Astra Platinum & 7 O'Clock the same blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ekengle, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ekengle

ekengle New Member

I've pretty much settled on the Astra Platinums as my blade of choice but I still had a few others in my sample pack to try out. I tried a 7 O'Clock Platinum (blue box) in my Muhle R89 to see how it was. It shaved very well, smooth with no irritation just like my Astras. I remembered these are made in Russia as well so I compared the boxes and they have the same address.

Are these run on the same assembly line and is there any reason the 7 O'Clocks are twice as much as the Astras? (Besides marketing.) They look & shave the same to me.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It looks like the Astras are made in a different location. I haven't tried the 7 O'C Blue, so I can't compare them with the Astra.

3. ekengle

ekengle New Member

On the back side of the Astra box it says:
    Made by ZAO Petersburg Products Int.
    Pulkovskoye Shosse 54
    St Petersburg, 196140 Russia
    On the side of the Astra box it says:
    Distributor: Procter & Gamble Czech Republic

On the side of the 7 O'Clocks it says:
    Made by Petersburg Products Int.
    Pulkovskoye Shosse 54
    St Petersburg, 196140 Russia under license from The Gillette Company, Boston, MA
    On the back it says:
    Correspondence: Gillette Middle East
    PO Box 1996, Dubai, UAE

It's not a huge deal to me, they both shave the same. I was just wondering why the 7 O'Clocks were twice as much and if there is any real justification for it.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well in that case, it is always possible. I could have sworn that when I picked up an astra box to check last night it was a different factory. Oh wait... I bet I flipped over a Rapira or Voskhod instead. Nevermind... So many Russian blades... so little opportunity to shave

5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

It is highly possible and it is also possible the Gillette has a little extra prep per Gillette's specs. Happens in industry all the time. The Gillette brand would bring a higher premium than the Astra.

That being said, I get a smoother shave with the 7 O'Clock Blue than I do the Astra. I've heard good things about the 7 O'Clock Green blades and I will try them next. I do not like the 7 O'Clock Yellow blades.

6. They are definitely made ​​in the same establishment, though in different parts. I tried the 7 o'clock yellow, I do not know how to be the blue. The yellow is really good, like the astra ...

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

There's a few blades being made in that plant, I liken the shave with the Dark Blue's with the Astra's as well. However I found the Dark Blue's to be of a higher quality, they seem to hold the edge better and I do indeed get smoother shaves out of them.

Its up to you to decide if the price is worth it or not.

8. ekengle

ekengle New Member

I've got 3 shaves so far on the Astra and it still shaves fine. I only shave a couple times a week so it'll take me a while to see how they all do. I did take out the Astra twice to try different blades. I tried a Voskhod that did well and the 7 O'Clock Blue. I've got so many blades I'm trying out and it takes me so long between shaves that I started a "shave log" just to keep track of how they all do. I might have to post it here just for fun.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm not familiar with 7 OC blue. I know the yellows are great for me and I've tried one of the green variety that was almost as good for me. I haven't tried the black version. None of the 7 OC blades I've tried shave exactly like an Astra, but if they're making a blue version now, it's possible.

10. ekengle

ekengle New Member

The Blue version is the "Platinum" version. I've got the Yellow and Green ones as well but haven't tried them yet. Since I only shave twice a week it takes a while to go through blades to see how they work for me. I really need a second face and a third hand. They would come in handy but I'm sure SWMBO would be upset at the mass deformities.

I've got my shave log updated & will put it up shortly. Maybe it will help someone or just be fun to check out.

11. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I don't believe I've tried the Astras yet. I've tried the Blues and the Yellows. The Yellows are in my top 2 blades that I stock for myself. The Blues are good for a few shaves, then for me go downhill, unlike the Yellows whichgive me a full week+ of great shaves (7+ shaves).

OK, I checked. The Astras haven't been tested yet, but I'm up for a new blade in the AM. I just put an Astra in the Slim adj.. I'll test it at setting 9 in the AM. Or I'll stick to my test regimen and put it in the Tech, I haven't decided yet, but for now it's in the Slim.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The used to call the black package version "Platinum". I wonder if they just changed the packaging.

13. Sodapopjones

The blacks are made in India, and they're still called " Super Platinum".

14. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I did the test this AM of the Astra. I don't think it's the same blade, but it's like the Blues after 3 days. I'll continue the test, it's in my Tech for tomorrow, and I'll see it through even though I really don't care for the blade. At least they aren't the disaster that the Dorcos were.

15. Sodapopjones