Question about blades

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Happy janitor, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Happy janitor

Happy janitor Active Member

after shaving, should the blade be removed from the razor to dry and avoid rusting?

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

If it's a modern stainless steel DE blade - just needs soap rinsed off and shake to remove water. Some blades have coatings like Teflon that may be disturbed if fiddled with. There are some people that go so far as to strop their DE blades, and claim added blade life and smoother shaves. I'm not that into extending blade life because they're inexpensive.

Carbon steel blades will rust up if left wet.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Some blades, like the Gillette Silver Blue, actually have "Do not wipe blade" printed on the wrapper. I just rinse and keep the blade in the razor. It's gonna get changed in 3-4 shaves anyway.

Herm

RyX, jimjo1031 and Screwtape like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Wiping removes Teflon.

RyX, jimjo1031 and Screwtape like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Ditto

7. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Rince after shaving and let dry.

john zeiger likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I belong to the rinse and blot dry club. (open membership)

9. TlawYensid

TlawYensid New Member

Take it out, rinse, dry and put it back in the razor. That’s all I do.

SevenEighth likes this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I wash them off and give a few hard shakes to remove excess water. This should be more than good enough between blade changes.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm a strange one here ... after a shave, I remove the blade rinse, pat dry and set aside both razor and blade (separate from each other). The razor gets a swishing bath in a jar of alcohol to keep soap scum off.

RyX likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am a member of that club too. (Ever wonder what the membership card looks like?)

Enrico and Primotenore like this.
  13. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

Double Ditto

MR41 likes this.
  14. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

I found a small glass jar and added some alcohol to it and after I rinse off my razor in the end I dunk it in the alcohol bath for a few minutes while I finish my post-shave routine and sink cleanup

The alcohol displaces water so this way I dont need to take the razor apart at all and it sterilizes also. Then give it a hard shake and I set it on the shelf for tomorrows shave. I have hard water and the alcohol really helps with ward off the mineral deposits but I still have to clean razor thoroughly once per week

15. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I do the same thing. I just give it an alcohol bath and hang it in a stand ready for its next use. I don't touch the blade. I use my blades 2 or 3 shaves then pitch them as they are so cheap. My procedure with blades and razors is virtually identical to PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL and RyX like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Unless it is a carbon steel blade.....no it should not.

17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Since I tried some Carbon Steel blades for my Single Edge razors, I was in the habit of drying them off.
    I guess I still have the habit, because I take it out, dry it off and store it seperate of the razor.
    But that just me.

Enrico likes this.