A pre-shave lather? Any reason for it?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by omegapd, Feb 9, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I see this mentioned here occasionally...a pre-shave lather. Other than getting to use up some crummy shave soap that doesn't lather well, is there another reason for doing this?

Just curious. I did it this morning with some Ebay soap that doesn't lather well but contains aloe and shea butter and didn't notice any difference when the shave started.

Thanks in advance,

EW

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I use some pre lather slather as part of my prep to help soften my beard. I put some of the cream on before i get it worked into the best lather, then wash it off and reapply the lather for the shave a few minutes later. I think it helps with my pre shave routine.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It softens the beard. I use the same soap or cream that I shave with for the pre shave lather/soak.

4. djwurm

djwurm New Member

so you guys are lathering up then wiping it off?

Why not just shave with that lather since it is already on the face?

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I rub some prelather into my beard with my fingers and let it sit there for about 2 minutes or so.
    I then take the brush to beard and lather on my face....over the top of the prelather.
    I dont wash it off.

6. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I lather and rinse, too... as I'm assuming that would carry the oils away from the hairs better than lathering alone.

'could be totally off base, but it still allows the beard some of that soak-time that I'm after.

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

This is what I do also.

8. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I guess I really don't see the benefit of washing off a first coat of lather unless you didn't wash your face to begin with.

I wash my face first in the shower before I shave so most if not all of the dirt and oils should be gone.

I also make sure I spend 45 seconds or more rubbing the brush on my face on the first lather, then go straight into my first pass.

9. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

I wash my face with a bar of lavender soap, some generic French stuff that's been sitting in a cabinet for ages... :D

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This pre lather is usually thicker then my shaving lather. So I wipe it off.. not like I am wasting that much stuff.... I also wipe my face between passes.

Fuzzy

11. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I also do this but is to see the spots I need to work on and to rehydrate my face.

12. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I should say, I shave before showering, so I take some extra time to hydrate.

13. omegapd

omegapd New Member

great replies everyone. It's making more sense to me now.

Thank you,

EW

14. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I use something during my prep. It eventually is pretty much gone by the time I am ready to apply the lather for my first pass.

I use a generic version of the original Noxzema Skin Cream. I apply it generously after showering. Once applied I apply my hot towel for a minute. I then re wet and apply the towel for a second minute. Vola! I'm done with my prep.

I notice that when I prep in this way I get a very good shave and that my beard is much softer than it was before the prep.

That said, I have done my prep a few times when the Noxzema was not available or I just forgot to apply it. Went through the same steps with the hot towel and to my surprise I got results similar to I got when I used the Noxzema.

So as far as I am concerned, I like the cooling effect of the Noxzema but if I did not have it to use I would not be unhappy.

And I did try using some lather from the soap or cream I was going to use that day and found that much less satisfying. And a lot more expensive.

15. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Ditto.

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

I am a little confused. Why would you want to wash all the oils off your face?
    If you don't want oil there then why are there all those shave oils on the market?

Is oiling vs not oiling a philosophical difference between shavers?

Or am I just over thinking this?

17. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

What these guys--and a few others--said. The idea is to further soften up and water log those whiskers making them easier to shave.

The reason for rinsing is the same reason you rinse between passes (if you do multiple passes). The soap tends to dry a bit on the face which can lead to skips and drag. Rinsing washes away all the dry lather and re hydrates the face with fresh water. Then you apply the finished product lather over wet skin, and you've got a slippery smooth surface to shave. Remember, wet shaving is all about the 'wet' part. :happy088

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

ohh I was part of Sheps multi quote.. of course I started that part of my prep after he suggested it.

Fuzzy

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

So then the oil stuff would be a little silly bc it is just going to get washed off anyway.