Slant DE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaveO, Feb 12, 2018.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I have been using a Merkur Futur razor with Astra blades for a few years. Lately I have been thinking of getting a slant blade DE razor. What are the differences? Do they shave closer, but more aggressively? What brands and models do you recommend?

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The come in all flavors mild to wild. What are you looking for?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  3. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I prefer closer to mild. Just wondering if they give a closer shave. I guess that I could go in three directions with my Futur and get the same result. Down, sideways, and up strokes.

RyX likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

One cannot generalize, no just being a slant doesn't mean a closer shave . As I said they vary hugely in weight, aggression, and there are also two different types, regular slants and twisted.

Honestly all the slants I own are milder than my Futur by a lot and while they are all good none are among my go-to razors. They are all inexpensive and any one is worth a shot!

PAA Bakelite Slant (super lightweight)
    Maggard Slant
    German 37
    RR Stealth Slant clone (Manly Stuff; super heavy)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    RyX and Jim99 like this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

No, a slant does not shave closer just because of the slanting. Closeness is all about geometry (blade exposure, angle and gap). The main benefit of slants, as I see it, is cleaner cuts with less tugging.

Compare it with a knife slicing vegetables. Regardless if you hold the blade as a guillotine, or straight you get the same big slices. It does not change the slice size, only how easy you slice through the vegetable.

My own favorite slant (iKon X3) is super mild and it is my go to razor.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The Ikon 102 is a reasonable mild slant. Unlike most slant razors, the 102 does not twist the blade. Rather the head is tilted. I find it close and smooth. I also have the more traditional Merkur 39c "Sledgehammer". It's long and heavy and slightly more aggressive than the Ikon.

Herm

RyX likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Owning a
    Merkur 37c,
    PAA Bakelight,
    Maggard slant and now a
    RazorRock German 37
    I found all these razors to give good shaves. The Merkur 37c was the mildest, but of course is a 2 piece razor, since I prefer a 3 piece, I'm now trying the 3 piece Geman37. So far so good, but I think any of the above razors will give you a close, irritation free shave as long as you do your part. :happy088:
    Unfortunately I can't afford one of the higher priced slant head razor, but I am hoping to get one in the future.

RyX likes this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have a few.
    The rr German 37 (same as the merkur 39c) is a nice copy, the thing is, it was very inexpensive. And if your not finding what your looking for, you get a very nice (heavy) handle.
    For what little it costs, its worth it to satisfy your curiosity.

Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  9. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

:signs011:

I picked up a RR German37 slant last year and use it regularly. I rotate between the slant and a Fatip Grande. The slant is mild compared to the Fatip, but very smooth and efficient. I believe the theory is that the slanted head exerts more tension on the blade thus keeping it more rigid resulting in less flexing of the blade. For the price at IB, you can't go wrong. I quite like the bamboo handle too.

david of central florida and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's one effect I've read about. The other is the scything effect as in
    So doing a "Gillette Slide" with a Schick injectors thicker blade is a comparable combination of effects.

I've only got a couple shave in with a Lutz slant. It's a vintage (1930's) German 3 pc with (in theory) a mild side & aggressive side scalloped bar guard. While I prefer more aggressive razors, I haven't noted much difference between the sides. It's light weight, short handled, and does twist the blade.

Primotenore and LOOT like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I do this regularly.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ditto. It's enabled me to change to a two pass routine with most razors.

Primotenore likes this.
  13. CrawdaddyKy

CrawdaddyKy New Member

I have the PAA Bakelite OC Slant as a well as the PAA Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic Slant. I really enjoy the shave. They have great audible feedback, allowed me to reduce to a 2 pass shave and the price point around $20 doesn’t leave you feeling any buyer’s remorse if you decide it is not for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wchnu likes this.
  14. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I think that I have narrowed my choices down to the Merkur 39C slant and the Ikon #102 slant. Have the Ikons gone down in quality since they are made in Thailand?

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have used a number of slants, and the best value for me was the Maggard slant. It is well made and shaves great without being too aggressive. Bring your own handle.

Maggard slant_01.JPG

Maggard slant_08.JPG

Primotenore, AlDm and RyX like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

If you do the Gillette Slide with a slant does that straighten things out?

Herm

17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

In my opinion from experience- they aren’t really very different from regular safety bar razors. I have read that they are helpful in mitigating in grown hairs for some.

Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm left handed. I think it doubles the effect!
    There's also the twerking of the blade. Or is that torquing? Looking at the top cap from above, the drivers side rear & passengers side front corners are twisted lower. That's supposed to give a stiffness to the blade not achieved by regular DE caps that only roll the sharpened edge downward in a straight line.
    Keep in mind any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

bdalemauger, Herm2502 and MR41 like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Do blades need that though? Seems like another gimmick to fix a problem that is not really a problem.

RyX likes this.
  20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

They dont give a closer shave. Ive got a few slants and while I do feel that they are a bit smoother, then dont shave any closer.