menthol crystals, how to use?

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by newb, Oct 20, 2010.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Ran out of ingrams, so I bought some menthol crystals to add to some products. Aftershave, shave cream and soap. I assume I should dissolve them prior to adding to cream and adding to gently melted glycerin soap. I'm not quite sure what would be the best way to dissolve and how much to add for a real good freeze. So far I've added 3/4 tsp to around 12 oz of masters bay rum, I've liked the results but I'd still like to kick it up another notch. Maybe another 1/4 -1/2 tsp? :freezing Ok, so you menthol addicts it's time to enable and help a brother out. I can use some tips and tricks for using the crystals.

2. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I don't measure I just sprinkle to taste.

3. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I agree, add a bit at a time until it's what you want-kind of like making soup. It can get too cold pretty quickly-just ask battlemunky-his eyes are still watering.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

In a 16oz bottle of witch hazel I added a small pinch and it was plenty cold for me. If I use the crystals on shave cream, I use whatever sticks to my finger when I dip into the bag, which is not a lot.

But then, I am not a true menth head either...I like a little cool, but not eye watering cool.

5. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Isn't crystal menth illegal? :D

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Today's legal white crystalline substance is brought to you by the letter "n". :happy102

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

:happy102

8. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

For a normal sized tub of cream I added a large teaspoon full, and it was frosty, but not overwhelming.

I melted the crystals in a large metal spoon over a lighter before adding to the cream then folding it in with a popsicle stick.

saturnine likes this.
  9. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Some one walks in :eek: "what I'm just melting my menthol crystals ova here"

10. mezz524

mezz524 New Member

I like to use 6grams to 16 oz of liquid.
    Just frosty enough. I desolve in a little
    alcohol before i add them. Just enough to desolve them.

brit likes this.