How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Just finished the last of my Ethhiopia Illubar coffee that I received from swarden43.
    He had roasted it for me, I used my Magic Bullet to grind it up.
    Good to the last drop.
    Now it is time to order some more!

swarden43 likes this.
  2. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

well I think I am the only one who uses a modern 12 cup coffee maker....I bought the one from tim hortons that is made by bunn....It keeps a hot tank of water ready all the time so i just hit the button and have 12 cups in two minutes....I'm sure there will be some fuss over this lol but I have never been big into coffee culture

wyatt46 likes this.
  3. Grande

Grande Member

Expobar Pulser - Rancilio Rocky grinder - custom blend from local roaster (Mocha Joe's of Vermont, always fresh).

If I didn't have this, I'd use a Chemex

4. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

No fuss, a lot of people here use modern machines.
    I use a Black and Decker electric drip...$39.99 @ Walmart.
    You got to use what works for you!

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. I use a Krups drip machine.

6. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Ibrik and hand grinder is my choice. It reminds me straight shaving in some way - you have to do everything by yourself and the only reason of the fault is you. WIDE range of recipes and you can experiment with even a single blend with very different results. Love simple things that works.

Hanzo likes this.
  7. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

I use a cheap Mr. Coffee blade grinder and a Bunn coffee maker.

8. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

I found it amazing of how different our tastes are! A whole horde of machines, blends, grinders, recipes and preferations! It's an enjoyment to add a bit of coffee fun to the life! :eatdrink013:

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

At home I use a cezve and make Turkish coffee. In the field it's instant Starbucks individual packs, and in garrison it's Tim Hortons. Home is by far the best though my wife doesn't like it much and uses the regular coffee pot and some Folgers.

Asd likes this.
  10. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

As I think you're the second guy here who prefers to brew coffee 'by hand' - in cezve (ibrik) :eatdrink047: . I found this way to be the best for me. Don't like instant coffee, a strong tea works better for me. You have no choice in the field, though :)

11. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Depends on the day and my timetable. Krups drip with come filters for the morning crowd around here. In the afternoon or evening I either use my Bodum French Press or Kuerig. I buy mostly commercial ground coffees. I have a Mr Coffee Grinder, but use it mostly for grinding spices and herbs.

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Picked up a Bodum Brazilian French press (a bit confusing....is it Brazilian or French?). I got tired of the slag they have a work. Went with a store ground Organic Peruvian from Baltimore Coffee Co. Good stuff for taking the lazy way out. Much better than the turpentine swill oozing out of the pot at work. It's free, but so is urine.....

ObiDon likes this.
  13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Lately I have been very pleased with Alde's Beaumont Donut Blend, and Alde's German Blend (in a vacuum brick). I used to grind my own, but have not done so for a while, especially since these pre-ground coffees are such high quality at a value price.

14. Adama

Adama Member

I use a Mr. Coffee grinder and a stove top percolator. I love my percolator. It takes a little longer than a drip machine but it's worth it.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Funny. As a result of this thread I started using a stove top perc and bought a Mr. Coffee Grinder as a replacement for a another grinder, around XMAS. I also went back to using coffee and chicory ,the way I drank coffee like 25 years ago. Could not be happier with my new set-up ,the perc coffee is as I remember it, strong and rich.

16. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I do my coffee in all fashions.. Ibrik/Cezve/Turkish, French Press, Pump Espresso Machine, Moka, Filtercone, and aeropress. I had a burr grinder but it was of bad quality so I traded it out for a hario hand grinder. So much more consistent, but a PITA 3-4 times a day.

I enjoy many kinds of beans. I haven't noticed a taste difference in non drip/press prep methods so I keep all sorts on hand. I like local stuff for my thermos in the morning.

I like these combos in particular:

Cigar/Press
    Pipe/Moka/Espresso
    Hookah/Cappuccino/Filtercone

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Java

Java Member

Lately we've been hooked on 8 o'clock Italian Roast. At home I use a Hamilton Beach BrewStation, which rocks, except for the fact that you have to scootch it out to the edge of the counter to get a travel mug under it. At work we have Costco 40 cup percolator thing. It's going to work out fine, but we're still climbing the learning curve on it. Last summer I was on loan for a month to a location that had a big Bunn commercial job. 3 pot warmers, and it was plumbed straight into the wall. Just add grounds and hit the button, and in 3 or 4 minutes you had coffee. I swear I wanted to take that thing home to meet my parents.............

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

I've been choking down instant coffee for years, just bought myself a filter press and I'm loving it. I got some coffee from a Melitta bulk station at my local Wal-Mart. I like a strong dark coffee, and I drink it black, so I went their 'French Blend". Still experimenting with my coffee/water ratio and brew time.

I'm going to add that my recent discovery of wet shaving has really perked my interest in doing thing the old school way, and I really like it :)

19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Started to use an all glass 6cup Vacuum stove top Coffee Maker. Interesting experience. Still trying to determine if I'll stick with it or not.

20. Moe

Moe Active Member

Bunn,,,,,, I'd do a French Press or some other method (I do a French Press sometimes), but I'm too lazy most mornings.