First BBS, now I have a problem

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Cryptosolo, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Cryptosolo

Cryptosolo New Member

So 3 days ago I achieved my first BBS shave with an Astra blade I received from Stingraysrock. It was amazing, no irritation, no weepers. I was faceturbating the rest of the day when I woke up it was still smooth. Now here is my problem, no one told me that this BBS thing would last 2 days, now it's the 3rd day and there is about the growth I would have after 1 day with the other blades I had used. Im really starting to enjoy shaving and having to wait 3 days inbetween shaves is not cool.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So here's what you do.
    Do not break your daily shaving routine. Take the blade out of the razor, lather up, then "shave" as you normally would.
    Problem solved!

Yes, I've seriously considered doing this just to shave more (I can and do shave everyday WITH a blade in the razor).
    No, I haven't done it... yet :biggrin:

J.S. Desmarais likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Well good for you! (I think?)

Steve's idea is just grand, you should try it.

One thing that I have done in the past (well, before getting my R-41) is only taking three passes. Three passes leaves me presentable enough for the boardroom, but leaves stubble to shave the next day.

Now, with the R-41, I am grabbing BBS after 3 passes and the shaves are so incredibly close, I can skip a day. I have thought about dropping a pass and grabbing 2 passes with the R-41 so I can leave some stubble for the next day, but I am so into my shaves that I can't seem to stop at two passes!

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

You could pull two-a-days too. Nothing wrong with that. I've done it and it could be argued that there was nothing to shave the second time. As long as it ain't hurting you, go to it.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

How many passes did you use to get to this? I may have a follow-up based on your answer.

6. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Why remove the blade? Practice makes perfect. I have found over the past 2 years that there are certain times that my beard grew faster or thicker than other times. Didn't matter, cause I lathered and shaved regardless of how present the stubble was. Just my opinion.

7. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Keep shaving anyway. It just looks like there aren't any whiskers there, but they're there. They're always there.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Can't do it. Not me, anyway. I'd get burned.
    Now if I was to only do a single pass in the morning, then, yes, I could shave again that evening.
    But I'm one who shoots for BBS every time. Do I always get it? Course not. Does it bother me? Nope. I just wait for the next shave.

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great achievement. Still shave everyday though.

10. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

heh. I wish that I had your problem. I can get bbs or near bbs, but I can't do that to my face 2 days in a row. A bbs requires 4 passes (the final 2 are both atg with a feather or similarly ubersharp blade) plus heavy touch up for me. I don't have especially sensative skin, but 4.5 passes isn't something I can do on consecutive days.

11. The Soph Gent

The Soph Gent Member

I am fairly new to 'old school' and had a similar experience. I went to a Muhle R89 and a Derby blade and got my first BBS yesterday after 2 passes and touch ups. This morning, it's still very very smooth. I might not shave today...I need my fix :scared011:.

But like others said, shave anyway.

"faceturbating "... gotta love it.

alpla444 likes this.
  12. CSG

CSG Member

When I get a good shave I can skip a day even two. Frustrating when what you want to do is shave twice a day. ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Steve Faragher

Steve Faragher New Member

Shave everyday whether you feel you need it or nor

shaving everyday improves your technique no end and conditions the skin

14. RandDT

RandDT New Member

"faceturbating". I like that word. I didn't realize that was what I have been doing, but it's a pretty good description. I'll find myself driving down the road rubbing my face and smiling. Thanks!

15. RandDT

RandDT New Member

Is an R-41 a type of razor or a type of blade?

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Muhle R-41 is a razor. Quite possibly the last razor that I will ever need.

IAmTheJody and battle.munky like this.
  17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ditto. I have used my EJ 89l the last two days and while extremely nice, it hasn't been near the shave as I've had with my R-41.

Get your technique down and then try one, it is good stuff.

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

@RandDT; Boy did you ask a hot question...The R41 is the most polarizing new razor in 65 years....Although at first people were lining up on love-it or hate it sides...now the love side is so well populated as to make the hate it side not really noticable...it just means that YMMV does apply to all razors...But if you have your technique down the R41 seems to be a must try. Cause if you click with it, you can kiss RAD good-bye....and if you don't try it, you deny yourself the possibility of one of lifes great joys....True love in finding your soul-razor....

I'd shave everyday, but use a negative touch on the second day and maybe only do 2 passes, or three for fun and practice 'buffing' and 'slides'....but thats me....as long as we're just talking BBS' and not razor burn....Why? For the same reason, when I have a great rear wheel drive sports car, even when I have nowhere to go...I'd still take it out on a country road and throw it through some curves and practice dealing with over-steer, by dropping down a gear or two and hitting the accelerator and power torque through the curve and slingshot into the straights....Same thing...even if there are no whiskers to chop, I still want to get the best lather I can and throw my razor through its 'buffing' and 'gillette slides' and hooks with confidence boardering on reckless abandon....:shocked003:

Dan72w and GDCarrington like this.
  19. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

That "soul razor" talk just hit my RAD button. Thanks alot!

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy097:

DLreno likes this.