What the heck does sandalwood smell like!?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by npinn001, Mar 22, 2009.

1. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

I know im asking you to describe a smell and that its kinda stupid, but does it smell similar to anything for comparison? I want to order a couple of bits that come in indian sandalwood as one option, or rose or lime, but no idea what to expect from sandalwood

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

well, the key is to be found in the word "wood". In general it's a woodsy, spicy, earthly kinda scent, but there are many different variants out there. I like it :D

3. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

4. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

Cheers clubmanRob, just read it.Thanks for the input. I asked on other forum but would you say its summery or wintery scent....summers around the corner so dont want to order if its wintery

pitdoug1998 likes this.
  5. Corey

Corey Member

ClubmanRob has a good handle on it, but I highly recommend getting different samples from different vendors if you're interested in the stuff. I have the TOBS Sandalwood shave cream, and it smells a little medicine-y, but fades nicely into a more woodsy smell. It also smells almost nothing like the Sandalwood soap (regular soap, not shave soap) I got from a natural food place. And even that stuff had a different scent to it than the other sandalwood soaps in the same isle. The range of scents that are marked as Sandalwood vary so much and can also change dramatically when mixed with your body chemistry.

How's that for an answer that's not an answer even though it is an answer?

pitdoug1998 likes this.
  6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

This is one of those things, in my opinion that you need to go into a city and see for yourself. No doubt you have some cities near you that can show you what it smells like.

7. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Go to your nearest department store or Dollar store and look in the candle department. You'll find sandlewood scented candles and/or incense fairly easily and can sample it for yourself. Of course there will be variations when it's added to soaps and creams or lotions but the basic scent is there.

It's one of my favorite scents btw.

8. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Find an Indian grocer that sells Mysore Sandalwood Bath Soap and buy it.

You'll start wanting to shower 30 times a day.

9. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

sandalwood? Smells like big bottomed hippie women, or is that patchouli? I can never get them straight.

Doc.

Oinc likes this.
  10. Corey

Corey Member

That would be patchouli. Amazing how someone would willingly blend body odor, stale pot smoke, moldy cheese, and exotic poo stench all into one volatile stench. It's almost as amazing as the fact that there are people who actively seek out that stench and pay for it.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sandalwood smells like heaven.

12. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

+1 - esp. Eastern-made.

The English should stick for floral.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

no, thats special reserve.

14. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

+1
    I have never seen a more accurate description of patcholi! YeeGods where do they get that crap anyway:sick007

15. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I agree with some of the folks about how SW smell different depending on vendor. I have smelled at least 8 different brands and they all smell completely different? My favorite and I feel most accurate is the QED even though it is harsh on my skin. But Connaught and GFT smell very nice and kind of cologne like. Salters smells like cinnamon cookies? T&H actually smells woodsy and very pleasant but doesnt get much talk for some reason? You really have to try the samples out;) I smelled QED and thought all SW soaps and creams were identical. Far from the truth.

16. npinn001

npinn001 New Member

Ah well its connaught stuff im looking at. Meant to be very good. Paul was good enough to send me a sample with my last order, but yet to try it!