Different Fatboy settings across my face?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by psyrob, Mar 25, 2018.

1. psyrob

psyrob Member

I've been using my Gillette Fatboy exclusively, and my usual routine is to do a first pass WTG on 7 or 8 (with Wilkinson Sword or a Treet blades, my favorites), then on 5 for second pass XTG, then 5 for clean up pass. While this works really well for most of my face, I am finding that my mustache, under my nose, is more sensitive than the rest of my face, and I get nicks and cuts there when I get no nicks anywhere else. It is a little harder to ride the cap under my nose, the Fatboy is bulky, I find, so maybe it is my technique. But I am thinking that I will try a more mild setting for under my nose, like a 3 or 2, for all passes, but my other routine for the rest of my face. Anyone else do this, adjusting the fatboy for different parts of their face?

Primotenore, RyX and MR41 like this.
  2. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I adjust my technique for different parts of my face. I could never go against the grain on my top lip, so I do across the grain passes instead. One nose towards ear then, very gently, one ear to nose. That leaves that section as close to BBS as I can get without ending up covered in cuts.

Tdmsu, brit, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I used to change settings when I first started using Gillette adjustables. But when my technique improved, I just left it on one setting. I now leave it on #6, even tho higher works, this works great doing all the passes.

brit, Primotenore, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  4. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I always left mine on 7. On my slim.

brit, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I leave it on three. I tried adjusting it but it seems to work best for me to leave it along. Having a good soft brush and good soap really help.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

This is exactly how I shave my mustache, and I find it keeps me from having to perform some contortionist moves with my nose to get everything smooth.

Primotenore, RyX and Dansco like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've worked up to number nine on my #195 with whatever blade I choose. Having a mustache for decades keeps me from shaving issues on my upper lip. Good luck with your quest @psyrob!

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I leave my settings alone, 6 or 7 on all parts of my face. I found that if I made the setting too mild I tended to apply to much pressure and that resulted in nicks and irritation. Technique is what matters. But, YMMV

Herm

RyX likes this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That’s the beauty of an adjustable. Adjusting as you go is so easy

RyX likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am a #7 kinda guy...:)

RyX likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

With solid technique there is no need to twist on that silly knob. It's good as training wheels though. Like others pointed out...... in time it all comes together.

brit likes this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I'm on 7 start to finish ATG, I never found a need to adjust after I found the right technique and setting

brit likes this.
  13. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I see where you are coming from, @psyrob. I sold off my Fatboy, but my experience with the modern Charcoal’s level 2 and 3 plates is analogous. My neck is more sensitive and using 2 on the neck and 3 on my face would get me closest to the equilibrium between smooth face/skin feel and closest possible shave. It might be down to technique and learning how the razor works, obviously (and I haven’t had the number 3 plate for more than a couple of weeks), but I’m not sure.

Adjusting a Fatboy is certainly less cumbersome than swapping plates...

14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Never needed to adjust aggression while shaving, some days I feel like shaving on 5 then some days I crank it up to 9, though never below 5

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Adjust your technique, all this focus on settings will drive you nuts. Next it will be different settings for different soaps or water temperature and you don't want to be that guy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    RyX, brit and Dansco like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i get dfs + shaves from all my non adjustable gillettes. some like the post war techs require an extra pass or pick ups. i guess the adjustables replicated different razors.i leave my slim or fatboy on one setting between 4-6 depending on growth.to be honest i don t use them often.

RyX and Dansco like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!! :happy088:

RyX, brit and Dansco like this.
  18. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

If shaving with a EJ DE89 or Merkur 34c about equal to a 4 on a Gillette Adj. would you go out and buy another razor with a higher or lower blade gap for your second pass? If not, then why change the setting on a Fatboy? Like said above. Improve your TECHNIQUE . My Fatboy, Slim and BB is set at 7 and hasn't moved in years, (except when cleaning and adding a drop of oil).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    RyX and brit like this.
  19. psyrob

psyrob Member

Ok, Ok! Focusing on the technique is the key: And jmudrick, you are right, I don't want to be THAT guy!

jmudrick likes this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good technique is important of curse. But why rule out changing settings? If it works for you, I don’t see why it matters I anyone else does it.