine68

I think you are "Fake News" LOL @Spyder

Flyingbald likes this.