Open Comb DE's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shep, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I'm working my way through a pile of open comb razors that Rodd sent me to test. Mostly Gillette's if memory serves. I must say I am impressed with the closeness of the shave I'm getting. I haven't used them all yet, but those I have are among the most aggressive razors I've tried. I didn't fully appreciate what that term "aggressive" meant until now. I've used a Merkur long handle, a Gillette SS and a Merkur Slant. We always talk about no pressure, but in fact I have always applied a light pressure to achieve best results. I am now truly applying no pressure with these open combs. The blade rides so much closer to the skin and really seems to take down the whiskers in fewer passes.

Needless to say I like it. I'm closer to BBS in fewer passes than ever before. I wouldn't have thought an open comb vs. a straight bar would make much of a difference. I was wrong. If you get a chance try one out and see what you think. Thanks Rodd!

2. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I have been thinking about putting up a WTB for an open comb.. this makes me want to do it asap!

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

gillette old type - best DE razor ever. evereverevereverEVEReverever.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I actually just got an OLD last week.. it shaves better then my New Improved that I love. I hope the single rings does as well.

Shep now you need to try a lather catcher SE. They are even better IMO. Seems that most SE guys like the older Open Combs also

Fuzzy

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Maybe it is the other way around, that open-comb DE guys also like SE (at least in my case that is the case).

Old is nice.... but I prefer the NEW. Actually the NEW goodwill is very good as well.

6. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Silly Boys, open combs are for Girls! Love mine! Looking forward to trying out the SE too. (bbaaaddd Bunny and the revolution)

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i wish every other type of razor into the cornfield..

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well no wonder I can't find them in the stores. I should start looking in the cornfield. Thanks!

9. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Hey! I'm working this side of the cornfield! :D

10. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

SLow down I ca't keep up

New ,Old, SE, I would like to try an open comb since I am wanting to cut down from three passes + tu to two pass and tu. Since I do not want to do the research would it be better to buy that new R41 and give it a try. Since the open combs seem to be a littel more of a mystery. I have read some say this is best and that is not on the vintage side What is the Dens advice?

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You want aggressive open Comb go vintage Gillette.. I do not want anything that is new.. but ymmv.

Fuzzy

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

:D

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Viva le revolution...::kar

Fuzzy

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

how did i not see this earlier?

:love008:love008:love008

15. MsBlackwolf

I have a Gem coming. I was hoping it would arrive today but no such luck. Hopefully Monday. (I HATE waiting for stuff in the mail)

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

We usually put a lawn chair out by the mail box for the wait.

Fuzzy

17. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i dont even sleep in the house anymore. i moved my mattress by the curb.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Now THAT ladies and gentleman is dedication.

Fuzzy

19. MsBlackwolf

Now THAT"S dedication!

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

oh no you didn't say almost the same thing i did..

Fuzzy