What's The Deal With Pre-Shaves??

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

The only pre-shave lotion I have ever tried is the one from The Art of Shaving. It seemed oily and viscous, which I did not like, nor did I perceive any benefit during the shave. So what's up with these pre-shave oils/lotions? What's the idea, or benefit, beyond selling me another item. Am I missing the boat somehow? Is the one from The Art of Shaving a good example or are there better ones. Thanks for any input.

Cheers!
    Tony

2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I don't know much about pre-shaves, I tried some pre-shave oil once, might help others but it was no help for me. Went back to my hot tap water. Water and lather hydrates my beard perfectly.
    Happiness is a BBS. Denis

Maximumsmoke likes this.
  3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I also eliminated them from my ritual, Tony. From time to time I use Noxema Medicated Cream as a pre-shave when I am going "all out". Perhaps pre-shaves are not necessary, but a practical indulgence for others.

Maximumsmoke likes this.
  4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I use Proraso White preshave with my straight. I find that it gives me an additional level of protection.

Maximumsmoke likes this.
  5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I used to use some homemade PSO and also used a bottle of Cornhusker's Lotion as a pre-shave. Once I used them all up, I didn't replace them and found that my face doesn't care one way or the other at all. Now I just wash my face with soap and water and shave.

Maximumsmoke likes this.
  6. Maximumsmoke

Right-O, Troy M. That's what I do.

Troy M likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I don't use pre-shave, don't see need or benefit anymore.

Maximumsmoke likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Okay I’ll be the odd man out. Again:)
    I found that pso does nothing for the beard, nor the shave, per se. I used it occasionally when started and eliminated the use rather early on. When I went to the str8, I thought I would need every advantage that I could find;). So for 30 days with the same razor and routine, I found my skin was much smoother and not as dry. I believe the oil “Lock’s” moisture in the skin. All I can go by is my personal experience.

NCoxSTL, Zykris and Maximumsmoke like this.
  9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I rejoice in the reality that we are all not the same.

10. Maximumsmoke

Well said, K-Trout!

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I always use pre-shave oil and find it beneficial for my dry skin.
    I have several scents and match them to my soaps and aftershaves.
    Dealing with a cold/flu the past several days I've exclusively used eucalyptus PSO and eucalyptus/menthol soaps and creams.
    Good stuff, Maynard

Primotenore, NCoxSTL and Spyder like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

PSO and dry skin must be a Michigander thing ;)

John Beeman likes this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I haven’t gotten on with oily pre-shaves. I do find using witch hazel as a pre shave seems to soften my whiskers some how without all the oiliness.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup this awesome.

Good man...

Witch Hazel is even better for a clean up pass.

I never saw the need in them and do not see the need now. Just trying to get extra money out of me. Of course I leave all that moisturizing stuff to the girls anyway...:innocent

NCoxSTL likes this.
  15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I use pre shave soap. Not sure if it helps the shave any, but I mixed some soaps together and added menthol crystals. This way any lather you want can be Mentholated similar to M-bomb. Some scents blend beautifully with the menthol.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

When I first started shaving I was given a sample pack from the AOS guy at the mall. That was my first time seeing/hearing about pre-shave oil and I hated it. Just gummed everything up. In the past few months, though, I have started using a pre-shave soap, specifically Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap. They sent a sample on a soap purchase so I gave it a try. I don't use it all the time. But when I'm going to use a particularly aggressive razor or blade I sometimes go to it just to add a bit of extra slickness as it does seem to provide that without getting all gummy like the oils do. It has a place for me, but not an everyday place.

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been all over the place when it comes to preshave products, the best one I've used and continue to use is PAA The Cube. Good product.

Spyder likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have naturally oily skin, so I stay away from PSOs. I do use Proraso Pre-shave. It is not oily, and it adds a bit of menthol to whatever soap I am using. It is very nice, and it rinses off easily.

NCoxSTL and Spyder like this.
  19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

The only pre-shave that I tend to do is to wash my face. Especially if I've let the hair grow for more than a week, scrubbing it down with some body wash (longer hair = body wash. Shorter hair = soap) makes the lathering and shaving _much_ less aggravating.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  20. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I just got back into wet shaving. I have a Gillette New and Aristocrat. Sensitive skin and a tough beard (that's what happens to you when you get old!). Using Astra SPs. Got razor burn and weepers no matter how light of pressure I used. Wetted my face, tried a very thin application of Noxema, and lathered over top of the Noxema. No more razor burn or weepers or nicks and closer shave with the Aristocrat after 3 passes and touch up. Next, I will try it with the Gillette New (1934-35).