Open Comb DE's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shep, Feb 28, 2009.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

He sold it to me for $50. you did not get your cut?

You will not be disappointed me thinks.. then when you like it you can get a SE and try a real razor.:happy102

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Here is a quick picture and info I sent the Dude when I was sending them. If anyone is interested in info on any of the individual razors I sent let me know, I can paste that info over also. Hopefully this will be of use in identifying razors.

This next picture shows the differences between the types of Gillette heads well:
    [​IMG]
    NEW Deluxe, NEW, New Improved, Old

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Is that then thin cap old there Rodd?

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I do believe so. I don't know the SN off hand, and Shep has it, so you would have to ask him.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do wish I could narrow mine down more.. No S/N and I think a thicker head... which makes it somewhere between 1921 and 29.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The thick heads came before thin right? I don't know a whole lot about Old types. I have my Bulldog, the one Shep has now, and that is it. :(

Edit: OK, I lied. Actually I just forgot about a couple. I have a Canadian ball end Old, and an Old type Big Fellow

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Thins came first. Thicker heads started in 1921.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

yea thicker later I have been told... grrr but hey it was made pre 1930 so that is old enough.,,:D

Fuzzy

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've got a Sheraton and it's the only open-comb I've ever used. I find it to be a mild shaver, lower on the scale than say a red tip. Don't know how it compares to the others in this lot of 3 piece open combs.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think that I want a Sheridan.. open comb tto sounds interesting. I am waiting to get my red tip in, get it fixed and see how it shaves compared to my Gdad's ss.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It sounds interesting, but TTO heads just aren't as good as 3 piece or SE in my experience. I still want to try it.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not expect them to be as good as the 3 peice.. but it is still intresting. I will grab one sometime just cause they look cool.

Fuzzy

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am considering starting a traveling box of open combs. If you are interested please PM me. No promises yet as to how many and which razors will be in it, but it would give people a chance to see what they like without having to buy all of them. It would be your responsibility to pay for shipping to the next person on my list.

14. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I have a sheraton and a senator, you can try either, they are the same, just different finish, gold vs standard.
    I can send either for you to try with the palmolive sticks when they come in/go out

EDIT: I got trumped by Rodd's offer. :rofl

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow... that is very generous and a great idea!

:1respect :happy088

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Cool I have though about forwarding the revolution this way. Letting people try out the SE stuff.. I need to aquire a few more then I will match your open comb box with a SE box.. minus the lather catcher that is....:D

I am kinda doing the same with SE stuff.. Dom wanted to try sent him a lather catcher and 1912.. he is keeping the 1912.

If you have not packed it send the regular one. I will use it a bit then send it back to you.

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Now, if either of you have one of the often discussed, never seen, open-comb slant I would be very happy to take that on a test drive.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

slant schmant

Fuzzy

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am currently bidding on one. (literally)

20. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Is that a not-so-subtle hint? :D

I would be willing to trade my Sheraton for a New, if anyone is interested.