Fatboy vs. Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Loner16, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Loner16

Loner16 New Member

Due to the recent bids that Gillette Fatboys have been bringing on ebay, I probably will not be adding one to the stable anytime soon, barring a find in an out of the way shop somewhere. I have a Slim adjustable on the way (hopefully) that I bought for sentimental reasons, but I plan to use it also.
    So, my question is this... Do these razors shave any differently? The head seems to be quite similar, but I'm interested in the opinions of those who have used both.

Thoughts??

2. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

I myself would love to know the answer to this question!

I have an adjustable Slim that I really like and was pondering if the Fat boy or the SS adjustable shave any better!

3. Hi there,

The slim and fatboy will most likely provide two very different types of shaves. That's certainly the case with me, and many other members who've mentioned this point.

To very briefly go over a couple items: The handle design(both length and knurling) is different. the razor's weight(and distribution) isn't the same, and the head design performs differently on the face.

Far as one shaving better than the other goes, yes, one does work better than the other. The thing is, you have to try em both to find that out. In my case, I use one of those types as my daily shaver. The other type I never shave with, and haven't for years. Heh, doesn't matter what my favorite is..... otherwise everyone would be using the same type. It may be hard to believe, but the slim has just as many fans as the fatboy.

Hope this helps a bit somehow,

Martin

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I like my slim a bit better than my Fat Boy (no ooc, Jim!). Fat Boys, especially early ones are made a bit better, but I prefer the shave from a a slim.

Just my $.0000002 Million worth...

5. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

[​IMG]

Best of both worlds.

6. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

The Slim is a versatile, good quality razor, so if you stick with it you'll very likely find a blade/setting combination that works for you. The same can be said of the Fatboy. As Savant says it's just a question of figuring out what works for you. Approach the Slim with the confidence that it will serve you well, and keep your eyes open for a Fatboy at a decent price. You'll find one sooner or later, and it'll be well worth having. You should probably think about a sampler pack of blades from WestCoast or Fendrihan if you don't have one already. It will help with the search.

Best Regards

goshawk

7. Garyg

Garyg Member

Great perspective Martin, I have used both razors at various times since circa 1963. I too have a favorite that gets probably 50% of the duty on my mug, along with the other that gets used roughly in proportion with the other dozens of DE's, SE's, Injectors .. straights on hand.

Look around for a shaver grade in both & test them out on your face .. yep they are different, but as brothers are different.

8. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Fatboy head is taller/fatter and a bit more difficult to maneuver under the nose. Nice balance and heft if that's your thing. Personally I prefer the Slim.

9. highball

highball Member

I think the Fatboy and the Slim are way over-rated, they look cool but dont shave all that great (YMMV).