Need to turn a DE blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SirWhiskers, Dec 1, 2009.

1. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

Say after a few shaves with a DE blade, do you need to open the razor and turn it upside down to get more shaves out of it or it doesn't really matter?

2. Compa

Compa Member

I never do it, I think it doesn't make a big difference (if any).
    Strop your blade if you wanna extend its life ;)

3. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

I don't know what stropping means.

4. sirdonkeypunch

sirdonkeypunch New Member

the blade is sharp because theres 2 angles acheive a certain point..... even if you turn it upside down, its still going to be the same point, maybe inversed, but doesnt seem like it would be effective by any means. but then again ive never tried.

5. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

It's just like a chef's knife - It doesn't matter if you slice with the knife leaning a little to the left or to the right, either way the cutting edge is still going to get dull... so, flipping the blade won't add any more life to it.

6. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

And how do you make sure each edge of the blade gets equal use? each shave you use both edges about equally or one shave with one edge, the next shave with the next edge, or next pass?

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

8. bperryman1

bperryman1 Member

yea I remember asking this same question the most common answer is "do what works for you". To me the nice thing about this hobby or way of shaving is you can pick and choose so many different options. Blades are cheap try some without flipping try some with flipping and if you want try some with hand stropping. I personally flip it when im done shaving cause I like to rinse my razor off and I think in my head anyways it helps lol. Good luck and I hope you find what works best for you.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I take a couple of swipes, rinse the razor, rotate the razor in my hand to the other edge, take a few swipes, rinse, rotate the razor... you get the idea. And, no, I don't count the number of swipes or turns to make sure each edge of the blade gets 43.736485 passes per shave. I just shave.

Here's a test you can do: Don't flip your blade and use it until it starts to tug and pull. Flip it over and see if it makes a difference to you. If it does, then flip your blade for extended life. As has been mentioned, you'll probably find it doesn't really do much. Or, don't sweat it and just shave.

The problem with the written word is you don't get tone of voice or facial expression. I say all of this with a friendly smile and encourage you to enjoy your shave.

10. zimmer

zimmer Member

I have had the same thought and tried it a few times. Logically, it would seem that only the "half" of the blade touching the whisker would be affected by the cutting but I tend to think that cutting doesn't dull the blade as much as the corrosion from getting it wet.
    I figure I pay about .10 per blade and one blade can last 5-7 days, so just switch out when it the time comes. The theory has always intrigued me and would be a good subject for mythbusters. Without a really good lens, you can't see exactly how much of the blade touches the whisker.

11. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

Thanks for the tips.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

UMMM what half.. it is the edge that cuts... and no matter what side of the blade is up it is still using the same edge....or did I miss something.

Fuzzy

13. Compa

Compa Member

Sorry for not including this on my previous response hehe
    Here you can see how to strop a DE blade.

strop  [strop] Show IPA ,noun, verb, stropped, strop⋅ping.
    –noun
    1. any of several devices for sharpening razors, esp. a strip of leather or other flexible material.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10716 <-- Stropping a DE Blade

I hope this helps :)

14. zimmer

zimmer Member

I'm thinking that since you have the blade at a 30 angle, you have only part of the edge...either the top part or bottom, doing the cutting. If you use an old blade, hold it at that angle, pour some talcum on a flat surface (I have way too much free time), and pull the blade, you will find much more talcum on one side of the edge than the other. Or...shave, open the razor and look at the blade edge. One side of the edge will have more lather and the other, practically none.
    I can imagine how far a discussion like this would go between a couple of stoners.

I'm not stuck on this theory and love to be proved wrong...so go for it.

15. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

There is an edge, or a point and not one side or the other, that cuts. You have a blade at an angle and that is why more lather or talcum powder is on one side than the other. No proof...just my theory.
    That said, I still turn my blade over after stropping before every shave.

16. zimmer

zimmer Member

The question merits the purchase of microscope and some video to find out. I think it's a good mythbusters question. Kind of like the "using jeans to hone a DE" theory.

17. Compa

Compa Member

Quick analysis here: Doesn't matter the angle, both sides of the edge will suffer the same wear out.

This is why:
    Your blade does not cut your whiskers with its "Bottom side" (the side that touches the skin) Your blade cuts the whiskers with the edge, the inner surface of the whisker is touching both edges of the razor hence wearing out both edges at the same time.

Think about it in a bigger scale, when you cut a slice oh ham with your knife and you do it in angle, both sides of the knife are in contact with the meat. turning the knife will not make any difference 'cause what really makes the knife to lose sharp is the contact of the edge against a solid surface.

18. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

Sorry I opened the proverbial can of worms here.

19. zimmer

zimmer Member

But...if you held said knife at a 30 angle and scraped the ham(unless it's a honey baked...pre sliced), you would more affect the first part of the edge that contacts the surface.
    You aren't slicing with a razor blade (or shouldn't be), you are cutting hair that is growing at a perpendicular angle to the skin surface, by holding edge at a 30* angle to that perpendicular hair shaft and therefore are contacting same with only that part of the edge.
    It's raining here in Florida so I can only sit here and ponder completely irrelevant questions such as this.