Straight Razor with Disposable blades

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by curious, Jan 25, 2011.

1. curious

curious New Member

I guess straight razors with disposable blades are really called feather straight razors. Are these really worth it? Are they any good.

Amazon has a lot listed starting $9.

I am starting out with straight razor and not able to decide if i should get feather straight razor or straight razor.

Any recommendations?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Shavettes, actually.

Feather is a brand name.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

There are two schools of thought on whether or not to start out using a shavette or just get a full blown straight. It really depends on your commitment to the shaving style. A shavette will get you in the door cheaper, and I have seen opinions that making the transition from shavette to full blown straight is easy, and others say there is an adjustment that needs to be made with your shaving style. Plus, in some ways, it is like starting over because now you have to deal with blade maintenance.

I have not used a shavette, but I am dabbling in straights. If you have the money to spend, and you are not concerned with getting in as cheaply as possible, my opinion is to go with the full blown straight rig.

4. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Do you still have to strop the shavette blades ?

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nope-a-roni.

Some shavettes use a whole or a half of a regular DE blade and others have special long skinny blades, but they are meant to be used and tossed like a DE.... unless you are a regular hand stropper of DE blades and then I guess you could / would continue your routine.

6. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Shavette blades are also known as disposable. I have seen some people strop them in an attempt to make them last longer. On average, I believe people get around 5-7 shaves from a disposable depending on beard type and thickness.

As noted, some enter the straight razor world using the disposables and Feather is a brand. The disposable blades are really sharp, like DE blades and pretty unforgiving. I nick this one scar on my chin EVERY TIME I use one. You need a very light touch with them, but they will definitely work.

The harder part for some is the transition to the real straight razor as you need a 30 degree or less angle for shaving with a straight razor but you can get away with more using a disposable. Our hands have a natural tendency to bend back with a straight razor in them causing the shaving angle to expand to 45-90 degrees which in turn causes scraping and pulling and a general lack of comfort.

Some of the Shavette's or Disposables are pretty inexpensive, so it never hurts to give one a try if you think you're interested.

There are also a lot of good used razors around that don't cost too much either, so the choice remains yours.

Have fun,

Lynn

7. ace

ace New Member

I've been shaving with a Dovo Shavette, using disposable DE blades, for over a month. I think it is a fine way to start because it is inexpensive, and because, since they are unforgiving, they make you improve your technique for the time when you transition to real straight razors. I found a bit of a fear factor when transitioning to straights from the Shavette, but the fear was not justified at all and the transition was a piece of cake.

8. vcincent

vcincent New Member

I started with the feather shavette before moving to a straight and found it to be an easy transition. It only takes a day or two to get used to the heavier blade. I think you'll be fine starting either way. Good luck !!

9. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca New Member

I have done it both ways. A Shavette gives a very close shave, with a tendency to cut easily, but it is cheap and you don't have to learn anything about honing or stropping. A Feather feels a little more like a real straight, the blades cost more, but still cut you more easily than a real straight. Still no honing or stropping. The real straight razor can give just as good a shave but you have to work at the use of it (honing, stropping and shaving - all three), but gives the greatest satisfaction in that you know that YOU did all the work. At the end of it all, you should choose what suits you the best.

Chris