Blade sample packs

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Gelf Lover, Jul 19, 2009.

1. jbraman

jbraman Member

Thanks! I'm going to order some tomorrow. This will answer your question in the other newbie thread I posted.

swarden43 likes this.
  2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Another great thing about these are that many vendors are willing to work with you to adjust the samplers. Mix and Match to get blades you havn't tried yet. :)

3. m_conley

m_conley Member

I never thought of that. That's good to know. I wonder if TSD would be willing to alter their pack a little for me. I don't need to try Crystals as I still have 80 of them.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

PM JoAnna and see. Won't hurt to ask.

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Not too sure, Just have to ask and find out. That is what I did. I think I talked to three vendors and all of them were willing to work with me. However some blades are more expensive and such than others. And some vendors don't offer samples of some blades :).

Good luck hunting.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The only blades I could substitute for the Crystals are Blue Birds, I think. The sample pack contains every blade I sell in the store, that aren't NOS.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That is not a bad deal at all. In fact, 33 blades of 11 different kinds for $9.30 is a very good deal indeed.

When buying a candy sampler, you get a box of candy with eight or ten different kinds of candy, not eight or ten complete boxes of candy. Most blade "sampler packs" are not really samplers at all, but simply a bunch of different blade packs sold as a bundle. You can do the same thing yourself from any vendor(s) selling multiple blade types. In contrast, what The Shave Den store is selling is a true sampler - a reduced number of each of many blade types at a correspondingly reduced price. The only places I know of that do this are here and Shoebox Shaveshop.

For those yet to acquire their wetshaving gear, buying a TSD blade sampler, a Van Der Hagen Luxury Shave Kit, a few of the The Shave Den soap samples, and some of their aftershave samples would be a great start. It will provide a good brush and mug, lots of blade options to explore, great quality soaps in different scents to try out, and also different aftershave scents. It is enough to keep you plenty occupied and interested while exploring traditional wetshaving. All that needs to be added is a quality razor, if you don't already have one. If your funds are limited, then maybe try just one or two soap and aftershave samplers, and a Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Set instead. If you have some extra spare change, the Shoebox Shaveshop Treet Fun Pak 6 x 3 or King Tut Pak 7 x 3 complement The Shave Den sampler nicely, and give you even more blade brands to try.

Anyone escaping the multiblade cartridge and goo-in-a-can purgatory can get a very solid start for $80 or less, sometimes much less. For a lifetime of pleasurable shaves, it is money well spent.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. m_conley

m_conley Member

After the holiday break I'll place my TSD order. Sample blades and sample creams. If at that time you have other samples to trade for the Crystals, I'll ask you to do so. If not, I'll ask you to just go ahead and keep your crystals for the next packs you make up. Heck, if I find a new blade I like while I still have crystals, I may donate some for others to try.

9. GoalSAH

GoalSAH New Member

Ah, I already bought quite a few non-sampler blades! I might just backtrack and buy a sampler, too.

10. Texastorso

Texastorso Guest

Man my head is spinning. Just decided to jump into de shaving and bout to order stuff. Had no clue about the wide number of blades. Sounds like sampler pack is way to go to start off. Now to choose preshave, soap, aftershave, etc.....

11. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Ya it's 1, 2, 10, 20, brushes razors soaps it never ends. Hope the bug doesn't bite too hard;)

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Another vendor that sells sample packs is www.razorsdirect.com. Not the cheapest, but they do not charge for shipping, in the US, so it is good when you want to place a small order.

13. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Added Italian Barber

14. FrankNJ62

FrankNJ62 Member

As a newbie I only completed 1 shave. Should I stick with one blade for a couple of shaves or change to another blade from the sampler each time in order to try out different blades?

15. Agent406

Agent406 New Member

I am a newbie too and I plan on just taking notes on each blade. I started with a Derby and have had great luck. I can't believe I didn't start DE shaving sooner. My skin even looks healthier.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If the blade seems comfortable to you stay with it for a few shaves. Once it starts to tug or pull or just feel uncomfortable you'll want to put a new blade in the razor.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011:
    However, since you're new, when you do try a new blade for the first time and it doesn't seem to work, DO NOT toss out all of those blades; put 'em back on the shelf and come back to 'em in a few months after you've worked on perfecting your technique. That goes for blades, razors, soaps, creams, etc. Lots of folks have come across a product that "doesn't work" for them, then came back to it later and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Happens a lot!