Parker SR1 "Shavette" type... Useless?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by NoahG, Apr 17, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

I've tried shaving with this thing 3 or 4 times so far, and it always ends up looking like I lost a fight with a cat. It feels rough, it feels scratchy and I'm wondering if I should give up on it and eventually try a real straight. Anyone here ever had any success with one of these?

2. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

The Shavette itself just holds the blade in its place..perhaps less of a blade gap compared to others?...have you tried other blades?
    Guaranteed you will be happier with a real straight..as long as it is honed and stropped properly..as well as taken proper care of

B

3. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I started straights with the Parker-yep I shed some blood learning, but ended up liking it. I still use it once in a while. It's clearly sharper than my real ones, but I do prefer the real thing. No pressure and proper angle the keys to controlling this. Going around the curves of the jawline is most challenging. There's lots of videos on You-Tube. It helped me to just watch other people who know what they're doing shave.

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

Maybe I'll shelve it for a bit and try it with something other than the Sharks it came with. All the videos make it look so easy.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I love my straights, I have a bunch of them too. Want to trade a straight for your shavette? I have been wanting to try a shavette for awhile.

6. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I have the same shavette and the Sharks also, they tear me up. I break a Derby in half and the shave is excellent. I think the bevel on the Sharks is too long and it makes it want to grab instead of cut.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

PM sent!!!

8. NoahG

NoahG Member

That, kind sir, sounds mighty tempting

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

I use a Parker SR1 in my rotation on " Shavette Sunday". It is by far my favorite, as shavettes go. I find it to be a well balanced shavette and To me it seems more similar to a straight in feel than a dovo shavette. I enjoy shark blades in it, but until you get the hang of it you may wish to try an already used d/e blade broke in half. (ie. shave with your favorite blade 2 days in a d/e, then on the third day brake it in half and try it in the shavette) If you tame the blade a little, you may have a better experience. Just a thought.

10. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

That's a great idea and great advice.

11. NoahG

NoahG Member

I might have to try this once I get up enough courage to face it again :scared001

12. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice!

I have been looking for a straight razor shave experience without the complication and expense of stropping and honing. The shavette seemed like one way to achieve that.

I have been following this thread, along with other research, and decided to order the Parker SR1. I will definitely put a slightly used blade in for the first shave.

Any other tips or tricks about first time shaving with these is much appreciated.

BTW: How do you break the DE blade in half?

Richard Jackson likes this.
  13. NoahG

NoahG Member

I've just ended up getting a couple of real str8s and haven't gotten back to the Parker. Once I get the real ones down, I might try the Parker again...or it just might end up in the grab bag.

14. newb

newb Resident Newb

Place the blade back into it's wrapper, and fold it over. Other tips: take your time, watch your angle, no pressure and do not force the blade. Easy Peasy.

15. EnglishChannel

My Parker SR1 should be here soon. I hope before the weekend.

ok. Will do. Thanks!
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

16. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

I use a personna magic (yeah I wish) shavette with Wilkinson blades and it is a little tricky to get used to especially when going ATG but I like it, I keep telling myself that it's like my practice lightsaber and when I become a jedi I'll be able to get a real one (real one meaning an actual straight razor) :happy102 Oh and the instructions that came with my Shavette say that you can cut a DE razor in half with scissors...I have tried this and it works well just make sure when you cut the blade to leave it in the wax paper wrapping while you cut.

17. EnglishChannel

Got the SR1 today - its great!

I gave myself a touchup shave after work. Works nice.

I remained very cautious and stayed WTG for the entire shave.

No nicks or cuts. I like it.

I want to thank all of you for the great advice.
    I took a scissors and cut a used (4 shaves) Wilkinson Sword blade in half. I didn't have the original paper, so I wrapped a paper card over the blade to hold it.

Before & after cutting the blade, Ihand stropped the blade with shave oil. I am looking forward to the next shave!

18. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I love my Dovo, IMO I never really got the point of getting a replaceable straight razor except for haircuts, for edging up. I bought my safety razor for replaceable blades, but thats just me :D Best of luck!

19. EnglishChannel

UPDATE: I have completed 2 more shaves

ww

Richard Jackson likes this.
  20. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

The right blade can make a huge difference. I've been using this Okuma with great results. It's cheap and nondescript but with a KAI Captain Mild, it works swimmingly. I have very sensitive skin and the Mild blades are the only thing that consistently work for me. Regardless of your skin type, try different blades and see what works best for you.

In this photo, it's loaded with a Israeli Super+ that I cut in half with scissors.

Attached Files:

lindyhopper66 likes this.