Some great pricing moves by Gillette

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Shaving?

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I see your point but "carts just suck" says nothing about the high quality shaves they can provide, which I and others will insist they can indeed do.

A four speed and an automatic are both enjoyable, in different ways. Some people dislike having to operate a clutch. Does that mean a four speed sucks? No. Same thing here, with cart = automatic, and DE = stick.

If you've had nothing but miserable cart shaves then I don't know what to tell you, but I don't see how it'd be possible. They're all not bad. Some are, but so are some DE razors and blades.

COMPNOR likes this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

FWIW, I was at my local CVS earlier and they had their Torq3 (Mach3-compatible carts made by Schick) on clearance.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Carts are a valuable and effective solution for many people who, for various reasons, need a "very safe" razor. Very Good point.

Bookworm likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

I am the TSD Barbasol troll. We should start a club.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will reword it. To me carts just suck. They will do the job sure...but they are garbage.... To me. Better?

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

As a TSD sage says, to each his own shave. :)

wchnu likes this.
  8. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I started using some of my cartridge razors again last summer after years of not using them. It all started with finding some luxury TracII compatible travel razors for really cheap.

I had never used the TRACII system but had really enjoyed my Atra razor back in the day. I had missed out on a popular shaving system. I wanted to try it out.

After trying out the TracII and getting very good results, I decided to use my cartridge razors as part of my rotation, and better understand their strengths and weaknesses.

Call it a distraction if you will (I certainly do), but it has become a part of my shaving hobby. It keeps me engaged and remains a lot cheaper and more readily available than chasing other more expensive vintage razor systems.

The popularity, capability and ease of use of cartridge systems should not be underestimated - though is regularly understated in many shaving communities.

I enjoy the diversity of the shave community on TSD.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    brit likes this.
  9. Bookworm

If you're getting good results, and you're enjoying it as a bit more than a chore, that's all that's important. You don't have to have a Darwin, adapt some blades to fit, then have them honed :)

EnglishChannel likes this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Im sure straight users would say that carts are like a modern automatic, DEs are like a classic car with an automatic and a straight is like a stick. I mean, its not as if DEs take all that much skill either.

brit likes this.
  11. Bookworm

DE's are more like a current standard transmission. Straights are like OLD standard transmissions - where you had to argue with them to get the perfect RPM to shift.

brit and EnglishChannel like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

You should read TSD! People screw up DE with bad techniques all the time. Read SOTD and see it's why guys buy new razors all the time. They don't realize it's the skill that's missing.

13. Badgerstate

I'd say I argue more with my AS-D2 than I do with my AC.

14. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

Y'all might as well shoot me ! I shave with disposables sometimes lol . I also use the can goo often . Double the reason to be executed . Haha enjoyable read here . Cheers !

gorgo2 and EnglishChannel like this.
  15. Hoss304

Pricing moves by Gillette are in my opinion because they are butthurty due to these "clubs". Gillette is now trying to pitch thier new "club" . In the DSC commercial they nailed it making fun of the carts being under lock and key in stores. Lock and key in a store or delivered to my door monthly I will never buy a Fusion. I am a Mach 3 fan as it was my first razor besides the bag of community disposables when I was a teen. I have tried mostly any disposable and most "clubs" . I don't steadily buy Mach 3 carts but when I find a deal I buy them . Especially for head shaves .I just refuse the fusion . I don't need a roller ball and bells and whistles on a razor. I just enjoy shaving and trying new stuff . I like TSD because you aren't banned or trashed on for shaving however you choose. I have been booted from Facebook groups for saying I use Barbasol . I don't think a brush and soap is required for a great shave. One guy on there decided to call me out prior to banning me from the group . He said I'm not a wetshaver and he will tell any admin in groups I join . C'mon man. Get a life.

16. Bookworm

Realistically - we're all wet shavers, even some electrics. The only shavers that are 'dry' shavers are electrics, and a few freaks that like the feel of steel bouncing across their flesh.

EnglishChannel and Hoss304 like this.
  17. Hoss304

I probably use Barbasol in a way that's totally odd to some guys . I put it in a bowl and add some water to thin it down lol. Bowl-brush but for the die hards that's a sin on some groups . I own soaps , tube creams , cans . If I'm not a wetshaver to some oh well . I have 4 DE razors , Mach 3 , Dorco pace 6 , Defender razor , Gillette Vector , Gillette Guard, Harry's ... And a storage tub full of various disposables . I rarely use the same razor two times in a row . DE is face only for me. Carts and disposables are double duty head and face shaves.

18. Bookworm

Different Strokes for Different Folks - DSDF.

19. Badgerstate

I always used to add water to Barbasol. It makes it slicker.

20. Bama Samurai

I am a shave forum mod who started a Barbasol fan page. You're on the right forum.

Agreed, the subscription Harry's model is what's driving Gillette pricing moves. Traditional wet shaving isn't on their radar unless it's the AoS thing, which is designed to keep you on carts and sell expensive soap.