Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I like the polished, it looks really nice. Also, seems some have complained about sharp edges on the machined and black oxide versions that don’t exist on the polished, though others might know more about that. I bought directly from the Blackland website.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you prefer open comb razors, go with the open comb. If you prefer bar, go with bar. I like the longer handle vs. the 72 mm handle. I'm not sure if the really short 72 handle is still an option.

It's my go to razor when I decide to go for a one pass shave.

Both of mine are machined. Polished wasn't an option when I ordered. I would have gone with the polished option if it had been available.

LOOT likes this.
  3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Mine seems pretty responsive to blades. The Personna worked really well as do Astras and Rapiras. Voskhods don't, but are just the ticket for other razors. I have plenty of Astra blades, so likely will use those the rest of the year with mine.

Spud and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I noticed the same thing. Personna Lab Blues and Feathers work well, but make the razor feel a tad bit aggressive. Astra SP's and most other Russian blades work great, but Voskhod blades are duds in the Blackbird.

...then again, Voskhod blades are duds for me in most razors.

Halvor and Spud like this.
  5. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I think the Blackbird works better with sharper blades like Personnas. I haven't tried Voskhods with mine, but I don't think they would work well with it. You probably need to adjust your angle a little bit as well. Don't give up. It might take a few shaves to dial it in.

Spud likes this.
  6. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

@Spud Have you tried other blades during the passing week since your last reported BB shave above? For me it’s Astras, Nacets and Polsilvers — as with any other razor. I also think you should try to shift the angle if you feel it tugging, raise your hand a notch. There’s a sweet spot there that is incredibly smooth and efficient; too shallow and you’re scraping/tugging, too steep and you get too much friction from the topcap against the skin (for me at least, with the machined).

PLANofMAN and Spud like this.
  7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I tried an Astra SP yesterday; not bad. I will keep experimenting. Many thanks.

Halvor likes this.
  8. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Last night I used a Voskhod again and had a very good shave. Three passes, went slower than usual, took my time and it went excellent. It’s a nice razor. I won’t return it.

9. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

OCtober 2017 - day 27.

[​IMG]

Blackland "Blackbird" OC with long (101 mm) handle.
    Asco Super Stainless (red wrapper) (7).

J&T® padoek / finest 2-band.
    Scheermonnik "Delfts wit".
    Hugo Boss Bottled EdT.

jason koonce, Spud and Troy M like this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I ordered my polished Blackbird SB and am eagerly awaiting arrival. My hope is that it will fit in nicely between my Timeless OC .95 and the Timeless Bronze. Time will tell.

TestDepth and LuvWetShavin like this.
  11. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

You will love it! I have the same Blackbird and have had it since Feb 2016 (mine was the first polished version Shane did) i also have the Timeless Bronze and i really like it as well

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    TestDepth and LOOT like this.
  12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Looking to join the party.
    Love this razor - both form and function.
    E037B81D-0AF4-4893-99B9-1A53EDFBE4F4.jpeg
    The patina has been coming in nicely over the past 2 years. :)
    Tom.

Flyingbald, ShaneS, Spud and 2 others like this.
  13. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I thought you did custom sanding to get it that way. Mine has changed a little, but not that much.

ShaneS and TestDepth like this.
  14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I wish I took a picture of this razor when I bought it so I could compare. Not sure how much it changed or just how much my mind thinks it changed :)

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  15. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

upload_2017-12-8_10-49-13.jpeg

First shave this morning. I love this razor. As I mentioned, I wanted this to fill in between the Timeless Bronze and their .95. I'm only 1 shave in but this thing is AWESOME!

@ShaneS does amazing work, a true craftsman. The fit and finish are outstanding. The dremel polishing wheel sticking out of the high quality packaging was a fantastic touch. Kudos, friend.

clint64, TestDepth and LuvWetShavin like this.
  16. LuvWetShavin

Congrats, i knew you'd love it ! Enjoy

LOOT and clint64 like this.
  17. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful razor. I just don’t think I can jump on that price

LOOT likes this.
  18. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Has anyone on here taken on the hours needed and polished up a machined finish one?

ShaneS and jason koonce like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Going to join y'all for a week or so. James @LOOT was kind enough to loan me his polished Blackbird.
    Now I've got 30 pages of this thread to read so I can appreciate this beautiful DE!
    LOOTs Blackland Blackbird.gif

Troy M, LOOT, Fluffyskiador and 2 others like this.
  20. LuvWetShavin

Congrats! You will really like it and i'm betting you'll be wanting one after a few shaves with it

LOOT and Fluffyskiador like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.