After shave splash vs. skin bracer. What's the diff?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by nlpavalko, Jan 6, 2009.

1. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and thought I'd post a question which has been nagging me for some time, and maybe ask a few questions in the process.

I currently use an off-brand skin bracer which is green and comes in a plastic bottle. I love using it, it gives me that great cooling feel after I shave, but I'm thinking there is something more that I'm missing.

Are there other non-generic skin bracers with specific scents such as citrus which will still give me that cooling sensation?

In additon, are there high-end bracers with more subtle scents that might last longer than a few hours and will cool my skin?

And, is there a difference between a bracer and an aftershave splash?

Thanks for all the potential help!

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nope. Skin Bracer is just a brand name. It's still an aftershave splash. They make a balm, too, I think?

Welcome to The Shave Den, nlpavalko!

Don't forget to sign up for the January Newbie Give-Away! (link in my sig line below)

3. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Wow, thanks for the quick response! What about different scents? Any suggestions?

4. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

You need to go down to your local Wal Mart, and get a bottle of Aqua Velva. You will most likely dump your current choice down the sink.

5. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Aqua Velva? Really? I assumed that was either low-end or too old man-ish.

6. Queen of Blades

Big ol' +1 from me! :drool

7. Queen of Blades

Yep, yep!

btw, you're probably gonna end up regretting starting this thread. :D Before you know it you'll have 20, 50, 100 aftershaves. :rofl

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Don't listen to the Aqua Velva hype. No one uses that stuff. Stick with Skin Bracer and dump the AV. Jack Palance is still right after all these years.

BTW Welcome and avoid HAVOC.

9. Queen of Blades

He's just joking. More people here use Aqua Velva than don't.

10. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

I'm sure I will eventually have an entire closet of AS/splashes, but luckily I'ma poor graduate student and have not the money to spend.

Again, though, I am looking for some kind of citrus or perhaps just non-generic splash. Does this exist?

11. Queen of Blades

Are you adverse to shopping online? I can't think of any citrusy aftershaves you can pick up locally. Perhaps the guys can help better than I can with that.

12. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Yes, I'm perfectly fine with interwebs shopping (would prefer it in fact because of possibly lower prices).

13. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Seriously, I am not joking. There is a loyal following and opinions vary. I am not on the side of HAVOC.

Just stop by the local pharmacy and pick up some Old Spice or Skin Bracer Blue or Green. As for citrus, Clubman if you can find it. Also Bath and Body or Whole foods has some citrusy stuff.

14. Queen of Blades

I'm sorry. I thought your post was in the light-hearted spirit in which the Velva War is meant to be. :confused:

15. rollsshaver

Then you need to check out The Shave Dens store. JoAnna here makes a wonderful aftershave. Make sure to browse through the scent descriptions. SHe has a few citrusy choices. Also, when you go to order, make sure to add menthol and allantoin to your splash.

Here is a link directly to the page.......

http://www.theshaveden.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=75

Oh yeah, wait a few days before you actually place an order. JoAnna needs to chill for a couple days due to an injured arm.

16. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Hey, I didn't know SD had a store! Neat! I'm not lookign to order really any time soon. Maybe sometime come spring. I need to get a new brush (curently have a cheap $8 boars hair brush) and maybe a new kind of splash.

17. rollsshaver

You really should check out Aqua Velva. Wal-Mart has 7oz bottles for under $5. That will last a long time. It is a methol punch with a shot of glycerine too. The scent is an aquatic type. Women have loved AV men for decades!!

18. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

I probably will try it when I run out of Skin Bracer, and who knows maybe I will be an AV man!

Here's another question for you all tehn. If you use an aftershave splash do you also then use a cologne of some kind? My assumption would be no, but maybe someone makes an unscented splash?

19. rollsshaver

Most AS's are weakly scented, and you can use a cologne in conjunction with them. Many colognes also come in an aftershave strength too. Another thing, make sure that you get yourself a balm too. Most splashes are alcohol based. That is good for disinfecting and toning the skin, but it dries it out also. You need something that puts the moisture back in the ole 'dermis. Otherwise you will look like an old man too soon.

20. nlpavalko

nlpavalko New Member

Yes, if fact I already use Nivea for Men balm. It's relatively inexpensive and works very well.

Any suggestions for coupling AS and cologne? Maybe something musky as an AS then a lighter scented cologne? Or should I try for similar scents.

As of right now I have the Bracer and also use a little Axe body spray. I know I know I know. . . . . Axe is cheap and yucky and very much in the realm of high school scents, but again, I'm a poor starving college student. . . . . . . . . . . . . plus I don't want to throw away an entire can of perfectly useable body spary! :p