Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

@stanko Great video! You had me in suspense the whole time. Like an old fashion movie that doesn't hint too much, I keep waiting to hear your voice. Well played Sir!
    Good choice of a Fat Boy & Tabac. Which brush and blade did you use?

sdguero, TestDepth and stanko like this.
  2. stanko

stanko Member

Thank You RyX, the brush was a Truefitt&Hill Wellington Super Badger and the blade was a Astra Superior Platinum. Splashed on some Clubman original.

3. Dver42

Dver42 Well-Known Member

Don't have time to shave today. But I will share my newly acquired 1960 FatBoy. This one is an F3 and has been revamped in nickel. It is completely flawless. Not a single mark/dent/nick on it. Now the main reason I bought this razor was because my dad was born in 1960 so this is a little tribute to him. I purchased this razor from an older gentlemen (in his 70s) who is a retired veteran that served in the USAF. He developed a passion for safety razors at a young age and collected hundreds of them over the years. Now with his old age he is going through his collection and cleaning up his razors to sell. Some get replated and some don't. He does the replating in house by himself and does a great job of it! This is one of his last razors so I'm quite honoured to have this razor in my collection and it will be cherished for years. I plan to bring I out once in a while but I will mostly keep it stored away since this is my only revamped razor and the only razor I have that's in mint/flawless condition.

[​IMG]

MR41, brit, Herm2502 and 7 others like this.
  4. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

LOOT, Dver42 and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very nice! The plating process can be done with minimal investment, but knowing how to achieve that quality of finish takes experience. A treasure indeed considering the history of the piece.

sdguero, TestDepth, LOOT and 2 others like this.
  6. sdguero

Fatboy Friday aka Gillette Adjustable Friday 2.2.2018
    Head (6 days growth) & Face (24 hours growth) Shave
    Pre-shave: hot shower & Nivea Men Sensitive Face Wash
    Brush: Barburys synthetic
    Cream: Reuzel Shave Cream
    Razor: Gillette Fatboy E-4 (setting 9)
    Blade: Feather (must be around 10 shaves)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (from Dollar Tree), Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Proraso Sandalwood AS
    sotd 2.2.2018.jpg

MR41, brit, Herm2502 and 5 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice set up, Dan. I ought to get the matching Proraso AS, too. I like the Red soap. Being a carpenter I didn't think I'd like a wood scented shave product. I was wrong!

Did your Lady do the detailing on the box lid? Beautiful Old World look.

TestDepth and LOOT like this.
  8. sdguero

Thank you, Rick. If you like the Proraso red soap, you'd like the AS.

Sad story. I bought a bottle of the Proraso Sandalwood AS more than a year ago. I used it once or twice and then one day it slipped out of my wet fingers and the glass bottle broke in the sink... all of the AS going down the drain. The bathroom smelled nice for awhile, and I had to buy another bottle. I'm very careful with this one.

She did paint the box. It was just an unfinished wood box and she painted the whole thing, including the detail on the lid. She's part of a Norwegian Rosemaling club with the local Sons of Norway chapter. Her work gives some class to my shave of the day photos. :susel:

TestDepth, wchnu, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  9. Fluffyskiador

Fluffyskiador Active Member

Fatboy Friday aka Gillette Adjustable Friday 2.2.2018
    Face (24 hours) Shave
    Pre-shave: none
    Brush: Shavemac Silvertip 2band
    Cream: Foroafeitado Jabonman Edén
    Razor: Gillette Fatboy F-1 (setting 3)
    Blade: Súper Iridium #1
    Post-shave: Aqua Velva
    https://imgur.com/a/TP70M
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    MR41, brit, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

You can't hurt that finish. Develop a good post shave cleaning routine and use that beauty!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dver42, sdguero and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another beautifully crafted box! Marquetry on that piece is well done.
    I've not tried Jabonman soaps. Limited quantities, and he's not set up as a retailer on the web?

Fluffyskiador, sdguero and LOOT like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great pics I see. I am part of Tom's second Bunny pass around and it came today. I should be back next Friday.

Fluffyskiador, RyX and sdguero like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh! Enjoy The Bunny! It's a treat. It's not a Gillette, or a DE even, but it is adjustable. OC, too.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Herm2502 and LOOT like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It's veddy cool no matter how you look at it#!

15. Dver42

Dver42 Well-Known Member

I'm curious what you'd recommend for a cleaning routine. Maybe something I'm doing is improper or could be improved on..

I like to thoroughly clean my razors after each shave with a soft bristle tooth brush and a mixture of dawn dish soap and warm water. Then I dry the best I can with a cotton cloth and leave it to air dry for a few hours.

RyX and LOOT like this.
  16. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

You are doing good cleaning it. I do basically the same thing. I also use a can of computer duster to blow it dry....then, open it up an stand it on its doors or hang it upside down to get any water out of the handle.

17. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

PS. If it is nickle or rhodium...you really can't hurt it. Take care of it an USE it. They are great shavers.

RyX likes this.
  18. Dver42

Dver42 Well-Known Member

Oh I have never thought to stand the razor on its doors to let water out of the handle.. will have to do that from now on. And this razor is replated in nickel

RyX likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

GAWD @RyX there is a OCD convention in town.

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think I understand the desire to keep a replate looking like new. My '59 FB is in decent shape so I wash the soap scum off when I change blades. That's doing maintenance so I don't have to do repairs. If I had spent coin replating I'd want to see that shine all the time.
    Someone mentioned a replater no longer doing his service on Black Beauties because the handles are aluminum and tend to be corroded internally. Caused by water left inside the tube?

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

LOOT, wchnu and Fluffyskiador like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.