First Impressions/Review Weber DLC BullDog

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by razorx, Mar 31, 2012.

1. razorx

razorx Member

I'm new around here,mostly been reading and getting a feel for the place.I have '48,'49 & '50 Super Speeds,A '57 Flaretip Super Speed,'53 President,New Norfolk,1917 Single Ring

Coming off of my first few days with a new Weber DLC BullDog:
    [​IMG]
    Rocket fast shipping,ordered it on a Friday evening had it Monday morning.
    [​IMG]
    The best way I can describe this Weber's shave is: Effortless Efficient,Effective.....Less than 2 minutes into the first shave it was obvious I had a new "main dog go to razor" in the house. The Weber armed with a Feather blade obliterated whiskers while somehow providing a remarkably smooth irritation free shave.
    [​IMG]
    Drop it onto the cap,lay on the comb,screw on the handle,it's good to go...blade alignment's dead solid perfect.The overall weight and balance felt natural,the deeply knurled BullDog handle made for a solid grip.
    [​IMG]
    It's a laid back silky smooth close shave... Optimal handle angle's easy to find,whiskers disappear with less strokes.I believe Ed Weber listened carefully to feedback...did his homework and put a lot of emphasis on getting the cap and comb of these new cc razors as close to perfect as possible to create the foundation of this new design.The DLC,ARC coatings and stainless steel construction are icing on the cake and serve to make this a rock solid,bullet proof razor that will last many decades.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Have you tried the Weber ARC with the classic handle. I will have one in hand by Monday.

3. razorx

razorx Member

No I haven't...I'm really starting to prefer bulldog style handles.My understanding is that the silver ARC and black DLC coatings are very similiar,but the ARC coating may be slightly smoother.I'd feel comfortable with either one.My Feather blades worked really well in this razor.Congratulations in advance,looking forward to hearing what you think your new Weber.

4. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

She's Purdy must control RAD!!!:char039:

razorx and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Nice razor. I like the finish on it.

razorx and GDCarrington like this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

[​IMG]
    ...to The Shave Den family! :git:

razorx likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nice, I do like that handle. The shape of the head somewhat resembles the Clix metal head, which is also ultrasmooth, more so than any Tech I've used.

razorx likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

razorx likes this.
  9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Welcome to the shave den, fine looking razor

razorx likes this.
  10. razorx

razorx Member

Thanks to y'all for a fantastic welcome !
    Just sort of jumped right in,forgot to post an intro in the newbie forum.

Up close & personal this Weber's more hardcore industrial looking (in a good way) than pretty.Darn thing is so smooth and efficient I could miss my morning coffee and still get a great shave almost too quickly.Just need to be awake enough not to drop it......it's got some weight to it.

Trimming all the way around my goatee and shaving under my nose has never been easier,the bulldog handle's plenty grippy with an abundance of room to find good finger positions and balance.

Noted Gorgo's observation about the head resembling a 40's Clix...yes sure can see it.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

RazorX, we have had an interesting little thread going along the same lines with a member who followed a similar path with vintage razors.

Where the Weber Carbon/Diamond coating will rank a 1.0 on the hardness scale, the material used on these is close ranking a 0.9 on the same scale.
    In my use of these "coated" razors, I get the same feeling of smoothness. Even smoother than the best plated razors. They slide on your face like a hockey puck on ice.

I thought you might enjoy viewing these for comparison.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/got-poor-tired-razors-i-need-help-with-project.23134/

razorx likes this.
  12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have the Weber as well and prefer the BRW handle for added weight and stability. But there is no doubt, it's one smotth, close shaving razor. I love mine.

razorx likes this.
  13. razorx

razorx Member

Thanks for the link to that thread,impressive ! Some striking turn arounds for some of those vintage razors-The painted/plated contrast is way cool as is even the contrast of open comb teeth to blade.I read the 1st three and last two pages got more reading to do but it's definitely on my radar and there's ideas swirling through my mind.

As for the coating itself ?

I'm still processing everything...... haven't had it a whole week yet but I'm consistently getting great close irritation-free shaves every time out for some reason.More than the DLC coating.... I suspect it's the blade placement,shape of razor's head,accurate blade alignment and over-all outstanding craftmanship that are contributing the most but as I move forward with the Weber the subtleties will become more apparent

Bob's handles look incredible,sooner or later I see myself throwing something together with one of 'em.

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Your Weber stainless is nice razorx. At $55 the shaver seems a good value ..about the same cost as many of it's zamac competitors...

razorx and CyanideMetal like this.
  15. razorx

razorx Member

Thanks Joe,stainless steel makes good sense to me.The $55 price is with their regular handle.The Weber's equipped with their BullDog handle is $70
    That's the way I ordered mine,my pictures make it seem more slender than it actually is.

Compared to other SS razor's $70 is a good price.