R41 Double Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Feb 9, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm not particularly a fan of the R41 2013. I rarely reach for it for two reasons.

First, while it is very efficient I own any number of razors which are comparable or just slightly less efficient but are much smoother and therefore more pleasurable to use.

Second the razor is in my mind poorly designed when it comes to evacuating lather. It clogs. For most users this may not be an issue but as I frequently do a pass using shave oil which tends to be sticky, I find the tendency of the R41 to clog a significant annoyance.

As soon as I saw the bottom plate of the Yaqi DOC I knew it would be worth trying its cap on the similarly configured.R41 plate.

Indeed it's a great match. The Yaqi cap is a good 1.5mm narrower than the R41 2013 cap, and when it replaces the stock cap the resulting blade reveal is much like the 2011 model. Because the angle is altered somewhat it's hard to say how much exposure is changed, but my guess is not as much as the cap span would suggest. If you like the 2011 you will like this. If you haven't tried the 2011, try this. I had no problem at all with tugging ATG or other nasty issues. Plus, lather now has another place to go and rinsing is far more effective.

The Yaqi DOC head I purchased on AliExpress for $7.51 delivered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Jorvaljr, MR41, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Interesting. What other razors were you using that you preferred prior to the cap change?

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Modern razors I prefer would include the V3A, Ikon Tech, Rockwell 6, Pearl OC-Matador Toro Mastiff Frankenrazor. Plus any number of vintage, Shake Sharp being my #1.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    gwsmallwood and TobyC like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

@jmudrick - For the price I've considered the Yaqi DOC. Did you try it with the accompanying base plate? Impressions?

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure. Like its PAA and Grand Shave King siblings it's mild, picky about angle, but efficient once you learn the angle. Careful not to over tighten or the small blade gap disappears into oblivion. For the price of a craft beer I don't see how you can go wrong.
    [​IMG]

Jorvaljr and RyX like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

This is so great!

7. blitz

blitz Member

having trouble making sense of your comment about top cap and blade reveal. While the yaqi top cap reveals more visually, in practice isn't it all about where the edge of the blade is in relation to the width of the base plate?

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That was indeed my point. Although cap span is increased, the curve of the top cap is changed somewhat (and so the blade edge) so it's hard to say whether that increased cap span evident in the blade reveal actually increases exposure.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Jorvaljr likes this.