New Member Shaves Dry

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by grandpa shaver, Sep 25, 2011.

1. grandpa shaver

grandpa shaver New Member

I am 81 years old today. Been shaving with about every instrument or technique. I just wanted to describe what I found works for my old loose skin. I had problems with nicks and scrapes as I got older when wet shaving with traditional soaps and creams. Somewhere on utube I saw a post of a method that used only shaving oil to shave. I tried it and it was even worse than wet shaving. I kept trying things and eventually came up with my own version that works for me. I use Vaseline ointment instead of oil and rub just a bit of it into washed and dry skin. Then I use just a little bit ot traditional brushless shave cream (the greasy kind). Then I can shave all passes with no more added. Rinsing the razor is the biggest problem. I use the hottest water and rinse well between passes. Then use a washcloth and hot water to get the small residue off my face. NO nicks or scrapes--and I use a Feather blade in a fatboy set to 1 for all passes and then reset to 6 for final polishing. I hope this doesn't offend traditional shavers too much. LIke I said it works for me.

Howard, Alebrewer, scott wein and 3 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den!

Don't worry about offending us around here. We all take a slightly different approach based on our skin types, beard types and personal likes to come up with the best method of shaving for each one of us. You found what works best for you based on the changes you are going through.

I hope you stick around and enjoy the site!

3. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

It works for you, so who am I to question it ? It is very different and that's what makes it interesting.

4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Happy day of birth!

Glad you found what works for you. If I tried that though, especially during the summer, then I could solely be the cause of the worst wildfire ever!

5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I just hope I live long enough to have your problem. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! First -welcome to the Den. Happy Birthday
    Praying you have a great day and a blessed year ahead.
    There's a saying we have around here; It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

battle.munky, m0j0j0eman and alpla444 like this.
  7. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. Enjoy the stay. I must say I do not enjoy dry shaving but hey that is out of my hands it is up to my face to decide :).

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

We're glad to have you! Thanks for sharing your experience. At your age I'm sure you definitely have a lot of it, and it's to all our benefit for you to share whenever you will.

Happy Birthday, sir, and welcome to The Shave Den!

9. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

I missed that! (obviously!)

Happy Birthday!

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Happy Birthday!

Nothing wrong with doing what works for you. If it's a problem you solved, chances are posting a solution here will help out several others.

11. grandpa shaver

Thanks gentlemen. I've been too busy today to hang around long. Get back to the forums as soon as I can.

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: Steve hit the nail on the head. it's not about our shave, it's what works for you.

There is no right or wrong way to shave around here, we are all just here to discuss shaving, and have a good time. If somebody asks for advice, we are always more than willing to help if we can, but we never chastise someone for how they choose to shave.

13. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday!

Don't worry about offending anyone, welcome to the Den.

alpla444 likes this.
  14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Happy Birthday, and welcome to the den.

As Steve has said its your shave. and if aint aint broke dont fix it

If there was only one way to shave we wouldn't need places like the shave den:)

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Happy Birthday, and welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

16. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den, Sir. And a hearty Happy Birthday to you. I look forward to your future posts and input. This is one of the most hospitable forums on the web. Happy to have ya here.

17. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Welcome again!

Personally, if I tried to shave dry I'd end up looking like I tried to dive head first into a sidewalk, and probably have to change blades every day. I will admit I shaved dry when I first started shaving at 14 though. It's good you've found what works for you.

I'm getting good shaves now but I still have a lot of experimenting to do.

18. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I say, whatever works for you...........
    You never really know what works until you try it. I'm glad you found what works for you.

19. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

happy birthday. welcome to the forum. i've shaved with just olive oil in the past but much prefer to use a nice soap. glad you found what works for you

20. grandpa shaver

Well, for Nick and Frank, I just want to say my skin gets a film of Vaseline to protect it more than oil or dry shaving. The brushless cream is to make the whole thing slick. Nobody uses Vaseline any more. I bet my jar is 20 years old. Don't recall why I got it any more. But it is really cheap compared to good shave soaps and creams. I use hypoallergenic brushless (Alba or Neutrogena) so I don't need to be as careful rinsing as otherwise.