First shave. PAA Starling GEM razor.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I second that thought.... :kar:

2. riffin

riffin Active Member

How do the base and cap fit together without a blade?

Redfisher and SpeedyPC like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

About the same. you still get the pivot effect as the handle tightens.

4. Redfisher

Contacted customer service today and they sent a return label. I wasn't offered a replacement for whatever reason. I gave a fairly detailed description of the issue and said if a replacement would be the same then just issue a refund. I think they sold a bunch of them so maybe we'll hear about others with the same issue.

5. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Funny, a few people say they are pleased and getting really great shaves .. are their razors made different to where there is not the pivot effect?

Keithmax and Redfisher like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

It could be one particular bad batch, I suppose. I also get the impression from what I've read that the Beta plate has less issues than the other one.

Redfisher and LuvWetShavin like this.
  7. Redfisher

That or they just don't know any better.

Str8on2 and LuvWetShavin like this.
  8. Redfisher

Well the set I had the Beta was less of a problem but still had issues. Either way I'm out.

Str8on2 and LuvWetShavin like this.
  9. Redfisher

You should post some pictures showing this so we can see the difference.

Str8on2 likes this.
  10. Redfisher

Razors are now "sold out"

11. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Someone else said maybe they've received so many inquiries about problems with them that they quit selling any more?

12. Redfisher

That's what I was thinking.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

At some point you quit bailing and abandon ship.

14. J Philip

J Philip New Member

I was told today that they will email all on the email list an update on an improved baseplate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. TurtlePL

TurtlePL New Member

@J Philip - Funny... I have email from PAA and "The razor is how it is supposed to be."
    Is it better with that shim?
    I shaved today with yellow plate - BBS after 3 passes - wasn't bad but for me R41 is much more enjoyable...
    Blue plate is to mild but maybe after a few shaves and finding correct angle it will change (It`s my first SE razor).
    @Str8on2 Have you already received a replacement?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    PLAla likes this.
  16. Str8on2

A V3 in Stainless is available for under a Ben Franklin. I did not get along with either of the Aluminum versions and gave up on them very quickly. Not sure if this one will improve the shave performance but, the quality alloy is definitely an upgrade. Looks pretty good to. Both base plates included in the purchase price.

mail.png
    ssstarling6_1020x1020.png
    ssstarling4_1020x1020.png
    ssstarling3_1020x1020.png

Hembree likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No it doesn't. It has the worst machining marks I've ever seen on a razor.
    Screenshot_2023-08-11-00-30-20-30_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg
    That is straight up garbage machining, and I can't believe they used that as the photo op razor. Do you not see the horrendous gouges? Any other manufacturer would either straight up reject it, or sell it half price as a second.

Edit: granted, they aren't in a spot that would be readily visible, and there's limits to how much polishing you can do to that area without changing the aggressiveness and fit of the razor, but still, it doesn't bode well for the precision of the fit. That kind of sloppiness has a way of filtering into other aspects of the razor.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    gorgo2 likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

"No sir! You see, those are out special hydrodynamic 'rings' designed to swirl away water and soap from the shaving surface for an unbelievable shave!"

- some sales weasel

19. Str8on2

What can I tell you? Hopefully, that particular sample won't be sent to anyone and was an oversight on PAA's part. Overall, they have produced some quality razors at some very affordable prices.

To quote one of the great motivational speakers of our time;

"I'd rather be lucky most of the time than be great some of the time."

-Vince Lombardi
    Credit also to Lefty Gomez

I'm assuming and hoping most shave enthusiasts who purchased one will get lucky. :eatdrink047:

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I agree, having owned and shaved with various PAA razors over the years.

I asked @twhite to take a look at this one, and he agreed that it's "bad machining." His best guess is that "the parts are not secure enough and are vibrating during machining...or too slow of a cutter speed," resulting in "pulling on the part." Both of those scenarios are mistakes in the set-up and layout portion of the process, not inherent flaws in the design itself.

One hopes that the actual design flaws in the previous iteration haven't made their way into this model as well. The world needs more good modern GEM razors, not less.

Edit:
    Official statement from PAA: "...A note on the machine marks. You will notice little circular machine marks on the bottom plates. We thought these marks emulated soap bubbles, which seemed fitting and gave a nice texture and effect, making these razors even more unique."

Oooookaaaaay. That's like a used car salesman talking about orange peel in the paint, (a defect), and passing it off as helping 'the aerodynamics of the vehicle.'