Having brain surgery on December 9th

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by brainsurgerypatient, Nov 22, 2010.

1. brainsurgerypatient

brainsurgerypatient New Member

Hi everyone I'm a 25 year old female. I'm undergoing brain surgery on December 9th to deal with eplilepsy. I will have to shave my head and now I'm planning to shave it before I check into the hospital. Please anyone give me tips about products etc and my husband is planning to shave his head in support.

2. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

I shaved my head a few times before around 6-7 years ago. I used a gillette mach 3 and gillette shaving gel. That was before I learned about double edge safety razors and all the better stuff out there.
    Using a mach 3 very slowly with the grain of your hair. Then if there is significant amount left you can go again against the grain. Be gentle and you won't cut yourself. There may be other gimmicky items and razors but a 2 or 3 blade razor will do just fine for this occasion and a can of shaving cream. Make sure to use a clipper first to get the bulk of your hair off first. Clippers are mostly safe but you can still scratch yourself, so careful.

This stuff here is designed to use on your head.
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/cata...V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku399902

Welcome and good luck and God bless. Hope you stick around. There are many better razors out there in the world and many many soaps and creams that are much better for shaving and for your skin. But learning about all that while you are trying to shave your head for the first time might not be such a good thing and you have much more to think about at the moment.
    I'll pray for your surgery and forgive me if you are not religious or if I offended you.

C. S. Budzi

3. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

I did the same thing when my wife started her chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. I use a straight (not recommended) but I have heard good things about the Headblade. I would have your barber (or hairdresser) do the first shave and then use the Headblade.

Best wishes for your surgery.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I can't give any advice on shaving your head, but I would like to post to show my support. I hope you have a successful surgery.

5. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

No advice to offer but wanted to wish God's blessings on you and pray you have a successful surgery.

When you feel up to it, please post an update for us.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am also going to say that I hope things go well for you. The advise on the head shaving up there seem to be spot on. Use a electric trimmer to shorten things is all I can add to that.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As do I.

8. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Good luck with your surgery.
    Have your husband use clipper to cut your hair as short as possible.
    Take a long hot shower to soften the remaining hair.
    Use a brand new good quality cartridge razor like the Mach 3 or Fusion and have your Husband shave your head with the grain.
    Shaving against the grain will cause irritation to your head which isn't used to being shaved.
    Your head will toughen up quickly as it gets used to being shaved, but you don't want to tear up your head on the 1st shave.

9. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

The first headshave is always the most annoying. What was said above is good advice--get as much hair off as possible safely before taking a razor to your head.

The hair is still going to be a bit long for shaving, so watch out for the cartridge getting clogged. Don't be shy about changing the blades, if necessary.

I hope everything is a complete success, and this is the last time you have to headshave.

Oh, and make sure you and your hubby have some sort of head gear (hats). Bald can be mighty cold this time of year. I've always been a bit partial to wool greek fisherman caps. (They look cute on young women--my 13 year-old daughter confiscated mine--and are great casual wear for men.)

10. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I have never shaved my head, but I would like to wish you the best on your surgery.

11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Unfortunately I'm not able to help you with the thread subject, but I do want to wish you all the best. Praying the surgeons' hands will be guided and that all will go perfectly. When you're able I hope you'll come back after the procedure and let us know how you're doing.

12. aberneth

aberneth Member

The only advice I can give related to head shaving that has not yet been mentioned is that a scalp massage with some almond oil will help prepare the skin and soften the hair (and will also feel great).

Other than that, I wish you well in your surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Best wishes to a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! :happy088

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    +1 ::poze

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My prayers and best wishes. All advice I can give is in the link in my signature.

16. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

God speed and my prayers with you that success will be achieved.

17. chadstar

chadstar Member

Heres to a speedy recovery.

Best wishes

18. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

I hope all goes well, my best wishes to you and your family.

19. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

I forgot to mention something important in my original post Fishgutmartyr reminded me. I got really badly sunburned the first time I shaved my head. Take Fishgutmartyrs advice go with a cap and if not then use sunscreen. I learned the hard way. That skin up there is not used to sunlight.

Oh and yah Wool Greek Fishermens caps are great. I have my Grandfathers from when he was in the Greek Navy. And yes super cute on girls, a girl was wearing one at the bar last week.

C. S. Budzi

20. paydepst

paydepst Member

I'm an epileptic myself (controlled for 20 years) and although I've never had the surgery you are about to undergo I am familiar with it. I echo the sentiments of my fellows on the board in that I wish you Godspeed on a complete and swift recovery. Take care and post back so that you can let us know how you are doing.