Moustache Wax

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by fishgutmartyr, Jan 31, 2010.

1. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Tried one of the recipes here.

Basically, using a double boiler, I melted 4 oz of beeswax with about 2 oz of petroleum jelly. Its still cooling, but I tried a little of it--nice honey scent, kind of halfway between Pinaud and the hard stuff I've been using as far as pliability is concerned.

It's still cooling, but I tried some--it applied like a dream, and the 'stache styled in seconds.

The only downside is the 'bars feel just a tad greasy, but that might be because I was testing the wax before it was finished. I might have to cut down a little on the petroleum jelly next time.

But the cost was about $2.50 for about 6 oz of moustache wax, so I'm not complaining. Ok, that's not including the $3.00 for the "I don't care if it gets messed up" flea market double boiler and spatula and the reuseable container.

Jar O' moustache bliss:
    [​IMG]

What glides onto your fingertips:
    [​IMG]

I'll give an update on the stuff tomorrow.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! A fellow 'stache waxer!!

So how'd it go?

Just curious, what were you using before? I've used Pinaud, Oregon Wild Hair, and Wacky Tacky from Firehouse Moustache Wax. I love the scent of the Oregon Wild Hair the best, but I prefer the hold of the Wacky Tacky.

If you go through wax as fast as I do, that jar is going to last you a L-O-N-G time!

3. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I think there's a few of us on the board.

I like it. I've tried Pinaud, e-moustache wax, and Hndlebars. Two were creams, the Hndlebars was a stiff wax. Wanted to try the Oregon, but this was too tempting.

This stuff is kind of in-between the two. It's a hard wax, but you don't feel your finger-nail bending under the pressure like I was with the Hndlebars. Applies really well--just comb it through and I'm pretty much done. Maybe add a little bit more to the ends.

It isn't greasy at all--I guess it seemed that way last night because it hadn't finished cooling, and I was playing with it a little bit while I was melting and mixing.

It doesn't really have much of a scent, except in the jar where it smells like--brace yourself--honey.:happy102 I'm not picking the scent up under my nose, though.

4. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Cool, I may just have to give this a go. A jar that size would almost certainly last me until my stash fell out or I was just too damn senile to care that my stash looked like a squirrel's tail under my nose.

5. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Well, fell asleep on the couch last night (victim of Adult Swim), and this morning the curls held. Could use a touch-up of course, but it looks like this stuff is going to work just fine for me.

Hooray for the interwebs!

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thanks for sharing - I gotta remember that recipe for when my 'stache gets thicker :D

7. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Just an update:

The wax got a little crumbly once it settled. So I remelted and added another ounce of petroleum jelly. We'll see if that does the trick.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Old post, but I had to go back and find it because I finally made some 'stache wax of my own.

Picked up a small bar of beeswax for a buck at a local farmer's market. Figured I give it a go.

I had some empty mustache wax tins, so I cleaned 'em out, chopped up half a bar of the wax, melted it down, added a teaspoon of Vaseline, stirred it up and let it cool. I made it up this morning and used it after my shave. A bit crumbly scraping a small bit onto my fingernail, but once applied, rubbed in, and combed through, it's holding the 'bars pretty darn good.

Attached Files:

alpla444 likes this.
  9. kurtb2080

kurtb2080 New Member

WHOA! Very cool idea! Im impressed! :cool: