Help in picking a Schick injector

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by deoxy4, Mar 26, 2012.

1. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

I have been shaving with a Gillette NEW and a shimmed Gillette Tech for 2 years. I sport a beard. I think I would like to try a Schick injector as its small head is appealing to me.

I realize that there were quite a few models and their shave characteristics vary. Could someone please give me a rundown of the most available models and there levels of aggression?

I am also interested in buying blades in bulk. I would be interested in my blade options.

Thanks in advance.

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I know a little about G's and E's. G's give a close shave and are mild, for me. My favorite, the G1. I had trouble with tugging and uncomfortable shave with some nicks with the E's (E1,2,3). You can get G's, E's, I's, J's, M's, L's pretty easily on eBay, especially the G's and then the E's and next the M's. L's are more expensive for some reason.

3. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I have the following types: E, G, I, I "hydro-magic", J, L, & M.

I find them all to be very mild and the shaves very similar. The only real difference between the E & G is the handle material. E is bakelite, and G is plastic. The I, J, L, & M all have close to the same head design, and the main difference between them is the handle design. The exceptions being the Type M which is adjustable and the Type I "Hydro-Magic" verion which opens for easy cleaning.

I prefer the head design of the E/G over the later re-design. I think it gives a slightly better shave. The one exception, again, is the Type M. Since it is adjustable, I've found that I like it cranked all the way up to 8. It is not super aggressive, but it is more aggressive than any of the other types, and I find that it provides the closest shave (for my face) of any of the Schick Injectors. I have no idea what setting on the M equates to the I, J, L models. I wish I knew.

@lindyhopper66 - The handle design of the Type L is pretty popular. That is why it goes for higher prices.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I lucked out and got the L3(?) Paul Revere silver for around $30. I also have the "Grip". I did notice the older Schicks, E's look very similar to the G's, but for some reason, I do find the E's more aggressive. Could the angle of the head be slightly different or the blade exposure?

5. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Paul Revere is L5. That is one I'd like to have. Schick Grip is L3.

I suppose the Es and Gs could be slightly different. I don't have any with me to directly compare. I know when I've looked at them before I didn't notice any difference in the basics of the head that would affect a shave. There are difference in springs and such under the razor head.

6. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I'm not situated to take fresh pictures right now, but from my photobucket album, my favorite is probably the Schick E2, 2nd from left in the below photograph.

[​IMG]

For the record, these are, Left-Right, types D, E2, F, and O. The D, F, and O are all moderately hard to find and likely to be pricey, although the O is a very nice shaver.

I find the E2 to be just aggressive enough, and unlike the other E and G types, it is easy to clean because of the flip open head. I can't really quantify the aggressiveness, but the Es and Gs generally have the right feel for me, as does the M adjustable. The I and J are pretty good, although milder, the L and N are noticeably milder, and not my first choice. These are all personal impressions, and people will give you different opinions. Types E, G, I, J, and L are all easy to find at reasonable prices, the type M will typically cost you more, but you might be lucky.

[Edit] You asked about blades in bulk. I don't recommend huge orders until you know if you're going to like them, but this is a fairly good deal on blades. If you take to injectors, you can get rebranded Personna injector blades from medical supply houses EMS or Ted Pella.

barbersurgeon and CyanideMetal like this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Good post Slivo.:signs154:

8. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Member

I was PIFd a "G" from mftoms59 on B&B and liked it enough I bought another one. mftoms was generous enough to include an injector of Personna 74 blades and I immediately fell in love. I have since bought a 4 pack of Chinese Schick blades from Amazon and 5 packs (11 blades each) of Personna 74 from Etsy. Still my favorites. Just a good, easy, comfortable shave with little or no irritation, even if I'm in a hurry. And love that small head up under my nose.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Hydro-magic "Golden 500" J3 if you can find one in good shape.

Schick Golden 500 Slide2.JPG

DLP and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. CyanideMetal

Hey, that one looks in fine shape. How much?:bounce015:

DLP likes this.
  11. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

Thanks Gents! Very informative information and greatly appreciated.

The consensus appears to be the G and E are the better shavers of the group and easily attainable at low cost (with the I and J being a touch milder). Looks like a wide range to select from.

I have some experience in vintage Gillette razors in terms of aggression but have no idea how aggressive Schick razors are. Can you give me some idea how aggressive these razors are? I realize that aggression is subjective as one persons lamb is another persons wolf. My sweet spot has been a Gillette NEW (long comb) with a Gillette Swede blade. In my experience, nicely aggressive but not overly so. Are we in the same ball park with
    the Schick? I would consider Techs and all Superspeeds mild, open comb Gillettes as moderately aggressive and Slants aggressive.

Are there any durability issues related to G, E, I or J models that I should be aware of? I am going to buy from an on line source so visual inspection won't be an option. Design looks pretty simple. Of the cleanable models, E2 and I2 (?), are they of robust design?

Is it reasonable to expect to get a few more shaves out of an injector blade than a DE blade? I understand the concept YMMV. How many shaves do you get out of a blade?

I have a metal injector cartridge of Schick injectors, so I won't be buying any blades while I evaluate if the Schick is right for me. Going forward, are the plastic cartridge blades workable with due care?

Thanks in advance gents. You have been very helpful!

Great collection of Schicks in the pics!!!!! Nice examples.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Show Spoiler
    Garfield give him my answer!

[​IMG]

DLP likes this.
  13. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

Nice "500"! Razor looks MINT condition.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

:signs011:

15. CyanideMetal

I have a G1 and E1. Both are fine razors with my E1 being more aggressive than the G1. I also have a Gillette NEW short comb and I would rate them in the same ball park in terms of aggressiveness, but that's just me. I paid $15 each for my G1 and E1.

My advice would be to find you an E series that's clean with no major visible issues. You can then make a call as to whether you want to try a different series injector or not, such as a pristine 500 J3:angry019: .

16. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

Thanks Randy. Most find the Gillette NEW short comb a touch more aggressive than the Gillette NEW long comb, if I remember correctly? Both are in the same ball park, right? If so I should be comfortable with a G or E.
    I would like to get a cleanable razor all things being close to equal, but not a deal breaker. Are there any cleanable G models or only E and I?

I agree $15 area for a solid example to evaluate not looking to bust the bank on a pristine rare.

17. CyanideMetal

When I was researching injectors, I used Jody's injector website for education. Seems everyone has a different opinion about the open spring injectors. Some like it, others think it's too cumbersome and not worth the effort. Like anything more sophisticated than a crowbar, it can be problematic (think TTO vs 3 piece razors), but I'll let those that actually own and use one tell you about their experiences.

18. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

Thanks! Point taken.

19. AwNix

AwNix Member

Schick yellow handles are cool. Very light razor though and the blade gap is pretty intense.

People talk about Injectors but when you look around there aren't actually that many options.

20. BJV

BJV Active Member

My dad used a Gillette Tech and a Super-Speed because he found the DE blades afforded him more shaves, but he used his Schick Injector whenever he had a moustache because he liked the smaller SE head of the Schick for trimming under the nose.

I just bought a nice, clean G-Model on eBay (came with 12 fresh Personna NOS blades) for under $25. I used a Schick Adjustable in the Air Force back in the 1960s, so I'm anxious to see if the shaves are still as good as I remember.