Advice for straight razors users, and those that want to be

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PalmettoB, Jul 18, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Many of you might have seen this, but some of the newbies and those of you that have been thinking about getting into straights might benefit from this guide by Dr. Chris Moss called The Art of the Straight Razor Shave.

If you'd rather have a nice print version, there is one available here in full color paperback.

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

First I want to thank Blair for bringing this comprehensive guide to our forum. This is indeed a complete guide for newbies and experience users alike. Now it is here for easy reference to all members. Please take time to read this guide and I am sure you will agree it is The Guide for Straight Razors .

Again, a big thank you to Blair and to Dr. Chris Moss for his contribution, time and effort. Enjoy.

Raf

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I, too, want to add my thanks to Blair for posting this guide and to Dr. Moss for creating it.

There is great information in it for anyone beginning or thinking of beginning to shave with a straight razor.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

When I emailed Chris, he said he was also working on an advanced version, so stay tuned. ;)

As many of y'all might know, Chris is also the "father" of the Moss scuttle. It was he who sent the design to Sara Bonnyman. He is a real asset to the shaving community in general, and especially us str8 shavers!

5. Reformation Student

:happy108

An advanced version. That will be worth the wait for sure!!

6. Reformation Student

Instruction applied

Hi guys,

I wanted to add a footnote here because, as a result of reading this guide again, I changed some of my shaving strokes.

The result was a much better shave than I have gotten in a while. In particular, I have been having trouble getting under my chin clean without irritation. I noticed that Dr. Moss used a diagonal pass under his chin for his second go over. I tried that and cut clean through all the whiskers in that area leaving BBS and no irritation. Similar results were had on my upper lip by changing the strokes I was using for the strokes he used.

Just goes to show that even a semi-experienced shaver can benefit from trying even little changes.

BeShaved likes this.
  7. gugi

gugi New Member

being a newbie i should probably tape the pictures of the storkes it by the mirror.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

:signs097

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I read through the info in this thread and it REALLY makes me want to try a straight razor one day soon (uh oh.. the bug is catching!). I remember I tried to do a straight shave years ago with no previous info and a lot of my questions were answered. Heck some of the ideas Dr. Moss puts forth would help DE shavers too.

Great read!

BeShaved likes this.
  10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

As long as we are tallying up his "contributions", let's not forget about the development of the adjustable brush - The Shavemac VLB

11. minderasr

minderasr Member

I own one, great brush. But the damned thing is HUGE! Forget about using your stand with this one.

12. Lynn

Lynn New Member

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I have that very DVD in my player right now :)

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Link doesn't seem to be working, Lynn.

You have double http on the address.

15. minderasr

minderasr Member

+1
    That dvd hasn't left my player since it arrived. I refer to it all the time.

16. riffin

riffin Active Member

Coming late to the party... :)

This is EXACTLY what I've been loking for. I've been experimenting with a shavette (a Sanguin Coolcut). It takes half of a DE. I started with a used blade I dulled with sandpaper. I could still feel it when I dug in, but it didn't break the skin.

After a few "shaves" I wondered of a Feather ProGuard would fit. Lo and behold it did! I butted it up against the posts with the extra length of the blade extending out of the bottom of the holder, closed it and clamped it down. The Feather is thicker than a DE, so it was tight. That's good since the blade doesn't actually wrap around the post like the DE. Hasn't budged yet.

I've been practicing for about a week just doing the first pass with the Coolcut, then switching to my DE. I've had problems finding good positions so I can get the right angle and see w/o my hand or the handle getting in the way. So this guide is perfect. I may take gugi's advice and tape the pictures next to the mirror :)

Thanks!

BeShaved likes this.
  17. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

correct angle suggestion

As long as you are getting started and getting the hang of it, try using your left hand. It is not as scary as you might think. I am right handed and and had very little trouble transitioning to be able to shave with my left hand. I still can't throw a baseball with my left hand or anything like that but I have very good control with the fine motor skills necessary to shave.

Mastering the use of both hands will allow you to see better and lessen the effort necessary to do contortions with one hand.

Good luck!

Keep on shaving,
    Steve

18. Hefledthescene

Hefledthescene New Member

being a 20 y.o. with a penchant for acquiring sharp things and making them sharper, im glad i read that article. now to find some place around here that has strops...

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor