How long does a DE blade last ?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Thaipete, May 9, 2018.

1. Thaipete

Thaipete Member

Ok, so how long is a piece of string ! Now I appreciate that depends on many things, not least the beard type but for an ‘average’ person would 4 separate days of shaving from 1 blade be about right ?

The reason I ask it the Derby blades I am using at present have numbers on each edge i.e. 1 to 4 so I have been using side 1 on the first day, twisting 180 deg for the second the flipping over to number 3 side and so on.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Flipping the blade does nothing to make it last. I shave until a blade is dull.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I only started this a few months ago and began with 4 shaves on a blade as I knew no different. I carried that on for the first month while I sorted out technique etc. Over the last couple of months I stretched things a bit as I had technique enough to feel a blade getting "tuggy" i.e. worn. Things vary blade to blade. Astra blades give me an easy 7 so get changed after one week. Feathers are super sharp but start tugging and giving me weepers after 4 shaves.

In terms of beard I'd say I am bog standard average in terms of density but at 53 the hair has become quite coarse/thick.

I haven't flipped a blade intentionally, but may do when I dry it after a shave , I never think about it.

All the above what's worked for me. In essence, to start with go conservative for a month, 3-4 shaves a blade, same blade. Once happy with that just add a day here and there until it is no longer comfortable and that's how long it lasts for you.

Hope this helps.

RyX, Primotenore, CarlfromMO and 2 others like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I flip my blades even though virtually everybody says it’s a waste of time. I get that, but it’s my own ritual and another story for another thread.

Either way, blade life varies and depends on the make and quality of the blade and your tolerance/sensitivity to tugging. Other variables impact blade life, but those are the key ones to me.

Depending on the brand and how I feel on any particular morning, I get 4 to 8 shaves per blade.

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

A good blade will last 30 to 90 shaves, a Derby is good for about 10.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I don't flip, or dry, or remove my blades, any handling of the blade will only prove detrimental to it's life expectancy.

PanChango likes this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I like a smooth, comfortable shave. Since blades are cheap I rarely use over more than 3-4 shaves. Why struggle with a dull blade? I need my BBS face.

Herm

Jim99, RyX and Terry Williams like this.
  8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I think the answer is the blade lasts until you don't like using it. For me, I'm like @Herm2502; I get about 3-4 shaves on most DE blades. After that it seems like the blade is a little rough, or my neck starts to itch in the afternoon, or it just doesn't cut well. So, I change it out. They're cheap.

And, just like @Jim99, I also flip the blade after each shave. I don't know if it helps, but it's a habit now and makes me feel better. You will figure out what works for you.

brit, kfbrady, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  9. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I can get 7 quality shaves from my Astra SPs. Then they begin changing and I have to adjust pressure and technique to continue getting good shaves. 100 blades for $10 means I can shave for a whole year for $5 in blades. I can’t see pushing a blade for such a small savings. Particularly since I have 500 or so blades around the house.

TobyC and Jim99 like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

How do you tell if a blade is getting dull? If it is tugging or has gone past its normal life of # of shaves & does a bad clean up it is time to TOSS in the blade bin!
    I made a recent rule just recently, after 8 months of DE shaving with good quality blades I averaged 5 to 7> shaves so the Toss will occur after 6 shaves Max of my 2.5 passes per shave. Why push a blade, enjoy it because blades are one of the cheapest items ($.02 to $.04 per shave) of DE shaving.

Jim99 likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Wowsers! That’s crazy

Jim99 and TobyC like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hello!

Flipping the blade doesn't do anything. Blade life is heavily dependent upon angle and pressure. Most people can comfortably pull between 3-7 shaves per blade. I've had a Derby last 17 days, and a GSB 21, but my technique is focused on the lowest attack angle possible at skin level. This slows the rolling effect that shaving has on the bevel through a more "head-on" presentation to the hair shaft. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy TSD!

+1

In traditional shaving, less is usually more.

Primotenore and TobyC like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Wiping blades to dry them disturbs the Teflon, reducing blade life and smoothness.

TobyC likes this.
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I blot the blade rather than wipe but I'll try just leaving one to air dry now you've said that. Thanks

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

You could splash it with 90% isopropyl alcohol. That would displace water, sterilize, and dry without residue.

KenH and Linuxguile like this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Or just leave the blade in the razor and dunk the whole razor head in a small jar of iso.

KenH likes this.
  17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Or just rinse the razor, shake it dry, and put it away.

Herm2502 likes this.
  18. Herm2502

I'm thinking it was sarcasm?

Herm

TobyC and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. Herm2502

Yep. After all it's only MY germs...

Herm

TobyC and Jim99 like this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

No sarcasm. I meant what I said. It’s crazy as in “ that’s incredible “ or “ that’s amazing “ or similar other mix of words that describe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herm2502, TobyC and Linuxguile like this.