Razorock!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jeff fugate, Feb 16, 2018.

1. jeff fugate

jeff fugate Member

I got my Razorock De1 and quick change today, havent used them yet, but they look like quality razors for under $10.

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’ll look forward to reading what you think!

3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The one RazoRock razor I own has been a solid one. No regrets.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Paul Turner, Yehuda D and MR41 like this.
  4. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I have the Tech 2 which is the same head, different handle. IIRC these are re-branded Baili razors and quite good.

5. jeff fugate

jeff fugate Member

I just used the De1, was in a hurry so I used barbasol and a derby extra, it was a good shave, not the best, but pretty good.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The DE1 from Razorock is a nice mild razor and it holds the razor very accurately and its totally enclosed with no blade overhang on the ends to nick a person.
    The handle is also very nice to work with, its designed for a mild shave, but a shim under the blade to get more aggressive if that is what your after.

7. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I have one also that I've never used yet. But my Razorock Mission is amazing and a staple in my rotation !!!

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Razorock is not a manufacturer it's a brand, the quality depends on the source, but I have been quite happy with all my Razorock branded razors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Linuxguile and luv2shave like this.
  9. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

I also appreciate Razorock products. They bring good quality products sourced from China and India. The latest SLOC, mission and mentor heads are from Yaqi brush china. Earlier the Razorock jaws and earlier versions of mission were from Pearl India. And as rightly stated they are selling the Baili rebrand of the TTO and the three piece razor.

However I quite like their own designs like Hawk, Wunderbar, German 87, Mamba , MJ 90 are quite value for money and precision shaving tools.

The only mystery for me is the SLAB razor. Source for the hear is most likely India or China however haven't seen this head. Is it Pearl or Parker from India ? If anyone knows.

In another shave forum Joe from IB has emphatically stated that it is a head different from pearl or Yaqi

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

RazoRock Razors I own, In order of preference:

Baby Smooth
    Mamba
    MJ-90A
    Mentor
    SLOC*

If the Game Changer were out it would be on top of the list

*haven't tried this one yet

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I really like some of the Razorock razors and soaps and I will keep going there for future needs.
    Here are some of the products that I really enjoy,
    DE1:happy088:
    Tech2:happy088:
    Mission:love029:
    Mentor:eatdrink047:
    German 37 slant:love029:
    Wunderbar slant:love029:
    old type open comb:love055:
    SLOC- will be buying it on the next order.:signs002:
    Amici - Aftershave and soap:love029::love029:
    XXX soap-:love029:
    Razorock plissoft brushes- I have the 24 mm knot 400 black hair noir:love029: and a regular 24mm knot:love029:
    These products are just excellent and who ever makes them for Razorock are just excellent products IMO.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Keithmax, Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.
  12. Linuxguile

If you like citrus, check out Don Marco. It is one of my favorite citrus scents.

Ron R and luv2shave like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Andrew: If you could, would you (excluding Baby Smooth) rate these with some context to blade feel? For example, a G Injector is a super smooth razor, but you can feel the blade. Thanks, Buddy.

Edit: Maybe do Baby Smooth for those who haven’t tried one. Thanks!

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. Linuxguile

Ohey, this is kind of a tall order. But I'll give it a go, I'll rank them by blade feel and provide some comparisons to other well known razors.

The MJ-90 with the standard base plate. This combo is extremely mild, there really is no blade feel to speak of and efficiency of a Gillette adjustable on 1. I cannot (while using good, no pressure, technique) get a BBS shave out of this combo, even with ATG buffing.

The Baby Smooth. A tiny bit more blade feel here, much like a Gillette adjustable on 2 or perhaps a blue tip or a later black handle SS. The magic sauce with the Baby smooth is that it forces a very shallow blade angle. I'm pretty sure that I could do 5 passes with the BS and not feel any irritation, luckily I only need 3 passes to get the job done.

The Mamba. A little bit more blade feel then the BS but still very mild. Maybe 3-4 on the Adjustable or a regular Flare tip SS. Similar head geometry as the BS but offers a little wider angle window.

The Mentor. This is the same head as the Maggard V3A and is sold under many a house brand. Similar in blade feel to a Merkur 34c or an R89 but offers a slightly larger angle window to play with. If you are really paying attention you can feel the edge of the blade but it doesn't feel like it will bite at all.

The Game Changer, this is perhaps the sweet spot on the RazoRock lineup in regards to blade feel. With the exception of the Baby Smooth I tend to prefer razors with a little more blade feel. Similar to a Gillette NEW or a Fatboy on 6. Just enough blade feel to let you know its there and its cutting. I made the comparison on another thread that the GC has the smoothness of an Aristocrat with the efficiency of NEW and I still think that's a pretty fair assessment. One thing to note about the GC is that it very rigidly holds the blade in place due to wide support bands, borrowing this image from Gus @Str8on2
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/razorock-gamechanger-first-shave-prototype-head.58790/ :
    [​IMG]

and the MJ-90 Aggressive base plate. A little more blade feel then the GC but perhaps a bit less smooth. Doesn't benefit from the full bottom blade support, a little bit of chatter can be detectable at times. Blade feel somewhere in the neighborhood of an E3 Injector or a Gillette Old type.

Hope someone finds this helpful. Remember this are my impressions, YMMV :cool:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thank you, Andrew. That actually was extremely helpful.

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

Shaved with the SLOC this morning, I would say that it has about the same blade feel as the Mamba. Very mild but a smaller angle window then the Mamba.

17. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I used my DE1 for the first time this week. It took me a few strokes to find the cutting angle but when I did, very nice shave. This razor is very mild but I still achieved DFS with 2 passes and touch ups. This razor also looks immaculate. I highly recommend it. My setup for the shaves was as follows.

Razor: Razorock DE1
    Blade: Rapira Super Stainless
    Soap: VDH Luxury
    Brush: Omega S-Brush

18. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

19. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

The .76 will be a nice addition to the GC razors and will fill the gap between the .68 & .84 plates. I do prefer the.68 myself and can shave fine with the .84 plate using a little more caution with it on my neck area than needed with the .68. I may or may not get the .76 plate because the .68 just does a great job for me.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I saw Lino's avatar and thought he had returned...but then checked the date-he wrote that 5 years ago.