Louie Bluie single edge blade shaving scene

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AwNix, May 1, 2012.

1. AwNix

AwNix Member

How common is it to shave like Louie does at the beginning of this film w/ just the blade itself?

[​IMG]

lindyhopper66 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  2. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

wow !!! talk about a compact shave kit !!!

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Yeas yeas yeas..son that's a blues man way a shavin'!.:git:

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Basically, he is using a SE blade like a Straight razor. In fact the old SEs were honed and stropped like the Straight razors so he is just eliminating that handle that to him, must get in the way. He got a good close shave so he seems to be working the angles right.

lindyhopper66 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing the video on Louie Bluie. Was he using anything to lubricate his face? Amazing. Talented guy with art and music and love of life.

6. AwNix

AwNix Member

Good video. :)

7. Slipperyjoe

I suppose the new SE blades can stropped and honed as well?..

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Depends. I cant remember whether the stainless blades have coatings that would come off or not. The carbons should be able to be stropped and honed. Maybe one of our SE power users will come on and help us out on this.

9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

At the angle he's holding the blade I don't believe it would cut anything. It might scrape some hair away but not cut any. I hate to be the guy peeing in the punch bowl but I call shenanigans. I think that was just done for dramatic effect.

10. Slipperyjoe

It appears as though further research might be in order here. Apparently Richmondesi has already made an unsuccessful attempt using a feather DE blade. He does say that a SE is probably what is called for. Though I could be wrong, I feel that this not a hoax and that lone SE blades were used routinely in the old days for shaving as a matter of course. Given sparse economic conditions such a thing done with a lone blade which can be renewed continuously by stropping and honing, would make good sense. I'll see what I can dig up...

11. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

Instead of a blade, why not use some flint!!!

12. Slipperyjoe

I wonder if he got that frog..:signs002:

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I doubt it's shenanigans though you're dead on about the useless angle. My guess is, as with many black men, he used a depilatory cream first and only used the blade to scrape it off along with the whiskers. In that case, what we see would make sense (though a butterknife would have done much the same job as the blade, after using one of those creams).

Richmondesi likes this.
  14. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

Depilatory cream makes sense. However, I would like to attempt this again with a good SE razor. The angles shown in the video wouldn't work for me, but I do think I could figure it out with a SE

15. Slipperyjoe

Thanks Paul..here the topic can be discussed without the risk of going off topic lol. If expert Mike can shave with a piece of stone then I'm sure you will make the SE work. Now all we need to know is if they can be stropped and honed..:happy088:

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I can get you a Gem black and gold pushbutton for $4, I saw it today. If you need one that badly, I'll be happy to PIF it to you. I'm being serious - you're gonna lacerate yourself doing it with a blade alone.

17. Slipperyjoe

Lol.. there's probably a learning curve. You may be absolutely right of course Gorgo, but we are a nutty bunch of shavers. I figure it's OK as long as you have the 911 on speed dial..;) Anyways how much riskier is it than a straight raze?..

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

An SE blade by itself? Much. But hey, it ain't my shave.

19. Slipperyjoe

Hmmm..got me worried now. Well as Steve says..it's your shave..enjoy it your way..:eatdrink013:

20. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

well, I didn't cut myself giving it a go with the feather, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Sadly, I just don't know squat about the best SE blades to give it a go with. Thanks for the offer, but I can afford the blades... just need to know what to get:D