Stephan Island Lime Cologne/After Shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by geneaut, Aug 18, 2010.

1. geneaut

geneaut Member

I love me some lime. So when I decided to finally order some new AS splashes from Appleton last week I originally was going to score some Pinauad Lime Sec, but at the last minute I decided to try out the Stephan Island Lime instead.

Well, the big brown toy truck arrived at my house yesterday evening. Nestled inside the box was a large 15oz plastic bottle of pale green liquid. There's nothing fancy about the bottle. Clear plastic with a white plastic snap top for dispensing.

Well, I tried this elixir out last night just as a splash. The scent is a dry citrus lime scent that evokes memories of a lime peel more than the fruit itself. It is not a sweet, candy lime scent. It has a definite presence when you first apply it, but it dries down soon enough as a subtle air about your face. The projection seems low key, but it is not weak if that makes sense.

I used it this morning as an AS splash. You can feel the alcohol that is the main ingredient, but it seriously is no worse than any other alcohol splash. I certainly wan't claim it makes my skin feel better than it did, but it also doesn't seem to dry my skin out or worse. I may add a drop or two of glycerine, and maybe a dash of witch hazel just for my own benefit.

I have 4 'limoney' shave creams, and I must say this splash most reminds me of my Trumpers GFT shave cream ( I used it this morning and the scent was strongly similar ). The Indian Old Spice Lime is right behind it. My other 2 citrus creams are both 'sweeter' in tone than this splash ( JM Fraser's and KMF Key Lime ).

In the interest of science I did make 2 small bottles of lime mixes with this. The first was 50/50 mix of Stephan's Lime and Master Bay Rum. 2 thumbs up. The second mix was a 50/50 of Stephan's Lime and ViJon's Old Spice Clone. 3 thumbs up ( I wasn't good in anatomy ... sue me ).

Count me impressed. This product will be gracing my shave den from now on :)

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about this Appleton's. What is their website address?

3. geneaut

geneaut Member

4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I use Stephan Island Lime also. I use it as an AS and splash. I like it because it has the dry lime scent you described. I'm not big on the sweeter lime scents. They remind me of candy or lollipops. I've been buying the Stephans from Williamsport Barber Supply. Its $3.99 a bottle there. The only drawback is they have a minimum shipping rate of $12.00. So when I make an order, I make sure I order the max for that rate. I think last time I got 5 or 6 bottles for $12.00 shipping. Since I don't mind the alcohol, I like Stephan products. I prefer the Stephan Bay Rum over Masters Bay Rum, but that's just my opinion. How was the shipping rates at Appleton's? It may be worth paying $1.00 more a bottle for a smaller order.

Alan in AZ

5. geneaut

geneaut Member

My shipping was $10 for the whole order ( 5 bottles of various aftershaves )

6. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Thanks, I may give them a try as I'm out of Island Lime.

Alan in AZ

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

With Appletons if your order is $50 or more shipping is only$5. Easy to make a $50 purchase as they have a large shaving section. Other things like barber towels, talc, alum, Omega boars at really nice prices.

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I like the Appleton site & Stephan splashes as well. If you enjoy the fresh scent of the lime try the Lilac as well. Not too sweet or feminine. Just fresh, outdoorsy lilac smell. If you check the bottles they serve multiple purposes. Can be used as an aftershave splash, a body splash or as a bath additive. I don't find them to provide crazy after-the-shave medicine so if you had a rough shave I recommend using something w/ glycerin or W/H. I mainly use Stephans primarily when I'm in the mood for the scent and nothing more. Pretty good splashes at a real good price. Me likey.

9. geneaut

geneaut Member

Shep, my next order from Appleton will include the entire Stephan lineup :) I almost grabbed the Lilac with this last order, but I had ordered the Master Lilac Vegetol already. I'm looking forward to the Bay Rum, Lilac, and the Spicy AS bottles joining my collection.

10. remthewanderer

remthewanderer New Member

is their site down?

11. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I just checked and if it was down before, their site is up now. I agree with Shep in regards to the Stephans Lilac. It's not girly at all, like he says, fresh and outdoorsy. I use it a lot in the summer. I've used pretty much all of Stephan products as AS and splashes. They are one of those products that some folks like and some don't. Growing up, the Barbershop I went to always used Stephans, so I'm sure there's a little of the nostalgia factor for me.

Be glad your not back here Shep, we roasted the last couple of days.

Alan in Arizona

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

So everyone is clear, Stephan Lilac is nothing like Lilac Vegetol. I've not tried Masters Vegetol but have tested the Pinaud version and found it to be quite awful. I know there are many Vegetol haters out there so just know that Stephan lilac is nothing like it. Infinitely better IMO. Just an FYI.

This being my first full summer in CO it does get hotter here than I anticipated. I didn't have an A/C in the house until a few weeks ago, and it got fairly miserable towards the end of July and into Aug. It hits the mid to upper 90's here for several weeks. What we have going for us is lovely, cool (er) evenings. I do not miss the scorching AZ sun at all. Just hold on though...you've only got a few months left: :taunt002 :D

13. geneaut

geneaut Member

I will definitely try the Stephan's Lilac with my next order.

Smelling the Master Lilac Vegetol in the bottle has been pleasant. I'll give it a test run this weekend. Most of the reviews I've read indicate it is more Lilac than cat urine like the Pinaud's is reported to be.