DE razor for sensitive skin?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Titus13, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Titus13

Titus13 New Member

Hello I have sensitiveskin what is the best de razor and blade for sensitive skin?

2. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

You'll find good prep before the shave goes way farther in reducing irritation during a shave then a razor. This means making the beard as soft as possible before throwing the razor on there.

However Gillette Blue Tips and Techs as well as Edwin Jagger razors are known for there mild shaving.

Generally if you have very sensitive skin you want a mild razor which means the blade gap is smaller.

3. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

If you have sensitive skin be careful not to go over three or four passes. Using very light blade pressure. If I were going to suggest some razors I guess it would be a Aristocrat, or a 1904 Merkur. You will be well pleased with a shave grade Aristocrat.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

One man's blade that is trash is another man's treasure, you have to find the right blade for you. The same blade that is terrible in one razor may be excellent in another. Techs and Kronas are 2 low cost razors to try and are quite mild by the way.

5. jcwit

jcwit Member

On the lower end of the expense scale the LORD L6 3 piece is a mild razor, might be worth looking at.

6. jtb

jtb New Member

:sihns011

It's all about the prep!

7. theshaver

theshaver Member

I have really sensitive skin as well. I first got into wet shaving because of my skin. I have used several razors now trying to find the one I liked the most. I would say in general adjustable razors would be kind of best for us with sensitive skin, you can dial in exactly how you like your shave. I have a Gillette SS and I have it set at 3 out of 9. It gives me a great almost bbs shave, with out the heart ache. Prep is also a major factor too. I do a preshave was by nivea on the shower before, then get a nice thick lather before i let the blade touch my face. The only blade I use is a feather, I found it is the best because I use the minimal amount of passes with it and get the results I desire.

Good luck

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

I agree totally. An adjustable allows you to adjust it your way. I really would suggest a Merkur vision. It is not very choosy when it comes to proper angle and it can be dialed down in terms of aggressiveness. Both should most likely help with your sensitive skin. Or you could try a tech or similar non aggressive d/e. The problem I see with a tech is the need for more passes which is not great for sensitive skin.

9. napoleon

napoleon Member

For my though beard and sensitive skin, I find Feather DE+feather blades work the best!

10. theshaver

theshaver Member

I found this to be the case as well.

11. napoleon

napoleon Member

Also, maybe offtopic, but you could try a SE razor? They can be bought for cheap off the bay.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just my opinion, but I think an SE on sensitive skin would be a bit too much.

To Titus - have you read this about what razor to get? Some great knowledge and advice from Bill.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Krona. Blue Tip. Pretty much any Tech.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Seconded. Ditto injectors.

15. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

Im having really good results with an Edwin Jagger DE. I think it also depends on technique, pressure and prep.

16. Picky

Picky New Member

Wilkinson sword classic, it is black, plastic and comes with 5 blades.This thing is unbelievably easy on any skin.Plus it is so cheap.I made some gifts to cartridge razor owners that complained about irrirations and blood bath and they feel like in heaven.

17. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

As a teen

I had sensitive skin in the way most teenagers do. One wrong move and I would develope a rash, start to break out and generally end up fighting to get things under control for the next week or so. When I started shaving, it just got worse. I started with an injector (Shick I think) just like my Dad used. This did not go well at all.

During all this, I was a "bagboy" at a local grocery store. When the 1st black handled super speeds hit our display I bought one. It just look good to me. That black SS gave me great shaves and a calm face through my teen years.

If you have sensitive skin or are a teen just starting out, I can recommend the Black handle super speed without any reservations. But you can't have mine!:D
    Yea, I've still got my orginal black SS but that a different story.:D

Attached Files:

18. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I like the black handle SS so much that I bought two of them for my sons to use when they get old enough to shave. It gives a good shave without being hard on the skin.
    I could live just fine with a black handled SS as my only razor.

19. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

This is really a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) issue. What works for me, may not work for you and vice versa. No matter the razor/blade combination, here comes the rhetoric:

Preparation, Preparation, Preparation...
    Technique, Technique, Technique...
    Reduction, Reduction, Reduction...
    Let the razor do the work...
    No Pressure...
    Take your time...

And of course as always: Enjoy Your Shave...

20. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

I concur, I have one. Very nice shaver. However, there is also the Feather "Popular" that I bought from Amazon.com for about 19.99. I tried it the other night with an Israeli Persona and what a beautiful shave. It is very mild. As another I "field tested", the BIC is on the aggressive side, this one is actually on the milder side. For 20 bucks, a meal for 4 at McDonald's, you can give it a try. It is a TTO type that has the turn know right under the head, like the Gillette "Knack" razors.

Other option is the Gillette Slim Adjustables. These are not bad for price.. just watch, and they can do very well, especially at the lower 1 to 3 setting for sensitive skin. I bought one the other day for $8.00 at an antique store, and it is a great shaver. Made in 1962, year of my wife's birth.

Also, do some research for blades. Some blades, like the Feather are the sharpest of the bunch, and as such, can be somewhat a challenge for newbie shavers. Some are more face friendly. There is a review, here, that will give you some insight to blade attributes. http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58