Merkur 38C..... First Impressions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by madmedic, May 22, 2007.

1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I used my new Merkur 38C for the first time this morning. This is a BIG and HEAVY razor. Finish is very impressive, and the weight of the razor does most of the work. The razor head is the same as the HD.....so I would describe using it as being able to use a Futur without having to think!!!!!

I can think of no downsides at all......however results are similar to those when using an HD....so it is ideal for those who like the extra weight, but find the HD handle to be too short.

A full review will follow in due course....once I have tried a selection of blades.

2. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

looking forward to it.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I've used my 38C for several days now with different blades. It was a little awkward at first and I was concered that maybe I shouldn't have pulled the trigger. This was my first Merkur and have always used Gillettes. It takes a bit to determine how to hold it, did someone say Huge and Heavy? I had trouble finding a balance point that worked for me. I really enjoy using it now.
    So far I have tried; Crystals, Wilkenson UK's, Sharps and Feathers. This is the first time I have used the Feathers without road rash, a really good shave.
    I'm happy!

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Since I have a few long handled Parkers, this was not a big transition for me. It's a nice razor and I'm used to heavy so I'm quite pleased with it. I probably will hold off on any more DE razor purchases for a while. I have a Gold Slant coming and if they make the 38C in gold, I might get it but, I'm happy with this razor and it should round out my DE collection.

5. fritz

fritz New Member

+1
    That would of course be a 38G, if gold. And I would get the open comb, myself. Just because I don't have any open combs at the moment. I would then have the Vision, gold Futur, gold Slant, LHC, and 38G OC. I already get super shaves from the first 3, good shaves from the LHC. The 38G OC would be about the only big difference left...;)

6. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I actually like the short handle on my Slant and HD, so I can't see buying any long-handled versions of either. However, I can see buying a Futur or Vision at some point. When I can remember which one is the poorly manufactured one you have to take apart, insert duct tape, and reassemble to make it work properly. ;)