DE Pack Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zykris, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have a half a dozen different chinese blades, and some never been used old stock Wilkinson Swords.

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

More than likely I've never used any of those then.

3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave
    Gear Used:
    Razor: RazoRock Slant German 37
    Blade: Treet Platinum (4)
    Brush: TurnNShave Boss Knot 24mm
    Soap: Viking Soap Opium Den
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm

The treet is still trucking along and with the new soap, slick as hell and one heck of a performer, it was a great head shave. Number 5 use here we come in a couple of days.

4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Treet Platinum (5)
    Brush: @Jayaruh Pure Badger Travel Brush
    Soap: Proraso Green ( First Use )
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm

Decided to go with a WTG, XTG, XTG three pass for my head shave using the Treet Platinum blade. That sucker doesn't want to quit! It's on it's fifth use and is still cutting stubble awy like it was on it's 2nd use. The Proraso green was a very nice soap to use. The scent and menthol really hit it off with me. Not BBS but definitely DFS. Jayaruh's pure badger brush while a tiny knot did whip up a good lather with a little scritch to it. It didn't give me enough lather for the three passes but heck it worked great. Relathering doesn't bother me. Great shave for tonight!

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Treet Platinum (6)
    Brush: Quarter Moon Custom Brush, TurnNShave
    Soap: Van Yulay Arabian Nights

After shower head shave went pretty well. The blade is still cruising along although it's effectiveness with an ATG pass is definitely not cutting as easily as it used to. I think I can probably get about two to three more shaves out of this blade if I stick with just WTG, XTG passes. I'm thoroughly impressed by the longevity of this blade as I haven't had any luck with previous Treet blades that I tried. We just might have a contender against the Astra blade who still remains in my top five category. Stay tuned!

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave: WTG, XTG, XTG
    Gear Used:
    Blade: Treet Platinum (7)
    Brush: Boss Knot Brush, TurnNShave
    Soap: Van Yulay Black Tea & Amber

The blade barely made it through it's 7th use but I got an ok shave from it. The head is smooth enough for me. That blade didn't know when to quit! Time to rank it against it's competitors.

1. Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Feather Hi Stainles. I have another tie between the Astra and the Feather. Reason being the Astra has a long life span for me but the Feather has raw cutting power if somewhat irritating a little more on the first pass but smoothed out nicely on my subsequent passes.
    3. Treet Platinum. Great smoothness, average sharpness but it's got one heck of a life span!
    4. Super Platinum. This blade got tied up in the fourth place with the Gillette 7'Clock SP. I was impressed by it's performance. Nice combo of sharpness/smoothness.
    4. Dorco Prime Platinum. 5 uses and a darn good blade with sharpness and smoothness tied beautifully.
    5. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Gillette Super Thin Platinum. A rather enjoyable blade that gave me 4 good uses of smooth shaving with a nice degree of sharpness.
    5. Super Platinum. After reviewing my comments on the blade, I decided it deserved a spot in the top five for a tie with the Gillette Super Thin Platinum.
    6. Gillette Nacet Stainless. Nice smoothness and sharpness. For me, it didn't stand out against the crowd but I did like it for the time I did use it.
    7. Rapira Swedish Steel. Nice smoothness and mid grade sharpness. Lasted three uses. I'd say above average performer.
    7. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five. ( Now with more uses of different blades, it's not as good as I thought )
    8. Derby Extra Stainless. It gave a good run as a smooth blade.
    9. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.10. Shark. It gave decent shaves but it wasn't nothing spectacular for me.
    11. Kroma Stainless. About the same performance as the Sharp Hi Chromim Durable. Two uses. Toasted. Ok performance.
    11. Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade. An ok blade. Not stellar but it was ok for the first use and barely made it through the second use.
    11. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    12. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    13. Super Tian Li Blue Blade. Ok blade. But nothing to remarkable about it.
    13. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    14. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    15. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

7. Shadow Shaver

Shadow Shaver Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a great thread . I have only been de shaving for a few months but unfortunately have sensitive skin. Kai razor blades are the only ones that I can use so far. You are really giving me some food for thought. Thank you

Linuxguile and Zykris like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :)

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave plus clean up
    Gear Used:
    Blade: Polsilver Stainless
    Brush: Quarter Moon Custom Brush, TurnNShave
    Soap: Williams
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Aramis Aftershave Balm (1st use of Aramis)

Took the Polsilver stainless for a drive. With a slick lather from the Williams, three days worth of growth was mowed down like it was nothing. Very smooth, a little on the sharper side. not in a harsh way but enough to make me use a much lighter touch than I used with some of the other blades. Not BBS but DFS. Aramis has a nice scent to it and it's very soothing. Nice and soft skin afterwards. Definitely going to be using that much more. Cheers! Or as Fuzzy @wchnu says BULLY!!!!

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bully!!

Zykris likes this.
  11. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Same factory as Sputnik and Astra. You seem to like the blades made by this factory.

Zykris likes this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Something to certainly think on.

13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Been testing out a few pass around SE razors at the moment but I'll return to my DE head shaves very soon!

14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave plus clean up
    Gear Used:
    Blade: Polsilver Stainless (2)
    Brush: W/D Boar 24mm
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Nivea Sensitive

Second use of the Polsilver proved to be a smooth success. Very good with WtG, XTG, XTG shave. Smooth enough to call it a DFS! Doesn't seem to be losing any cutting power.

15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Some of the Treet blades can be hit or miss. The first one I used lasted a long time and was a great blade, but the 2nd one was horrible and felt dull. It seemed like a quality control issue.

Zykris likes this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Seems like my case as well.

17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Polsilver Stainless (3)
    Brush: 25mm Quartermoon Custom Brush
    Soap: Van Yulay Mountain Retreat
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Stirling Glacial Unscented

WTG, XTG, XTG. The blade is holding up smooth and still retains a good level of sharpness to make the shave go quickly and efficiently. Not BBS but DFS. I'll take it. :O)

18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Polsilver Stainless (4)
    Brush: 24mm Cashmere Knot TurnNShave brush
    Soap: Van Yulay WhaTZzzUp!

The blade is holding up but it's quality has taken another step down. WTG, XTG, XTG brought bout a DFS but took a little extra buffing. My guess is the blade has maybe one more good shave to it before it has to join it's brothers and sisters in the blade bank.

19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Polsilver Stainless (5)
    Brush: 24mm W/D Boar brush
    Soap: Dalvey Shaving Soap

The blade finally took a nose dive at the 2nd pass leaving me with a little less than DFS but I'll take it. Tried out the Dalvey shaving soap with the shave which I acquired with a PIF. Unfortunately, I am having a reaction to the soap. So no more using that one at all! Burning and itching not my forte'. But as far as the blade goes, time for ranking.

1. Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Feather Hi Stainles. I have another tie between the Astra and the Feather. Reason being the Astra has a long life span for me but the Feather has raw cutting power if somewhat irritating a little more on the first pass but smoothed out nicely on my subsequent passes.
    3. Treet Platinum. Great smoothness, average sharpness but it's got one heck of a life span!
    4. Super Platinum. This blade got tied up in the fourth place with the Gillette 7'Clock SP. I was impressed by it's performance. Nice combo of sharpness/smoothness.
    4. Dorco Prime Platinum. 5 uses and a darn good blade with sharpness and smoothness tied beautifully.
    5. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Gillette Super Thin Platinum. A rather enjoyable blade that gave me 4 good uses of smooth shaving with a nice degree of sharpness.
    5. Super Platinum. After reviewing my comments on the blade, I decided it deserved a spot in the top five for a tie with the Gillette Super Thin Platinum.
    6. Gillette Nacet Stainless. Nice smoothness and sharpness. For me, it didn't stand out against the crowd but I did like it for the time I did use it.
    7. Rapira Swedish Steel. Nice smoothness and mid grade sharpness. Lasted three uses. I'd say above average performer.
    7. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five. ( Now with more uses of different blades, it's not as good as I thought )
    8. Derby Extra Stainless. It gave a good run as a smooth blade.
    8. Polsilver Stainless. The blade had a good run. Smooth over sharp. I classify it a midgrade blade for my use.
    9. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.10. Shark. It gave decent shaves but it wasn't nothing spectacular for me.
    11. Kroma Stainless. About the same performance as the Sharp Hi Chromim Durable. Two uses. Toasted. Ok performance.
    11. Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade. An ok blade. Not stellar but it was ok for the first use and barely made it through the second use.
    11. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    12. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    13. Super Tian Li Blue Blade. Ok blade. But nothing to remarkable about it.
    13. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    14. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    15. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Treet Stainless
    Brush: 24mm Boss Knot TurnNShave
    Soap: Proraso Green (Menthol Monday!)
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Stirling Glacial Unscented

My son randomly picked out the Treet Stainless blade for me today to start a new review. So far my experience with Treet brands have been a hit or miss. I found the blade to be sharp but not quite as smooth as the Platinum version. But it did get the job done leaving a nice smooth head. A DFS. I don't shoot for BBS anymore. Otherwise, the blade felt almost average as compared to the other blades I've used. Nothing extra special but we'll see how it turns out after a few more rounds, if it last that long. Have a great night!