A few issues

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kevinwine85, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

Hey I have a few questions I'd like to ask. First off, there are a couple spots on my neck, that no matter how many times I shave them, they are never smooth, and also what's the best way to cut down on bleeding, I been using feather blades, Mitchell's wool fat and stirling barbershop. I also have sensitive skin. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim99, Edison Carter, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Best way to cut down on bleeding is to not cut yourself. It kinda sounds like you might be trying to hard. Just shave. As your technique builds you will get better shaves in hard spots and less cuts.

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Linuxguile, Terry Williams and Zykris like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Come over and join the group on the 30 Day Rule / Focus. The good folks there will help you with your technique, and you will be amazed at your progress in the next month.

The answer to your question is fairly basic, but it takes practice to develop good technique. That's what the 30 Day Crew is all about. Please check it out. You can join anytime. The party never stops. Beware of the shenanigans. :)

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 8 others like this.
  5. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Most of the time with a DE razor -do not press down on the face.Let the weight of the razor head do the work.Also swap around blades the Feathers may be too sharp and causing irritation.Try a derby or wilkinson or good sense blade,the derby's can be found at Sally's Beauty Supply.The others at independent drug stores if you do not want to order online.Fred's also has nice blades for cheap.Good Luck!

Keithmax, Jim99, BaylorGator and 4 others like this.
  6. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

The neck is a difficult place. First, the hair might really grow in any direction there, mine is growing almost sideways. Unless you go against the grain, you can never be completely smooth, there will always be something that could be felt when rubbing over that place with the fingers. Second, it is not a plain surface, it might be you have spots that can not be shaved against the grain if the geometry of the face is not allowing it. I have such places right under the jaw bone. It might be possible to solve this problem by pulling the skin away from that area. Third, the neck is a sensitive area, over-shaving might lead to bleeding.

My advice is to not care for 100% smoothness. Then use really light strokes, like you would be tickling yourself with a feather.

RyX, Linuxguile and Zykris like this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Hey welcome aboard. You could use some practice, but really I would switch blades right of the bat. That blade has a tendency to slice you up something fierce . I think if you lightened up on the pressure a tad and use a Voskhod or a Personna, you will probably feel a difference.

dangermouse, RyX, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kevinwine85

Thanks for all the advice, also my 59 Fatboy should be arriving soon, any suggestions on what setting I should start with?

Edison Carter, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You might want to leave it in the box until you get your technique problems sorted out. Twisting the knob on an adjustable does not help with that.

AGHisBBS, Edison Carter, RyX and 4 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I humbly suggest sticking with the same razor, brush, and brand of blade and shave cream/soap for at least 30 days. That will give you time to keep the variables to a minimum and work on the basics of your technique. That's the essence of the 30 Day Rule. Most folks that have done this will tell you that it helped them develop a solid technique much faster. At that point, you can begin to venture out and try different hardware and software. Eventually, it won't matter what you use...you'll be getting great shaves!

Congrats on getting a FB. It's a great razor, and you'll enjoy using it. You might wait a month or so, though. ;)

11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. I think you should use your FB. It's a great razor. But, put it on #1 and leave it there until you finished a 30-Day Rule. By that time you will have gotten use to it and start to gradually move up the scale. I ended up on #4 with mine and I don't need to make it any more aggressive than that. The key to shaving this way without pain is all in your technique. And, don't rush to learn; you will only end up more bloody. Shave on days when you have the time and take your time.

BaylorGator, Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This may be unpopular to say, but Feathers would not be my first choice (Nacet, Gillette Silver Blues, Polsilvers for myself). As for you razor, pick one, (your present one or your new Fat Boy) and stick with it for 30 days. That include the blades and the soap; reduce the variables. If you choose the Fat Boy to shave with, I'd start at 3, it's a safe place to start, and stay there for the month, as said reduce the variables. Consistency will make for great shave, even in to your shave prep. As always that's just my thoughts.

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Stop using Feathers! I say this sort of tongue in cheek, sort of. The only time that I've gotten a weeper in the last year was when I used a Feather blade. I will echo what Charlie and the others have said about starting a 30 day rule, feel free to join us over at the 30 Day Rule / Focus thread.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Great advice. I would also suggest the cold water shave. It will make your results better even with excellent technique.

Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  15. Kevinwine85

Ok guys, I'm going to try different blades, I called my local Sally', and they said they had personna, derby, and something that started with f, which would you recommend me trying?

Edison Carter likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Personnas will do the job.

TobyC and Jayaruh like this.
  17. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Go with the Personnas. I believe Sallys carries Personna Blues.

Picked up a 5 pack a while back and they were nice and smooth.

TobyC and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

19. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

If the Personnas/Derbys/Fs don't work then check here:
    http://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/razor-blades/de-blade-samplers/
    https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/razor-blades-sample-packs
    https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/sampler-packs
    You can't drive there easily unless you are in Adrian, MI or L.A., but you can get just about any blade that anyone mentions here. You are bound to find something that you like.

BTW... Maggard's ships really fast. I'm on the West Coast and I get stuff from them regularly within 3 days of ordering using their standard shipping method.

20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Hello.
    I'm a relative newbie who was in a similar situation as yourself not long ago. I applied some of the advice from the great folks here and improved slowly just like you will.
    For the neck, I double checked the growth direction and dropped back to 2 WTG passes till I got better. I watched a number of videos of folks doing N/S passes and calling it WTG. I found my lower neck grows S/N, so doing like the video was ATG.
    For the hardware, I did play around some with the goal to choose what I would use for a 30 day rule. Then, I stuck with it and worked on how I was shaving. I learned to improve. For me, I chose a modern adjustable on a lower setting with a blade reputedly sharper. I used them 3x at most in the beginning and did not push it. I'm still not sure if I have the experience to judge a 'worn out' blade.
    The only time I feel places on my neck "smooth" is when work ATG in that area. I have yet to acquire the ability to do that regularly.
    Best wishes.

Terry Williams and Jim99 like this.