Looking to add a new, aggressive DE to the den

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen_B, Jan 30, 2018.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gotta admit, my first couple of shaves weren't the best with a Tech, not tearing up like. But just not good, but way better after using them more.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I am a big believer in mastering the most aggressive and least aggressive razors that you can find. I quickly mastered the super aggressive ones...milder razors took a bit longer. I think that only the most skillful and deft shavers can use a mild razor and get a perfect shave every time. The Gillette tech represents this technical Shangri la IMHO. They truly take great technique.

jeraldgordon and MR41 like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's a tricky little razor to learn straight from spring loaded carts.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

You're right.

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I guess so at that. Never thought about it like that.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

*scratches cheek*

I didn't notice that the Tech was any different from the superspeed that I'd spent so many years abusing. Maybe _because_ I spent so many years with just one? I haven't tried the adjustables yet, and don't believe I'll bother with the injectors.

8. Bama Samurai

It's of similar head specs, that's why. Many SS models are also really mild.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

When I first started I used a super speed cause that’s what people recommended and I hated it. Years down the road I got a tech just cause I’d never used one and I noticed there wasn’t much variation in how I had to use it.

10. Bama Samurai

I feel like it's easier to teach a moderately aggressive geometry to a newbie. Sure, they'll get cut, but they won't endure weeks of razor burn. Nicks and cuts make people believe in that ride the cap nonsense. Techs and SS razors oddly aren't dangerous enough to instill perfect angle control. Pain is a powerful teach, and blood bears witness to shortcomings. This is why I say Alum is essential for new converts also. It's the only "objective" feedback there is on preasure and angle. If the skin is smooth, and the Alum produces little reaction, the technique is approaching ideal.

11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have to agree.

12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Yeah...me too.

13. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

On the topic of single edge, injector razors can anyone give 1st hand impressions on the Supply Stainless Single Edge Injector razor?

Had never really thought about an injector until this thread and the Supply Stainless razor looks simple and impressive...

Allen

twhite likes this.
  14. blitz

blitz Member

i would second this. Take your futur apart and reassemble without the base plate.

15. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have both and concur.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I had a Merkur 34c early on. I bought it because the Derby (I believe) razor I had bought first had such a huge blade gap it intimidated me. The Merkur never tore me up, bit I wasn't getting good shaves from it either. I ended up going crazy buying razors. In the end I mastered the Derby first. It taught me a lot about riding the cap, blade angle and light touch. It also taught me a lot about technique over tools. I was able to use what I learned to go back and get a good shave out of the Merkur. And then my Tech.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

17. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Hadn't thought of that but unsure if you're joking???

Allen

18. Bama Samurai

If you know how to shave well with a straight, this can work.

19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I use Alum every shave for that very reason. I like to assess each shave.

The Alum does not lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bama Samurai and Allen_B like this.
  20. blitz

blitz Member

totally serious. I've done it with my qshave clone. just ride the top cap. Might sound intimidating but if you use your futur wide open you should not have any issues.

Allen_B likes this.