How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Yeah, they have tons of stuff. I have a local source of green beans, though. I'd love to save up for their $300 drum roaster... How long would it take for that to pay itself off.... hmm...

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep. Sweet Maria's.
    I've been using the same stove top popcorn popper for 3+ years. Still going strong and don't foresee replacing it anytime soon.
    Thought about a drum roaster, but I've read that the average life span is 3-5 years. I paid $35 for my popper at Target.

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Sunday morning. A little lazy this AM. Made a pot of electric percolator coffee while I shaves. Pot has an auto off on the perc so it doesn't burn. Turned over to a warming cycle. Coffee not bad. Easy clean up.

4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

You've got my interest ! How does the popcorn popper work?? Please.

5. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

+1 to the popcorn popper. I also started out years ago with Sweet Marias as my resource. Since I am the only coffee drinker in the house, it is really easy to make batches last. I did spring for a Rancillio Rocky grinder...

6. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

I'm also interested in trying a popcorn popper. I recently ordered beans from Sweet Maria's and have been roasting them in a skillet on my stovetop. I'm really loving the results so far, but my roasts have been a little inconsistent.

7. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

You've probably already seen it, but there is a good video on Sweet Maria's web site about using the popcorn popper. I bought an iRoast 2, when I first started. It lasted probably about a year. The heat generated makes the plastic brittle and it eventually cracks. They make replacement parts, but good luck finding them. For small batches, I have found the popcorn popper does just as good of a job, plus the minimal cost (versus the $189.00 I paid for the iRoast) is a boon. BTW, one of the things I appreciate about Sweet Marias is that they don't try to hard sell the expensive roasters. They carry them, but they are all about the coffee.

8. swarden43

Just to be clear, I use the stove top popper, NOT the electrical hot air popper.
    I pre-heat it to 400 degrees. Sweet Maria's sells the thermometers for $5. I dump in half a pound of green coffee (it will do a pound at a time, but for me 1/2 works better), shake and crank until I hear the second crack. I like a full city to FC+ roast so half a minute or so into second crack, turn the stove off, then outside to blow off the chaff and let it cool.

9. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

I've never used the stove top popper. I've always used the hot air type. I may get one next time I have a need and give it a try. Heck, if nothing else, I can make some pop corn!

10. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

All this talk of roasting makes me want to get into that side of things too. Thinking of picking up a stovetop popper, and some green beans. Lots of reading to be done I suppose!

11. I'm pretty sure that I will be investing in a stovetop popper next month. That is, if my wife won't complain about the smell...

12. Homebrewer816

Homebrewer816 New Member

definitely a French press after grinding whole beans from a local roaster

13. Everett

I'm temped to go pick up an air popper from the local thrift store and jump in. That way, starting out, I don't need to worry about setting the heat, and I can go plug it in outside in the summer.

14. Everett

You got it sir! None of that bottom blowing garbage for this guy! :p

15. swarden43

16. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

Nothing smells as good as freshly roasted coffee beans... My wife even agrees, and she hates coffee.

17. Steve Martin

Steve Martin New Member

I have a one-cup brewer that I bought at Brookstone a few years ago. It makes awesome coffee, and, since it makes only one cup at a time, the coffee is always fresh. I LOVE Kahlua coffee, which I buy in bulk at Sam's Club. Finally, I don't use sugar but love the dry Coffee Mate.

18. My wife isn't fond of coffee, but doesn't enjoy the smell. I'm not sure how, since there's nothing I'd rather smell. I've been known to use fresh coffee grounds as an air freshener in my car/office before...

19. swarden43

Now there's a thought! I like it!!