Looking to add a new, aggressive DE to the den

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen_B, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

What's funny is I can quickly tell the difference in straight razors too, although the mechanics are obviously different. Equally honed and freshly stropped, there is a distinct difference between all of mine and which one I pick up depends on mood, time and growth.

Guess that's a similar reason why there are so many DE blades out there...

Allen

Keithmax likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would say try a Open Comb Micro Matic with a good Carbon Steel blade. Cheap hefty and very effective.
    speaking of which.... I got a new toy they other day for may.....

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I recommend the .95 timeless razor. It is aggressive, but smooth. Great for traveling as well.

You may also consider a shavette.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you want a DE, and be aggressive, then try a Devette.

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Yup. I hear you. I feel the same way. But you know, everyone is an expert they are a master shaver and nothing phases them anymore. Lol or so I take it as such.

6. Jorvaljr

Lol wow. I think you have been taking the whole samurai meditation guru ness to heart. Who determined what you just wrote? Where is this written “quantifiable” ? Please don’t make stuff up and pass it off as fact. If this is your personal take, pass it off as such. But unless you have a science degree in shaving, I wouldn’t state such things.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

The Cobra Classic might be right up your alley.

Keithmax and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have been told that if use a DE 89 top cap, the 2013 approximates the 2011 R 41. I haven’t tried it, but I want to. Come to think of it try a Rolls razor- that may be more the feel your looking for. [/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Here's part of your puzzle, Google all the rest yourself. It's all been written about. These terms have meaning.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

See, quantifiable. We could do the same with exposure and radius. That's what objective and quantifiable means. The greater the window created by gap, exposure and radius of the cap and safety bar, the more aggressive the razor. It's how it's determined in a meaningful and comparative way. What other method is there?

"This razor feels too aggressive" is subjective and not quantifiable. Giving advice on this basis is why I read guys daily write (over and over) about their mediocre shaves with premium gear, and it's not the type of advice you will catch me giving. It's because people confuse doing something daily with actually being an expert of any sort, and feel like the next razor is the answer. I offer alternative explanations with a written track record of success in teaching others these concepts.

I take no offense at your personal attacks, it should also be noted I've written no attacks upon anyone on this thread. Everything I've written is on topic and intended to help the OP answer post one. What was your post about?

10. Jorvaljr

My post was about talking out of your ass if you want the truth. I don’t mean to attack but it was no different than you pointing out that his statement on aggressive was wrong. If it the redtip is quantifiable in aggression than its not “like” a 6 on anything correct? It’s either “is” or “isn’t” . Dismissing his statement as opinion or feeling as if it’s false is no different than I stating your statement as false. Why? Because you don’t know how that blade gap and all the measurements you want to throw out there act to his face when he is using it. It’s like saying a production automobile isn’t fast because quantifiably an F14 is much faster. Lol dude it’s shaving. Quit trying to be smart and just offer your opinion to a guy and let it be that. If I say a redtip is aggressive..guess what? It’s freakin aggressive to me and to others who state it. Offering measurement merely show you what a razor was manufactured at. I don’t have anything against you and your intellect, but don’t dismiss others opinions as ignorance. If he didn’t take it as such guess what I did. If you didn’t mean it as such, guess what I read it as such and I think you were rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The OP already said that an adjustable on 9 was mild...so if the red tip has a gap and such equal to a 6 on an adjustable (I am taking Bama's word on that because ....well because) he will probably not find it aggressive. It's not ok to point that out so that it rules out that razor from his search? Also your comparison to cars and jets is not valid here. Were comparing like tools. Comparing a car to a jet is like comparing a straight razor to a DE.
    Plus anyone who thinks 3 on an adjustable is aggressive could use some improvement on his technique. Just saying.

jeraldgordon and Jorvaljr like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

You can agree with him all you want, i dont want to be rude but personally I don’t really care. In my opinion he was rude, his dismissal of ones opinion to his is simply rude. Maybe we should all be prevented from giving advice to the new guys and this should be “shaving according to bamasamurai” I mean everything is quantifiable and he’s apparently only using scientific information for his advice right? So then apparently there is only one way to shave using a DE. That’s riding the cap. Because it’s what he preaches. So that’s it. Shaving advice should only be from one guy and one source and one technique. No variables and the “ymmv” is simply nonsense because it’s not quantifiable. You say a feather cuts you and doesn’t last long? Pfft it’s just a razor blade like all the others.. the Astra SP doesn’t shave well? Nope it’s no different than any other. that soap didn’t lather right? Nope it’s soap just like the others. But hey what do I know. Maybe he’s a shaving genius. I’m just a knuckle head. Oh well. It the end it’s just shaving. And we are all just trying to help a guy out went he ask for some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like you could stand some technique work too. Then you would understand better what we preach. YMMV is a crutch usually by the way. Mostly solid technique will sort out the differences. I am not very scientific..just an ole redneck...but I can back everything I say up with actions. And before the VI shows up this is all with no damaged tools.

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll add the obligatory +1 here.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bully!!

Norcalnewb likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Still not a single on-topic post in this thread by you, though we are very clear how you feel about me, and honestly it's flattering!

I suggested the OP try a Fatip or move on to SE/Injector, and pointed out that a red tip isn't aggressive in the context he states.

You must not have any knowledge to impart, or you'd have done it by now.

You should apologize to OP for turning this into a thread about Bama Samurai.

jeraldgordon and PickledNorthern like this.
  17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

He might be like me. Just watching and realizing that on another forum, there'd be at least one, and possibly up to four permanent bans.

18. Bama Samurai

It's funny, mods on TSD will talk razors when people actually want to talk razors.

jeraldgordon and PickledNorthern like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I own two Joris razors and don't find them to feel particularly aggressive. Now, I have a cheap little DE from Sally's that is super aggressive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Speaking of razors-in one of your previous posts you said something about R41 and Fatips having the same head. Here's my question (for my edification) : do R41s and Fatips have the same head or do R41s all have the same head And all Fatips have the same head?