New Member Shaves Dry

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by grandpa shaver, Sep 25, 2011.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:greet002:

While unconventional, I don't think that you are offending any of us around here. So don't sweat it and do what works to get you the best shave you can get. I may try different stuff that people bring up but ultimately I do what I want to and it sounds like you are doing the same. More power to you Sir, and I hope your day is as good as it can be.

:poze:

2. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Welcome and happy birthday. I look forward to learning from .

3. Joe

Joe Member

That's great to hear. You found what works for you....I'm a newbie and still searching.....

4. Smooth

Smooth Member

Thanks for posting a different technique, it never crossed my mind to use vaseline as a shave cream. I have heard of people using hand cream like coco butter.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Some people have used Noxzema Skin Cleansing Cream as a shaving cream.

[​IMG]

The Vaseline, Noxzema and other heavy cream or thick gel items work in the same way as the brushless creams such as Barbasol, Burma-Shave, etc. It provides cushion and slickness without lather.

Some shavers, perish the thought, prefer latherless creams.

If it works, use it!

6. Joe

Joe Member

I absolutely love Noxzema! Never used it as shave cream, might be worth a try, but for many years, till now, been using Noxzema brand shaving cream in a can, and use the above cream as after shave all over my face. Feels so refreshing after a shave and shower!

7. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I use the Noxzema as a part of my pre-shave prep sometimes. Used it this morning in fact and noticed a much better shave than my last shave, even using the same equipment otherwise.

8. Howard

Howard Active Member

Thank you! I'm definitely going to try this as this is a whole new direction for me. Vaseline now comes in a creamy formula in a tube in addition to the traditional jar. I've both and will try and report on results. Never tried the brushless creams but will check out CVS and Walgreens to see if they have any. If this method is what you've come to after over 60 years of shaving, I'm definitely in!

9. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Welcome! Like Burger King, "Have it your way!"

10. Howard

Howard Active Member

I wouldn't argue with anyone who's gotten to 81 and has a whole lot of experience I've yet to get! Happy Birthday and many more!

11. Howard

Howard Active Member

I used something once which did the same thing i.e. held the hairs more rigidly than soap so the razor could grab them better but I can't remember what it was. It's an avenue worth pursuing.