Cold Water Shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Metro, May 30, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

You're right once again, Bittermormon, nothing is for sure.

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

For the Fall, Winter, and early Spring I set the thermostat at 60 degree so a warm water shave is a pleasant event for me. Tried cool/cold don't like it. Will stay with warm.

3. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Wow! Had my first CWS this morning and couldn't be happier with the result! I did WTG, XTG and got a closer shave than when I do the same with warm water. The irritation from yesterday is still there so it'll take a few more tries to tell if it really helps me on that aspect. I didn't get BBS however but definitely a DFS. I feel 3 passes would still irritate my neck so eventually, I'll try to compare to 2 pass WTG, ATG to see if I can get closer with the same comfort. I also will try with a splash of WH prior to the first pass to see if there is a difference.

I personally like the cold refreshing water in the morning. It might be an issue at -40 (Celsius!) in the winter, but even in the warm summer, the tap cold water here is really cold!

Azarius likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

(sorry - a little late to the party :ashamed001:)

Smott and GDCarrington like this.
  5. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'll rock the boat a bit... Cold water shaves lead to better results (closer shave in less passes, less weepers, etc) with less and often times zero irritation. Hot water shaves while possibly more comfortable are not great for the skin nor your results. Most of my patients come in with injuries that they made worse by using heat on it because it made it feel good when ice would have helped them to actually heal faster.

lindyhopper66 and J.S. Desmarais like this.
  6. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

As far as temperature's effect on human skin, it's my understanding that the matter is primarily related to the principle of thermal expansion. Nearly all materials expand in volume as heat increases. This is due to an increase in average separation between particles in motion—motion encouraged by the increase in energy. Thus, the practical implications related to human skin include dilation of the pores, which some suggest is beneficial during something like a pre-shave cleansing process in that it opens channels in which bacteria and waste reside. And because it more closely resembles the body's homeostatic temperature, many find it more agreeable. However, a cool rinse is recommended for these same principles: it slows the particle motion, reducing average separation and thereby contracting the skin's volume (including the pores or gaps between), which in turn protects the skin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the research I've looked at seems to suggest that neither extreme is particularly desirable when it comes to caring for human skin. Rapid increases/decreases in energy, with their accompanying expansion/contraction, would be a harsh treatment of even our most resilient cells. Both are capable of rupturing capillaries. And hot water, for instance, is quick to strip our skin of its naturally produced oils (which, ironically, we attempt to replace with third-party "natural" solutions).

I think we still have a lot to learn about our bodies and the effects of our decisions as we try to take care of what's left (hehe). My response to the information I've received is to use warm water to clean and cool water to rinse. These milder temperature variations seem to provide nearly the same benefits as both camps while minimizing daily extremes for my face to endure.

And of course, take all of this with a grain of salt and do what you feel is best for you!!! Who doesn't love a cold, refreshing swim on a hot day?

Azarius and J.S. Desmarais like this.
  7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Avoiding extremes, I can agree with that!

8. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

What fun is that? Put ice cubes in your water & leave all your alcohol based aftershaves in the freezer. Enjoy! :D

9. lindyhopper66

Wow, you are giving me ideas! Also, don't forgot the nice cooling effect of menthol. I can't get enough in most products, so I add some crushed menthol crystals to AS and shaving creams, other than TSD iced and QCS Vostok. Pair that with a cold shave and refrigerated AS and you're good to go.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. lindyhopper66

I'm glad it's working for you so far. I definitely think most people will know cool water feels better on irritated or razor burned or sunburned or scraped skin than warm water. When skin is already irritated, I wait a few days of not shaving and then use cold water. It's wonderful stuff.

11. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Yeah, just a quick note on the science of menthol (for those who didn't know): menthol mimics the effects of colder temperature by opening the same ionic channels that temperature does. This basically alters the electrical charge which, when alerting the central nervous system, triggers the perception of "cold." That's why menthol seems to feel "cool" even when the temperature remains constant. And this despite the fact that the contractions and other effects of cooler temperatures are absent with these chemical triggers.

Azarius and lindyhopper66 like this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I had a nice screaming red sunburn on my head, and to be able to shave it again I used a combination of ice water, FOUR drops of M-Bomb and MWF soap to get moisture and a comfortable chill on it. Worked out great!

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  13. lindyhopper66

I like the way menthol tricks me into feeling cooler, Smott.

Smott likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I knew you would get here eventually! :happy088:

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  15. lindyhopper66

Yes, swarden43, thanks for saying that. It cannot be said enough.

16. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Man you're a beast. I would've just let it grow out I'm a pansy lol. Unless you suffer from chronic baldness (which I hope not.)

17. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

No, I just hate having hair on my head, it gets all funky looking when I'm wearing a beret most of the time ;)

Ryan Bales likes this.
  18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The US Army finally wised up and got rid of the beret unless for ceremony. I just keep mine at a medium fade, number 1 or skin on the sides and bangs within regs. Or occasionally get a buzz when I get a wild hair.

19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

When trying to isolate the possible cause for my irritation problem, I left menthol aside for awhile. Now I ordered TSD balm (unscented) and a few sample af AS with no menthol. I also bought M bomb on the side to see if it'll make a difference. Also will allow me to use the same AS in the summer but to make it cooler. Sure feels nice but burns when irritated!

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Make a difference how?