Android stuff

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by sol92258, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I thought, since there's quite a few of us Android fans/fanatics/users, whatever, that instead of spreading bits of info here and there sporadically, that maybe a thread to centralize much of the discussion and news.

Biggest news, as most of you already know, TSD now has Tapatalk support, a great app that makes viewing discussion forums on your portable device a lot easier and more efficient. Instead of loading the full page in your browser, and constant zooming to see what you need to find, logging in, etc., the app just makes it more concise and simple.

2. sol92258

Today's Amazon Free App of the Day is...

Angry Birds Seasons!

Yes, Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons both have a free version already, but the paid version gets rid of those irritating, screen hogging ads in the game!

:happy108

(oh, and Angry Birds Rio is still available for free there, for a limited time...whatever that means :D)

((and unrelated to Android, but related to AB, I believe you can still get AB free in the Intel AppUp Center for desktops/laptops))

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I need to utilize my android more often.

I really only use it for rdp to save me a drive into work when I am out and about.

4. sol92258

what utility do you use for that? I've tried a few and haven't had much success, with the exception of team viewer, but the free version is only a license for one computer

5. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

How do you get to the Amazon app store?

6. sol92258

go to Amazon.com, look for appstore for android. You need an Amazon account (you probably already have one), you'll need to put your phone number in so it knows where to send the app, and there's an Amazon appstore app to download on your phone for browsing apps and updating the ones you have

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

Over on the right hand side there's a "Get Started" area, it'll walk you through the process

7. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Thanks alot--getting it right now

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Tried installing the Amazon appstore and it is not getting along with my phone.

I will have to try when I have some time after work.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Now that we have the whole mobile access thing; Am I the only one who finds those added sigs obnoxious? It's an advertisement pretty much.

Thank you to those who have turned it off.

I've had to uninstall and re-install it once. Not too impressed so far.

10. sol92258

They are a bit obnoxious, and a pesky advertisement gimmick, kinda like when the roof people, whom you paid to replace your roof, put a sign in your yard for free advertising of their services and an example of the quality of their work...of course, you get no benefit of the use of your yard for their advertising, no discount, nothing.
    Just a obnoxious jackass leaving their sign in your yard that you've gotta go out and pull up yourself and throw away....

Tapatalk'd from my toaster, since the oven was busy, the fridge was on the phone, and the can opener isn't plugged in...

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I had planned on turning mine off once the word got out that this was available. I don't like it either, but I figured it would help spread the word. It is now turned off.

12. sol92258

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, leave it on for just a bit so the news would kinda get spread out all over the forums...but then I realized I only have time for 3-4 threads, unfortunately

Sent using Tapatalk for Overhead Projectors

13. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

Personally..I cant see myself spending money on apps..I know the developers make their money that way..but I dont plan on keeping my iphone much longer..eventually ill move to android..but I like the fact there are free apps as well

ST

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It's fake word of mouth, like the roofing company yard signs. Because it looks like the person put it there. They don't identify it as an automatic message. At least the yard signs are obvious advertisements.

I don't like deceitful advertising. It speaks poorly of a company's attitude towards their customers.

:happy097 :happy097

15. sol92258

16. sol92258

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

meh...

haven't been to excited in the last several free apps.

18. sol92258

I imagine it's going to be a lot like all the other "free app/software a day" sites, most of it will be meh to most people (those some will find it great), and sometimes there's a real gem.

I haven't played Fruit Ninja (yet), but I've seen just about nothing but great reviews and positive things about it, kinda like Angry Birds.

I was one resistant to Angry Birds at first, too....stupid addicting games :happy102

19. sol92258

WeatherBug Elite is today's Amazon FAotD

Now, I don't have exactly a fuzzy-happy feeling about weatherbug...in fact, from mine and Micah's old place of employment, I absolutely hated it, HATED IT! Not because it was necessarily "bad", but because of all the false-positives in the antivirus software, and it's system-crashing performance to the staff that used it, and then complained about it....uggh.

However, I've talked to several people here at work who like it and say it's pretty good on their android phone, and also the fact that we actually have a weatherbug system at our Jr High campus, I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot.

I don't see it replacing my AccuWeather app, but who knows.

20. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well.. I don't know about the app itself, but I like the widgets.