G. Gershwin on Shaving and Oysters

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jmudrick, May 12, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A random note I came across, made me smile to know a good shave was on George's top ten list. I'll take issue with the oysters. The record is silent whether Ira shared George's dislike for oysters/ersters...[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was a very odd child ... I enjoyed listening to his record of "Rhapsody in Blue" and An American in Paris" since I was ~8 years old.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This is super cool. I love the spontaneity. You can tell it was just something he whipped off for the sake of clearing his head or some such. It would be a cool thread if everyone made up a top/worst thread like that.

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm a huge fan. My favorite recording is the Mitch Miller, I just rebought the CD this week.[​IMG]

There are some interesting interviews with Whiteman and Grofe talking about the composition of the piece, definitely worth checking out on YouTube if you have not yet.

Keithmax, PLAla, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

George was an interesting man. He has been quoted as saying that he wrote Rhapsody In Blue on a train ride.

Keithmax and PLAla like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gershwin probably did this in late '36 a few months before his death, judging from the Irving Thalberg reference.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ha, well not exactly. One of the motifs from an earlier date quite possibly, but it was composed over a period of weeks in preparation for a concert, with Whiteman looking over his shoulder and Grofe working on the orchestration.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Whiteman: