Barbasol non aerosol shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by jeff fugate, Feb 13, 2018.

1. jeff fugate

jeff fugate Member

What are the opinions of this shave cream?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I don’t know that I’ve seen non aerosol Barbasol before.

3. jeff fugate

jeff fugate Member

4. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Wow, that's a new one on me too. I have to find and try some now! Barbasol is such a staple in my rotation that I'm curious about this. I cant believe Ive never seen it! Thanks for sharing.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Looks like a shave butter brushless thing. Probably not that exciting. According to the instructions you do not even hand lather just spread on and shave. Yuck...(ymmv)

6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I bought a few tubes on Amazon last year. Its not bad stuff and probably better for you than canned Barbasol.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Have seen it at some Big Lots in the past few years for a buck or maybe less. Never bothered trying it, figure it's the same as all brushless and I like their canned.

8. Badgerstate

It lathers with a brush.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Why is canned foam "bad for you?"

Hint: it's not.

10. Badgerstate

The propellants can dry out your skin.

Spyder and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Badgerstate

There's actually been numerous studies that show if you have issues with sensitive skin or razor bumps, one of the best things you can do is ditch the canned foam for cream or soap.

urrlord and Spyder like this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am not impressed by the ingredients.

13. Bama Samurai

Can you link those studies for us? I've never read them. What about foam causes ingrown? I don't see how.

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

http://www.jaad.org/article/0190-9622(91)70018-W/abstract
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7094572
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4326095/ (you have to go down to the section on "Adverse Effects and Monitoring")

It's not a smoking gun or even close. Those are the only articles I can find that are really associated with the ingredients in aerosol shaving foams. There are lots of '5 reasons to get rid of shaving cream' articles that I'm seeing, but they all seem to come down to 'propylene glycol is bad' (true), 'mineral oil is carcinogenic' (first I've heard about it, and it appears that it's untreated and mildly treated mineral oils - not the 'highly refined' used in cosmetics and food items), 'natural oils are better' (maybe), and 'throwing away cans is bad for the environment' (dubious, other than the plastic). Oh, and 'it has surfactants!'. Um.. yes? Surfactants and detergents are _cleaning agents_. *durrrr*

Here's a site that had a decent layman's breakdown of the mineral oil information
    https://www.annmariegianni.com/ingr...anteed-i-wont-be-putting-it-on-my-babys-skin/

So, am I going to use canned foam on a regular basis? No.. but then, I never did. Am I going to avoid it? Not at all. I have a can of Barbasol by my sink.

I suspect the 'causes ingrown' isn't so much a causes ingrown as the third article above comments about the propylene glycol being an irritant on wounds, and razor bumps are generally 'wounds' where the hair is punching through the side of the follicle. So it's a catch-all.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Yes.

Topically applied anything doesn't cause ingrown hair.

Bookworm likes this.
  16. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Because there is no zen moment, no communion with brush and soap, no visceral pleasure in making the lather. Not “bad” for you, just not conducive to a state of inner equilibrium.... :yoda ( Yoda say...)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

He swings..... and it's a line drive to deep right field. Although I must add I know a few who use a brush with Barbasol.

18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

But, sometimes you just want to get rid of the whiskers as quickly as possible.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Concur.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  20. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

Iv'e used it for travel. Gives nice slick shave. Many don't remember but brushless creams, like Barbasol, Molle, Burma, Colgate and Williams were the biggest sellers at the beginning of the 20th century.