Brush knot making tools

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Vlasta, May 16, 2018.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi - does anyone know where I can get a set of the "cups" for forming brush knots. And... does anyone know the name of such cups? Or the terminology of brush making so I can at least search online?

RyX likes this.
  2. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

The cups they use after weighing the hair look pretty standard. Just something to hold and keep the hair oriented correctly. Then at around 50 seconds they move it into a form and tamp it down, I suppose, to get the shape of the knot before tying it off with butchers twine. In the second video they tie the base off with more twine before being glued into the handle. I don't think your going to be able to buy these tools anywhere, and you'll likely have to make a couple of forms out of wood or something.

3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Do you happen to know the name for the forming tool?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Contact Mark at Progress/Vulfix/Simpson. I bet he can help you or put you in touch with someone who has been making knots for a half century or so.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    But why would a brush maker want to help me do something that takes some of their business? Anyway do you You have an email for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Check out this link to Shavemac's website.

I believe what you want is called a "Forming Block".

Keithmax, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

8. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It's unlikely you present a great threat to Vulfix or Simpson. But Mark is also very dedicated to the traditional brush making craft and would almost certainly encourage and help you in anyway he can. Shaving brushes are still really a niche item and there is lots of room to grow. If you interest someone in shaving brushes then someday they will almost certainly buy more than one or try brushes from a variety of companies.

Remember this picture?

[​IMG]

Keithmax and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Go on alibaba they will sell anything to anyone lol. Check it out I’m sure there called something else though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
  10. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Unfortunately knot!!

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy102:

12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I thought I heard a reference to them as "cannons". I don't where I heard it but I'm sure it was a shaving site.

PLANofMAN and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I saw this too they are actually using 20mm cannon shells aka bullet shells. If you can get your hands on them and 20mm is your goal that's great. Here in Canada we're not allowed to buy stuff like that. But I did read that some of these guys are making molds with PVC piping and copper which is actually great because there is many different sizes to choose from. If your good with a blow torch and a Dremel bit I would assume you can even expand the copper further. I'm not good at this so I wouldn't even attempt. I found a link that may help. Didn't know this was such a difficult task to find a 28 or 30mm cup.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-shaving-brush/
    Hope this helps anything I can do to encourage a new business

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
  14. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I think you could make a forming block out of almost any piping. You just have to be careful about the actual size. For example 1" PVC pipe that I just looked up on H-D's website has an inside diameter of 0.878" which is 22.3mm. That's not a bad size for a knot. The next size up would be to buy a 1" PVC coupling which measures 1.125" or 28.575mm. If you intend to turn your own handles then you can make a knot in any odd size.

If you had access to a UK hardware store like B&Q you might have access to a better range of mm sizes, just keep in mind that nominal diameters and actual diameters are typically a little different.

I'd turn down a piece of wood to make a tight fitting plug with a convex face to match the brush shape I wanted (bulb, fan or flat top) and glue it in place inside the pipe.

CastleShave, Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Or, you could have a machinist make it out of brass, any size you like, and Teflon coat the inside. I would do a 2 or three piece design.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

IMG_20160301_193124.jpg
    :)

DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  17. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am finally revving myself up to actually make knots... I am going to get the forming tools 3D printed. Watch this space.

PLANofMAN and Douglas Carey like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You are correct. The traditional name for the knot shapers is 'cannon.' The old texts don't explain why it is called that, but it is most likely because the molds were shaped like toy cannons and were made of brass.

Edit: I don't remember if it was from a book, most likely "A brushmaker and his craft," or from a post by Gary Young (Simpson's family member and descendant). Gary was a wealth of information, and also shared other brushmaking techniques, such as "collaring," which gives a two-band brush a distinctive appearance.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Vlasta likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The other tool needed is a board with nails driven into and through it. (AKA "bed of nails.") Once the knot is tied and the base trimmed, the knot is pushed into the spikes. Then glued together. This ensures optimal glue penetration.

I would disregard that instructable above from the 2018 post. It's very wrong on everything.

Practice with paintbrush hair before badger. Look for "china white bristle." This is the best grade of hair for boar knots. Best hair for paintbrushes too, come to that.

Edit: you'll want to use strong but thin cord for knot tying. Carpet thread is probably the best choice, but Tiger thread might be a good alternative. Simpson's uses what looks like butcher twine. ShaveMac uses blue twine.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Vlasta likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team